Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

DSCN6317_zpsmgxii6ge.jpg

Mostly together now.

DSCN6318_zps5nke4jra.jpg

I slipped the shrink tube over the solder inserted into the header.  The pipework is the breather tube.

DSCN6319_zpsuaindjul.jpg

I tried my hand at some oil slip streaming.  Not so much.  I ended up taking Chucks' sound advise, no coolant pipe tie-in to firewall.

DSCN6320_zpscyrpikuh.jpg

Other side.  Sure looks grungy.

Thank you for looking, liking, and your very supportive comments.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, one and all.  I really appreciate your compliments.

Bjorn, You'll be sorreee!  Just kidding.  I thank you for considering what I've done as thought for emulation.  This whole painting business has been a real exercise in patience.  Until I started painting this model I had no idea that a model required so much detail painting to look effective.  But then, it's only the fourth airplane I'll have finished as an adult.  The other three didn't have nearly the detail this has, or the considerations.

Martin, you're so funny.  This is the first engine I've ever painted.  It has taken a lot of research, as much as any scratch built component, to come to what it is now.  Part of the research problem for me was finding photographs of dirty Mustang engines.  All of the Mustang engine photos I found were of restored aircraft.  I had to use a diesel engine and compartment as a reference.  Then figure out colors and their application.  Having never done anything like this, and I mean everything, not just the engine, I had/have no idea how what I had/have in mind would look like in the end.  I'm just trying to do the best I can and not mess it up.  Especially being so close to the end.

Thank you, Chuck.  I just tried to apply as thin a layer of oil paint as I could.  At times I had to go over what I had done multiple times, the wash was so thin.  I just tried to make it as transparent as I could.

Thank you, Thunnus.

Thank you, Wolf.  I can hardly believe that I see a light at the end of this tunnel  I'm so glad to be at this point.  I'm taking it slow now so I don't miss anything, which I feel would be easy to do with what I perceive to be so many details to consider.

Thank you very much, Andy.  Still things to do, of course.  Besides the tie-in to the fire wall, and reworking and installing the propeller, I've decided to remove the painted tape I've been using as (rubber tube) fasteners and replace them with strips of silver decal.

Thank you, Granger.

Hamfists, I didn't know that!

Thank you, Kevin.

Again, many thanks for your wonderful comments and continued support.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark