Modeling a Squadron

Bill Cross

Kent Karlson's FABULOUS diorama got me to thinking about building something like that myself.

7698-300617083933-1102617.jpeg

I'm drawn to a bunch of Marine Corsairs in the Pacific, and wondered if there are decals or masks that would allow two-three planes from the same unit to be parked one beside the other? Jennings? Montex? Eagle Editions? I'm all ears.

Edited by Bill Cross

I like it Bill. I'd guess right off the top, that with good art images, someone with a mask cutter could make what you need. a mix-n-match of Corsair's would be nice as well.

Kent Karlson's FABULOUS diorama got me to thinking about building something like that myself.

7698-300617083933-1102617.jpeg

I'm drawn to a bunch of Marine Corsairs in the Pacific, and wondered if there are decals or masks that would allow two-three planes from the same unit to be parked one beside the other? Jennings? Montex? Eagle Editions? I'm all ears.

Think perhaps Kent has most of us thinking this way....really one of the nicest dios I've seen. very inspirational.

Kent's diorama is spectacular. There are all kinds of skills and experience displayed there...figure painting, historical research, terrain and vehicle modelling. Not to mention artistic composition and story-telling. Definitely inspirational.

I've thought of something similar, a couple of aircraft back on their hardstands returned from a mission, the pilots and ground crew standing and rehashing it all. It's just that at my speed of building, it would take decades lol. There was a photo in Jeff Ethel's book Fighter Command which had I believe Maj. (at the time) John Landers and a group of 55th FG pilots and ground crew standing around the tail of his Mustang. The pilots were all still in their flying gear and the others were listening intently...there were other planes and pilots in the background. It just struck me as very evocative.

I also thought of a display of one squadron's aircraft throughout its history.

Edited by R Palimaka

Ernie, you should continue with your current project - the WWI seaplane base at Felixstowe.  All you really need are two or three more WNW F.2A models and a couple beaching ramps and gear.  Now that you've built one the rest should only take a couple months to knock out...

I'm more inclined to the history of a unit, ie a line-up of types operated. Eg 74 Sqn RAF - SE.5 to Phantom via Spitfire and Lighting. But this has some great ideas.

TC from my forum has done this and donated them all the to 74sqn association

Its a fun idea and works with a lot of subjects...could be an interesting way to enter a "Collection" category at a show?....the Corsair idea would be great.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by joker