Rattle Can Clear Coat

holzemjo

Hello dear LSP-community,

I joined the forum some time ago and I am regularly impressed by the quality of work that is shown here. I myself started to build models very recently and have not done any large scale work as of yet (a 1/32 Mosquito and Arado Ar 196 are in the stack however and will hopefully be started soon!).

The problem is, that I am somewhat of a dinner table modeller, more precisely, that I have neither the money nor the space to buy airbrush equipment at the moment. As a consequence, I do all my painting with brushes. With my last models I had just applied decals on top of the normal

colors and then put the model on the shelf, but the more I read here, the more I want to get better and try new techniques. So I decided, it would be vital to start clearcoating the models, the problem being, that I don't have an airbrush, like I mentioned.

So I decided to use rattle cans instead. I went to the hobby store yesterday and bought a clear can from Molotov, that I tried out, unfortunately the result was a disaster. When I lay down the clear coat in thin layers (like you are supposed to do as per the instructions), I get an almost sandpapery finish that really has nothing to do with the word 'clear'. When I started to paint thicker layers the paint started to run and formed noses and splutters (albeit becoming a bit clearer). So here's my question: Can anyone recommend a good rattle can clear coat and are there any tips for a rookie like me on how I could achieve better results? It would be greatly appreciated! I could also send photos of my results so far if that helps, although it's would really be shameful to post this kind of bad quality on a forum where you normally get to see so much top notch work...  :oops: 

Best regards,

Jonas

I used MM clear to coat the bottom of my Fokker D.VII wing (before I ripped all the decals off - not the clears fault) right out of the rattle can. The MM Ultra Gloss stuff goes on fairly thick looking out of the can, but dries really rock hard and self levels very well:

20170705_180928-XL.jpg

20170705_180938-XL.jpg

I used MM clear to coat the bottom of my Fokker D.VII wing (before I ripped all the decals off - not the clears fault) right out of the rattle can.

Yeah, I've read about that, what a bummer :-/ The gloss coat sure looks great, though!

Thank you all for the tips, it seems that Model Masters is the clear favorite (or the favorite clear? Hehe...)! Unfornutately, the cans seem impossible to come by in Germany (which is odd, because just about everybody sells the other colors...), so I basically have the choice between Tamiya, Mr. Hobby and Revell. Does anyone have any preferences/experience regarding those three? Many thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

Best regards,

Jonas

Edited by holzemjo

Never used Mr. Hobby or Revell clears but, I have used the Tamiya. It's very nice but kinda pricy, at least here in the states. My go to clears are MM in the 3oz. spray cans. My local craft stores carry it and with a 50% off coupon plus another 10% off with my military ID, it costs me about $3.00 a can.

Steve

Never used Mr. Hobby or Revell clears but, I have used the Tamiya. It's very nice but kinda pricy, at least here in the states. My go to clears are MM in the 3oz. spray cans. My local craft stores carry it and with a 50% off coupon plus another 10% off with my military ID, it costs me about $3.00 a can.

Steve

That sure is a good price! As Mr. Hobby, Revell and Tamiya cost pretty much all the same (unfortunately a lot more than 3$) here, I have decided to give the Tamiya stuff a try. Let's see where that gets me...

I am also thinking of trying MRPs line of clears as well. I have invested in a LOT of their colors lately, and and am super DUPER happy with their colors, so Im hoping their clears are good too.......

Guest Peterpools

Jonas

:post1:

The guys advice should work perfectly and the clears from the rattlecan will provide a nice smooth, clear base/finsh.

I'm not sure how much rattle cans cost in Germany but after a while the cost does add up. You might be better off just saving up for an inexpensive air brush and compressor set which will last for years and offer a lot more versatility.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the abundance of tips provided! Really makes you feel right at home! :)

Peter, I completely agree with you, an airbrush would be awesome, not only for clearcoating, but for painting in general. There are so many things and techniques on here that I would like to replicate, but that you just can't do with a brush (shading, salt technique,...) Unfortunately, money is not the only limitation, but I also lack the space! As is mentioned, I model either in the living room at the dining table or in the bedroom, at my desk. Neither of those allow for any kind of permanent modelling setup and and I think my soon-to-be wife would probably kill me (and rightfully so), if I started to spray around with an airbrush in the living room :fight: As soon as I can afford a bigger place (will finish my studies later this year and start to work in january), I plan on getting a place to permanently leave my stuff and - of course - an airbrush! :frantic: Until then, the good ole brush and rattlecan has to do it for me...  :whistle: 

Greetings,  Jonas