Spitfire MKI/II

Whoakay...Day 9, and I got it gloss-coated and decals on it. Starting on weathering tomorrow. Been doing a LOT of background work on my next model for the carrier group-build besides building this. Going to try and surprise you Loic! :rolleyes: Completely scratch-built project. I know you like playing the "I've got a secret game", so here's a hint. Ahem...it doesn't have wings...OR a fuselage!(OK, 2 hints, it's not a helicopter. :rolleyes: ) he he.

But I digress, here's the latest pics.

post-4413-1219844088.jpg

Some small 'different angle' pics,...just cause I liked em.

post-4413-1219844287.jpg

post-4413-1219844338.jpg

post-4413-1219844358.jpg

Nice little fun project to play around with until the next group-build starts. Just might get this 2nd Spitfire done in less than 2 weeks. Cooool. :rolleyes:

Doooh, Hate to show up without any pics, but I was kinda bored and wanted to pop my head up and see what everybody else is doing for a change.

Thanks for the kind words Matt, didn't think I'd see ya in an RAF thread you Luftwaffe crazy-man! :P Still haven't forgotten about casting the ME-110 engines,...just promised myself to finish this last Spitfire before the dead-line, and finish a fun low stress project before getting back into trying new things. OOB is a nice change.

He he!, as much fun as I had trying to visualize a shopping cart with an arrestor hook on it, with an inhabitant of Russville flapping his arms like crazy with a beanie with a propeller on his head, lining up for a catapult shot off a carrier.....no Kevin, it's not a shopping cart. <_< You only get 2 more guesses dude. :P Here's another clue(s). It will have 2 PW-R2800's...and would have been up-graded to turbo-props. It is dimensionally smaller than a Spitfire.(!) It was actually built. It was designed in 1939 and built in 1944. It would have been the slowest, AND fastest aircraft of it's day. Stalled at 40mph-top speed 475mph with radials/550+mph(?) with turbo-props. It could hover in a 28mph gust,(!) and was almost impossible to stall. Carried 6-50cal mg's or 4-20mm cannon When they destroyed it with the advent of jet AC in 1947, they dropped a steel ball from a wrecking crane on it 3 times....without denting it! US Navy carrier capable aircraft with an arrester hook. I will be making a 'production' version if it had gone into service. I am getting my plans/research material from Bulgaria. Ooooh what the heck, might as well hijack my own thread and show some fuzzy top-secret 'intelligence' pics from Russville. :o

This will probably give it away, but these are some cad plans I whupped up from some 'paper airplane plans'(!) glued to some cardboard and cut out to trial fit tonight. Took me exactly 37 minutes, and none of it is glued. This will be in styrene when I do it 'for real'. Just wanted to show I ain't foolin around. he he. :blink: I'm not expecting a lot of 'rivet counters' giving me unsolicited advise on how to build this? Aaaaahhh.

post-4413-1219918303.jpg

Interesting? Later, Russ A.K.A "The man of mystique & mystery" Whoooooo. :huh:

P.S. No, no, no Azgaron! :P This is only a hobby, a fun hobby. This isn't a race, or a contest. In the big picture, we're only building toy airplanes. I MAY not finish this Spitfire,...never know, I do have a 'real' life' and may take a break to watch the Fantastic 4 like you also! The sun will still shine tomorrow and there's still a lot of cool stuff to build whenever I get around to it even if this is a little late. Really glad to see you're back, participating, and having fun....that's what it's all about!

Hey Russ,

I think you should read again what the topic of the next GB is about: carrier based airplane.... not fancy alien space ship or UFO :o

I think I have seen this.... thing.... near the Roswell area sometime ago :blink:

Can not wait to see more dude!

Cheers,

loic

Hi Russ,

So jou're gonna build a Flying Pancake! :o

post-4267-1219921963.jpg

(Vought XF5U Flapjack)

Though it never flew a mile due to the advent of the jet aircraft it was intended for carrier operations.

Great! I'll watch your scratchbuilding project with interest. :blink:

Cheers,

Peter

Sounds/looks like an interesting project Russ!

No, I'm well aware that it isn't a race! I'll try to keep the deadline anyway! I had hoped to be able to do more than masking the canopy parts during this week! I perhaps I could have if I've wanted to get to bed late and arguing with a grumpy girlfriend! :)

I might just make these last few days if I start painting after work today! And if I don't so be it, it's just for fun as you said! :P

Cheers,

Azgaron

Whoooo! Roger that on the girlfriend Azgaron,...my latest has threatened to 'wake me up with a baseball bat in the morning' a few times if I didn't fly right-side-up. :P Gonna miss her,..eventually....or at least her pancakes. It was whilst musing upon a breakfast she was threatening to make me wear if I didn't eat, (she WAS kinda feisty, and I don't eat breakfast. :huh:, hehe ) and trying to ignore the fathomless chatter, that I came upon the idea for my next build. Can ya'll tell I'm a confirmed bachelor?

A "geometric fart?", Kevin. WELL!, I...harumph...puff/huff...mumble... will have to agree with you on that! :unsure: I'll take that as a compliment from an Aussie,....right? ;) Bwhahaha!

I'm in a pretty good mood tonight. Why? Cause I reached that magical point in every build, where there is nothing left to do!! I FINISHED, whoohoo! Basking in the glow of completing my 2nd Spitfire, and it only cost me $15 and took exactly 2 weeks to accomplish. :P Time for a huge chocolate milkshake, and a fistful of cookies. Aaaaah, life is good.

Still have to wait for daylight to take my final pics for the gallery, but here are some previews. Slide show time;

post-4413-1220180681.jpg

post-4413-1220180702.jpg

post-4413-1220180729.jpg