• Alain Gadbois likes this

#167 TorbenD

TorbenD

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

A joy to watch this coming on Alain - some lovely scratching going on - I’m learning some new tricks too. 

Torben

• Alain Gadbois and Shaka HI like this

#168 R Palimaka

R Palimaka

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

Following this has been like a lesson in scratch building, and it has actually taken away a lot of my anxiety of trying it. I've learned a lot that I'm using on my build. Thanks so much for sharing all that you've been doing.

Richard

• Alain Gadbois and Shaka HI like this

#169 mgbooyv8

mgbooyv8

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

Nice progress!!!

Cheers,

Peter

#170 Alain Gadbois

Alain Gadbois

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:13 AM

Thanks guys!

Richard, I am very happy that my posts have encouraged you to scratch build! The Mustang pouch with the zipper is really top notch and that worn wood floor is something I looked at and thought this is a technique I have to remember!

Here's what has been done in the last days.

I painted the main wheel wells with Alclad aluminium. Now there are many little bits to paint in RLM 02 in that area plus final assembly of various details.

pFnrrBT.jpg

The brass sections have been epoxied in place to cure the wing warp.

PZ3Vu6a.jpg

The wing slats will be represented open so, before cutting away, I reinforced the leading edges with epoxy putty, before taping the wings halves together until the putty sets.

m1c0zhV.jpg

Ckuawtp.jpg

Then the halves are taken apart, the slats cut from the top and bottom sections of the wings and joined together. When the wing halves are joined, the top part rests on the epoxy, maintaining the wing profile!

Ox9XDgX.jpg

The slat back in place to trace the position of the sliding rails. 

GrRLLoF.jpg

I made a little sample of the colors I need to paint the aircraft: RLM 02 gray, 76 light blue and its green variation.

Here is the Tamiya sample of 02 next to the Monogram color chip: quite a bit dark! Actually, the Japanese army grey is closer!

uwc44y7.jpg

Centre is the mix of both grays to make a pretty good match.

pMuJSxs.jpg

Next is the RLM 76 which is XF-23 with a lot of white, almost 1:1. the green variation is Sky out of the bottle and looks OK.

FdP5EP7.jpg

OK, it is 0:00 tonight on June1st and it is slowly dawning on me that my project might not be finished at the deadline!

But I will continue, and once more, I thank you all for your comments! I watch all the builds and it is really motivating! I have not finished a model for myself in 10 years and this forum has been so much help to get me back building for fun!

The next GB is fantastic as I must be the champion in the Shelf Of Doom category. Although I do plan that all the kits there will be built, some have been waiting for more than 25 years....

• MostlyRacers, Dany Boy, BradG and 2 others like this

#171 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 38,760 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

Terrific work as always, Alain! This build is such an inspiration. Would you like me to move it to the SoD GB when it opens?

Kev

#172 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

please keep this one going! I've got to see it all wrapped up

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#173 Alain Gadbois

Alain Gadbois

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:12 AM

Thanks, Shawn. I will finish this one!
Kevin, you can move it to the new GB. While not exactly from the shelf of doom, I can say that the 262 will be saved from going there by this new GB!
Also, if you have time, why not participate with your X-1? The trouble with the fit of the rocket nozzles has been adressed in a number of builds, even here on LSP.
Regards,
Alain
  • R Palimaka and LSP_Kevin like this

#174 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 38,760 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:01 AM

Thanks, Shawn. I will finish this one!
Kevin, you can move it to the new GB. While not exactly from the shelf of doom, I can say that the 262 will be saved from going there by this new GB!
Also, if you have time, why not participate with your X-1? The trouble with the fit of the rocket nozzles has been adressed in a number of builds, even here on LSP.
Regards,
Alain

All moved! Sadly, I don't have any time at all for modelling at the moment. The combination of trying to launch a new business while being primary carer for my family during my wife's treatment for breast cancer, means that I have very little time or energy for much else. Performing my numerous LSP duties soaks up whatever's left of me.

Kev

• R Palimaka likes this

#175 Gene

Gene

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Like your colour study - very well presented.

#176 Alain Gadbois

Alain Gadbois

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:21 AM

Thank you Gene!

I have worked a bit on the wing slats in the past few days. I am out of town a few days, so I hope I can show the progress on the 262 sometimes next week!

I have been very busy preparing many molds this summer, so I didn't have much chance to work on the project since my last post in June.

Alain

PS I had answered Gene's post on August 13 or 14, but it seems to have disappeared somehow....

Edited by Alain Gadbois, 20 August 2017 - 02:25 AM.

• Daniel460 and Shaka HI like this

#177 Shaka HI

Shaka HI

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

OK..I'm not losing my mind..I swear some of my posts have disappeared! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users