Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

Andy

WOW .. absolute precision work ... looking simply perfect

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter, The AIMS parts are very good and easy to work with so far.

Regards

Andy

WOW! Some excellent work here :)

Watching with great interest, Ju-188 is definitely one of the most beautiful WW2 airplanes and one of my favorite too.

Best regards

Hubert

I agree with you Hubert, The Ju-188 is a beautiful looking aircraft and hopefully I can do the AIMS conversion justice.

Regards. Andy

Very nice work!! I have this one to do as well but may do the photo recon A5 first

Thanks for stopping by Simmo, So many nice versions of the Ju-88 to build its difficult to know where to start. If this one goes well I think a 388  will be on the to build list for me as well.

Regards. Andy

Nice build, indeed. AIMS kits are great.

Be aware that the major challenge still is ahead: Fitting the two large canopy clear parts together (and to avoid cracks, frosting, glue finger prints and all that horrors)... Good luck! I'll Keep my fingers crossed!

Regards

- dutik

[...]

Be aware that the major challenge still is ahead: Fitting the two large canopy clear parts together (and to avoid cracks, frosting, glue finger prints and all that horrors)... Good luck! I'll Keep my fingers crossed!

Regards

- dutik

For such tasks I'd recommend any odourless CA glue: no frosting, clear when cured. Little bit weaker than standard CA, but strong enough to keep the parts together. For me it always works perfectly. 

Best regards

Hubert

Nice build, indeed. AIMS kits are great.

Regards

- dutik

Thanks for the warning dutik.........keep thinking about exactly how I'm going to tackle the cockpit as a whole, I have a few idea's on how I will go about it but in the mean time I will get all the cutting up/ easy parts of the conversion done.

Regards. Andy

Having an unexpected day at home  I set about work on the tail plane and fitting the resin extension pieces.

20170512-133436.jpg

As you can see the unmodified kit parts are below the converted, due to the way Revell have you construct theses sub assemblies first you have to fit the extension to the control surface and then build the plastic parts together prior to fixing the resin wing tip.

20170512-141438.jpg

And this is what I have ended up with today.

20170512-202343.jpg

The fit of these extension parts are really nice, I've also had a look at the aileron extensions but these will need some serious work by the looks of things

Regards. Andy.

Edited by monthebiff

Have spent today painting and installing the Profimodeller tail wheel assembly. After much deliberation I sprayed the parts RLM 02, after seeing some online shots as well as the Ju-88 displayed as RAF Cosford some of the U/C parts looked to be an anodized gold colour....... where they painted RLM 02 initially all those years ago who knows so artistic licence said they where....... 

20170402-131025-1.jpg

20170402-131028.jpg

Then the huge spine piece added which needed a fair bit of trimming to get it to sit flush.

20170513_202212.jpg

Not bad but not perfect and some work required, then on to cutting back the lower fuselage insert.

20170513_202028.jpg

20170513_202034.jpg

Pretty happy with progress today, lots of sanding, filling, sanding etc followed by my most favorite job of re-scribing is next on the list!

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

It's really nice to look 'up' into a tailwheel assembly and see parts that actually look like they will make the wheel extend or retract into the space.  Very nice!  Love the way all of the parts are being prepared.

Gaz

Thank you Gaz, In the end I'm leased I added the tail wheel update set as it does add some interest to the massive hole that is there. Really enjoying this build so far, I really like working with resin and chopping a base kit in to pieces so this conversion is right up my street!!

Regards. Andy

I am really enjoying watching this come together - I started one but didn't get too far before getting distracted by something else so I am living that build through you :)

It will make for one impressive model when done - do you have a scheme planned? I was going to do a dark blue French aeronavale one as they had a few - think the one I liked was also used as an HS293 testbed in that scheme

..I remember getting frustrated by struggling to find references too, so if you need any, I did build up pretty much most of what could be found out there - particularly in the cockpit so let me know if I can help..

Peter

• 4 weeks later...