US acquires 63 x F1 jets for OPFOR

GMK

Lack of spare parts strikes me as the most likely reason. It's not like Vlad the Impaler would be willing to sell any...

Hi Jessie-

You'd be surprised. Acrojet came very close to buying a MiG-29UB to put to work as a contractor. The issue we had was not support, but funding such a unique acquisition.  The jet is still for sale-It is currently in Quincy Illinois. One of four that are there, but the only one of the bunch assembled and flying. Support for the aircraft was do-able. Lots of spares available in Germany and Ukraine. It is essentially just a big L-39 in terms of systems and support. Paul Allen owns one as well. I had lengthy conversations with his people about supporting the aircraft while we were getting smart on the jet.  

Pride Aircraft in Rockford sold 2 SU-27UB's a few years ago. Steve Kerick, Eagle-driver bud of mine did all of the test flying. He said that there was support infrastructure in place for those jets as well.. So much so that Pride will likely bring a few more into the U.S. 

Cheers,

Pete

I wondered that too. They got a nice sized fleet of MiG-29s. You'd think they'd use them....

They cant use them because the IP is written in cyrillic. :)

Glad they bought something french, though. A pity they did it while the aircraft is not even produced anymore.

Seriously, guys we needed a 1/32 Mirage F1 kit, but now we need it twice.

Edited by Zero77

With the F1 they are getting a NATO standard (yet dissimilar) plane so fitting it into things should just be a lot easier than with a MIG, everything from comms to fitting ACMI pods should be good to go with the F1.

Edited by Marcel111

Guest Airfixer

For the record...the future operator is an outsourced civilian contractor, and not the "U.S.".

It'll be interesting to see whether ATAC USA/TEXTRON Airborne Solutions is going to either entirely replace or only supplement its current fleet of Kfirs and Hunters with the Mirage F1.

According to several sources, 30 to 45 of the 63 airframes currently in storage at Châteaudun AB are slated to be refurbished and modified by SABCA in Charleroi, Belgium. The modifications will also include the removal of "sensitive" French AF equipment. The deal, stating a 300m  Euro price tag, also comprises the remaining French AF stocks of spare parts as well as the operation and maintenance costs over the next 10 to 15 years. By the way, SABCA is majority-owned by the Dassault Group...and has a long-standing experience in maintaining and upgrading Mirage F1 aircraft and is designated to provide depot-level maintenance for ATAC USA.

http://www.air-cosmos.com/les-mirage-f1-seront-vendus-aux-americains-97721

http://www.atacusa.com/atac_company.html

http://www.atacusa.com/atac_operations.html

http://www.sabca.be/pages/0135/Defence.en.php

http://www.sabca.be/pages/0141/News.en.php

The remaining inventory of ex-Armée de l'Air F1CT composes the lion's share of the 63 airframes in question, supplemented by aditional F1CR and F1B airframes.

Today, playing the bad guy is not only about going air-to-air...the latter is only one asset in ATAC's portfolio. See link #3...

@Neo:

Ever been trying to spot a Mirage F1 during within-visual-range engagements head-on from, let's say, one or two miles away? The F1 is as slender as reed and really hard to spot. Even from the ground. Apart from that, the Mirage's ATAR engine lacks the MiG-29's massive smoke trails.

The Mirage F1, particularly in its F1CT multi-role guise, will be well able to perform the adversary role. Even by today's standards, the F1 is still a very capable, versatile, reliable, rugged and proven design to do the job. And by teaming up with SABCA, ATAC USA will be able to use an already existing, highly capable and experienced support and maintenance infrastructure.

Edited by Airfixer

Alas, yes it seems that's Putin and the russian now. But we french never really were the big bad guys, we only were stupid cowards and traitors. :)

I saw a (french) report this week called "why do foreigners hate us?". In fact "foreigners" means "american". Damn, i heard things really shocking that were broadcasted on some US TV Shows.... According to what i heard : We french stink, we are arrogant, we are lazy and only work 6 months a year, we are almost a kind of rapists and everybody is having sexual intercourse with anybody, we are cowards and always flee or surrender, our army sucks, we are traitors, and so on... Very wrong and not nice at all.

The only things that were true is that our leaders dont always set a good example (you know François Hollande and his scooter is also considered as stupid and ridiculous in France, and everybody here consider Dominique Strauss Khan as a pervert !), and indeed we have a pretty strong left branch, and our leaders usually have no balls and just give up to the first difficulty.

The conclusion of the report was that "the american" hates us because the british hates us, and the british hates us for centuries because England was founded by some french who kicked out the original anglo-saxon kings. :) Funny !

Indeed France was much stronger at the time of Kings...

Sorry, i'm digressing from the Mirages  ! :)

Edited by Zero77