Spit Reference Photo

mdeanstrauss

Shot this a couple of months ago at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry... nice "in-flight" display bearing down on a Stuka just in front of it... seeing it psyched me up to finish off my Tammy kit... They also have a captured U-Boat down in the basement... went on board... pretty cool...

p1038855980-5.jpg

The U-505 is the star of the Museum of Science and Industry.  They have moved it to an indoor exhibit all of its own.  I was there two years ago and it was well worth seeing.  Both the Spitifre and Stuka are nice.  The Spitfire in particular is very close to the walkway and as you can see from the photo above you can get fairly close to it and get a good look. 

The U-505 is the star of the Museum of Science and Industry.  They have moved it to an indoor exhibit all of its own.  I was there two years ago and it was well worth seeing.  Both the Spitifre and Stuka are nice.  The Spitfire in particular is very close to the walkway and as you can see from the photo above you can get fairly close to it and get a good look. 

I've downloaded quite a few photos of the sub, but that in no way can compare to being right next to it, so I really hope to get up there this summer. Interesting that they basically scooped out a huge hole in the ground, then put a roof over it after the sub was in place.

what are those 'strengthening strips' on the wing?

that's not an original MkI feature, but I am sure Edgar / other Spit experts will chime in

always got to take museum exhibits with a pinch of salt

Those are the same strengthening strips frequently discussed in connection with Spit Vb models, though since I'm more of a 1/48 follower* (not to mention Spitfire follower) I acknowledge that it's less of a topic in "big" circles!

*I recently organized part of my stash, and was rather surprised how many 1/32 kits there were- and that wasn't all of them.  Still, 1/48 far exceeds...

bob

Wow, that does look cool. Chi is only 8 hrs or so drive from me (round her that is not all that much IMHO) Should really make a trip up their again..................

though since I'm more of a 1/48 follower*

As long as you dont call it "quarter" scale like so many seem to do. No clue why that bugs me SO much.  I know why those who do, do, but its ridiculous and bugs the crap out of me for whatever reason.
Probably because I grew up with my father flying actual quarter scale; IE 1/4 scale R/C ships, so when someone calls *that* scale quarter scale, it sends a shiver of disgust up my spine.

Edited by Out2gtcha

I've been in the sub twice and it's quite excellent... the sea warfare and how the sub was captured exhibit on the way down to the sub are also excellent... MAKE SURE you purchase a ticket to get onto the sub, otherwise you'll walk out of there the way Sonny Corleone describes it...