Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa with some 'improvements'

Iain

Cooking tea - and I think I now have a plan for the wing underside - and the radiator bath area - that's so cunning you could stick a tail on it and...

(Blackadder anyone?)  :)

#hungry

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Iain

Amazing pace for sure and from your progress, the Revell offering is well worth the huge sums of greenbacks, all 20 of them. Sure glad my kit is now in the waiting to be built section of the stash.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

The CAD 'bulges' are an interesting phenomenon.. recall the 219 had a few....

Hiya Matt - indeedy - and the He111...

I think it's hit here with the rear fuselage - and the wing roots. May also explain cockpit side bulge - but not convinced.

CAD has transformed the mould making process in this hobby - but has added a few quirks of it's own!

Iain

I think it's well worth the money Peter!  :thumbsup:

And, well, I quite like the odd challenge - especially a kit that's been right royally trashed in some quarters. I think it's called modelling - and it's good fun!  :)

Iain

CAD is no magic wand, it is just another tool. You have to know what you want, as well as how to do it, before it can work. If you don't really know what you want, even if you know the tools, it ain't gonna work.  Like any other tool in an artists hand, unless there is a passion for getting it right, the output is going to be lacking.

So yes, you need considerable skills, experience, knowledge and PASSION to get the best out of this process.

Tim

PS My CV is up-to-date, if anyone is interested......

If you hold the Tamiya fuselage over the Revell, same side fuselage, you can see the shape issues forward of the cockpit quite clearly, I did the same with the Tamiya against the Hasegawa and they have pretty much the same cross sections.

Edited by Kagemusha

Hi Iain,

Nice work so far. I'm enjoying reading your approach and the list of fixes, keep it coming.

Something I noticed from your images of the kit IP is that the gunsight mounting is offset to starboard. Is this correct on the full sized aircraft?

Cheers.

Something I noticed from your images of the kit IP is that the gunsight mounting is offset to starboard. Is this correct on the full sized aircraft?

Have been wondering about that too - had always assumed it was central (but you know what assuming makes* don't we!  ;) ) trying to find something definitive - unfortunately have lent my Morgan/Shacklady Spitfire bible to a friend...

Edgar - you there?  :)

In progress - base colours on the pit done - detail painting/weathering started. Pix to follow...

Iain

* an ass out of u and me - allegedly ;)

Cooking tea - and I think I now have a plan for the wing underside - and the radiator bath area - that's so cunning you could stick a tail on it and...

(Blackadder anyone?)  :)

#hungry

Iain

call it a weasel (love Blackadder)

Anyway I'm looking forward to this as I quite like your no-nonsense approach to fixing the shortcomings of kits. Have the He219 build bookmarked to when I start mine.

:popcorn:

Thanks Thomas - we'll see with this one I guess...

As an aside (and different mark) - but couple of images I took whilst we were participating at the D-Day 70th commemorations - gives a good view of the fuselage curves/overlapping panels (click on image for larger size):

10446273_10152192472263123_2384587460933

10355445_10152192475503123_4872073014439

Have FUN!

Iain

Latest pic - just about to mask off behind the seat bulkhead/frame to spray it aluminium silver - I almost forgot!

IMG_3156.jpg

Then detail paint, instruments, washes, wear.

Those ejector pin marks won't be seen - so ignoring.

Although it's a restored Mk Vb - this page is quite a useful reference.

EDIT - seat armour is wrongly fitted in photo - now re-done.

Iain

Thanks Maru  :)

Here's the interior with aluminium painted areas done - now I can get on with detail stuff (more fun that carving and sanding  ;) )

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

And starting through the fixes for the wings:

Hatched area at front will be reshaped by bending/formers added inside.

Radiator area - this will be altered simply with plastic sheet to give the correct internal shape - should be straightforward. Deeper rad easy - you get duplicate parts in the kit so will mount one above the other and adjust for height  :)

Raised patches - marked in red circles - I think (as with those on the upper surface) these are reinforcement plates seen on later restorations - need to check a few images - but will probably be removed.

IMG_3180.jpg

And the upper surface 'plates' - these will be removed with a scalpel.

IMG_3181.jpg

Whilst we're at it I'll probably alter the gear bay bulge a little...

IMG_3182.jpg

Off to bedski - they've been harvesting the field next to the house this evening - only just knocking off for the night... Close encounters of the harvesting kind:

10527286_10152306150528123_4181711689857

Night folks!

Iain