Out2gtcha

First up was my attachment solution for the OOB resin spinner. OOB, it had a lame attempt at a hole in the "center" of the spinner, and I use that term loosely, as an attempt is all it was. 

I measured and got the center of the spinner and drilled it out to accept a larger diameter brass tube, then sunk 1 consecutively smaller size brass rod inside the fly wheel that will eventually be glued to the front of the Lycoming. As you can see, to get things to line up correctly I also had to shim the bottom of the spinner w/some thin plastic card stock:

2017-01-16%2016.13.43.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.13.52.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.13.58.jpg

Im leaving the fly wheel off (and have sanded out the back of it to accept the front of the block of the Lycoming) until after the engine, and cowl have been mounted. This way, no mater how the engine aligns inside the cowl, or now matter if Im off a bit, the spinner itself will stay true to the cowl lines, and end up looking straight and clean. I also glued on the air intake screen on the cowl, and got it contoured with the rest of the lower chin area:

2017-01-16%2016.11.19.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.11.29.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.11.36-9.jpg

While things were drying for the spinner assembly, I finished off painting the brass engine stand I made that will hold the second Lycoming Thunderbolt engine I got from Icaero Designs:

2017-01-16%2016.23.50.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.24.44.jpg

You can get an idea of what Im going for with the secondary engine mount I made here. Its just dry fit, and setting here via gravity, but it all still seems to fit after painting which is good news:

2017-01-16%2016.25.39.jpg

MORE...........................

I got a good start on the solid metal gear as well as sanding and smoothing not only the tires, but the wheel pants, which needed not only needed their exterior sanded smooth, but had to have a hole drilled to accept the round dowl part of the gear. The metal gear looks like SAC type metal, but it isnt, and seems quite strong and stiff. Icaero Designs put a nice little square notch in each of the wheel pants, and a correspondingly sized square protrusion on the gear, to help align things:

2017-01-16%2016.15.04.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.15.35.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.15.45.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.16.08.jpg

I still have quite a bit of finish sanding to do on the gear yet, including priming. Its now (tonight hopefully) time for me to get the cowl on, so I can push on and get the wings and gear on, so ultimately I can get primer on.   That meant having to secure the 1st Lycoming Thunderbold and engine mount to the air frames firewall. 

I did just that using thick CA and no accelerator, sanding the engine mount ends as needed to shim the engine to align with the correct (or as correct as I was going to get it) thrust angle:

2017-01-16%2016.22.19.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.22.34.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.22.42.jpg

2017-01-16%2016.22.55.jpg

Ive been expecting a shipment of new aluminum bodied nitrogen charged shocks for the Jeep to come today while I sit and type this (UPS still says its out on the truck for delivery) but alas, this CRAPPY weather is looking like it will get them delayed.

Oh well, I think its time to press on and byte the bullet, and glue the cowl on.

Cheers until your older! 

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Ingenious solution to the spinner mounting ... sure looks good.

Geez, the engine stand for the second Lycoming looks just the part painted in yellow.

I was to quick on the draw. The steel spring gear, brakes and wheel fairings looks super. She really starting to come togther and looking Oh So Good.

Nice progress for sure.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Peter, Harv, K1, thanks a bunch gents, very kind of you to say.  

Mo progress to show, even if not SUPER big. Ive been getting a FLOOD of Jeep upgrades in prep for our April Safari trip, so unfortunately the modeling bench has taken a back seat................pics in a min 

Well, I took it upon myself to take the gear and dry fit it with the help of some blu tak. The gear are NOT aligned nor set, and are a bit off, but again, just setting in their places for now to get an idea of what it will look like. 

MAN PhotoBucket is fast today!!!    I uploaded 5 pics, in about 10 seconds................

Still not a very big aircraft, but looks neat with the pants on:

2017-01-16%2018.17.34.jpg

2017-01-16%2018.17.44.jpg

2017-01-16%2018.18.28.jpg

Finally, I know its not much but I DID manage to get the cowl glued on.  It was not without its fight though. I had to damn near sand through one side of the joint, as unknowingly the resin in the particular place was SUPER thin before I started. 
I managed to fill with a mix of thick CA and micro-balloons, and it seemed to help the stability of that area. After the CA set up, I gave it another round with some 400 grit, then some 600 grit, and finally a slathering of Mr Surfacer 1500 black. At the same time I had the can of MS 1500 out, I also primed the fly wheel, spinner, prop blades and wheels/tires:

2017-01-16%2020.48.58.jpg

2017-01-16%2020.49.30.jpg

Now it I just need to let things cure (which to be honest they likely have, already, but need to do some other stuff tonight) and after curing, Ill likely start going back over the cowl joint, and really smooth things out. 

After the cowl joint drys, Im going to re-scribe any lost detail on the fuse, then I can set about getting the wings and horizontal stabs on.

Thanks for checking in on me......

Cheers! 

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Nice work fitting the cowl and she sure looks good on her gear even it they are only blue taced on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys!  Very kind, and thanks for posting. Today, Im visiting the LHS and grabbing some more sanding sticks, as I need to keep the fuse to cowl joint level, with no dips or low spots before I prime things.............and before I prime things, I need to re-scribe the fuse. THEN I can move onto gluing the wings on next. That actually shouldn't be too difficult, as they are fairly stright forward, and they seem to sit fairly nice in their sockets on the fuse w/ little or no gap, and hopefully no need for filler. 

Im going to make another start on the little Extra today, and see if I can get the wings and horizontal stabilizers on berore I go back to work on Monday...................we shall see! 

Cheers

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

I have my fingers crossed there will be another update later today with the wings and horizontal stabilizers on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Ok, as promised, I got the cowl joint smoothed out, then I started to re-scribe it, and managed to knock a 2 or 3mm hole in the side of the cowl that I subsequently had to fill, sand and re-smooth. Then I gingerly and very lightly took a fine razor saw to the repaired area for a panel line scriber instead of a needle, and a micro drill for rivets/fasteners, I managed to get the rescribing finished on the fuselage.

Then I used some gap filling CA and attached the resin wings and tail planes. The CA seems to stick like gang-busters to this resin, and as the wings were solid  but still very light, I figured out an Alclad cap was just about the right height to get the dihedral right, so I used them as a jig to make sure the wings were equal and aligned. 

That all turned out about as well as one could hope for at this early stage, as I have not yet done any cleanup work or sanding.

The wing to fuse joint was not bad, and may need some more work after priming, but at first glance its not bad. The cowl joint did need lots of work but that was more due to the thinness of the resin VS any actual misalignment between parts:

2017-01-22%2021.25.40.jpg

The dihedral is SUPER flat on the Extra, just like it is on most acrobatic planes, even VS say a Reno racer, simply because these acrobatic planes covet maneuverability and agility over even speed. Its as good in most any position in the sky, and is inherently a bit un-stable for that very reason, but still easy to control since the control surfaces are SO large compared to the wings.
It just looks funny with near flay dihedral:

2017-01-22%2021.26.36.jpg

2017-01-22%2021.26.48.jpg

The cowl has been the biggest PITA of the whole thing so far, but it remains to be seen what it will really look like and if it will need any refinement until the full primer coat goes on:

2017-01-22%2021.30.15.jpg

2017-01-22%2021.27.51.jpg

2017-01-22%2021.28.08.jpg

2017-01-22%2021.28.44.jpg

2017-01-22%2021.29.48.jpg

Its starting to look more and more like an Extra, but a TON of work still left.  Cheers until next time!