1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

Joel, the loadout looks great!! Funny how the MERS wouldn't fit..I use Baremetal foil on oleos, works really well with no fear of pulling up paint.

Don

Don,

Thanks for checking in, it's much appreciated.  I was really surprise to about the fit of the MERS. I wasn't expecting that at all. Now I have them and a few more Snakeyes left over.

Joel

Joel, just had a good read the the whole thread, think you've done a great job with the kit so far. Are you planning on any further weathering with it? 

The bombs can be a tricky one to build modulation into, they're a great candidate for chipping and washes to give them additional 'life' but those safety wires add a lot to the effect. 

Joel, just had a good read the the whole thread, think you've done a great job with the kit so far. Are you planning on any further weathering with it? 

The bombs can be a tricky one to build modulation into, they're a great candidate for chipping and washes to give them additional 'life' but those safety wires add a lot to the effect. 

Breaker,

Thanks for taking the time to read through the entire build thread to date. 

the Scooter is as weathered to the reference pictures as I want to get.  As for the bombs, they're all multi-layered for color modulation, and have received a black wash, followed by a dust/earth filter. Unfortunately, the weathering doesn't show up as well as it does in real life. The original Yellow bands were pretty bright, but were toned down a great deal by the wash and filter. My take on bombs is that they're a one time use weapon, that's been stacked till needed. I'm going with the assumption that they're fresh off the supply boat.  For every picture of a bomb beat up, there is one that shows one in fairly good condition. 

The arming wirers are a point of interest that almost everyone has picked up on, and is the focal point of the loads. 

Joel

Joel, the Mk.82's lookmgreat, and very neat job with those wires.

Thx for the kudos regarding my Chico build but I actually wired up the TERs, although I did replicate what I think are some kind of wire tracks on the Mk.77 CBUs I mastered (the AMS ones).

Cheers,

Marcel

Work has been slowly progressing with completion of the front landing gear. For some unbeknownst reason, Trumpeter molded the wheel and strut assembly as one piece, which made painting a nightmare for an old one eye kook like me.  In the end, I'm more then satisfied with the results. 

The front assembly and associated parts were  airbrushed with Mig Ammo Gray Acrylic primer. Then I masked the oleo off, polished the primer with a 6,000 Micro Mesh pad, and air brushed on Alcad 2 Gloss Black. The more I use it, the more I really don't like it. Tamiya's Gloss black thinned correctly gives me a more consistent finish, that dries in a few hours, not a few days. So a few days later I polished out the Gloss Black, then Air brushed the Oleo Alcad 2 Chrome #107. I let that dry overnight, then removed the masking tape on either side of the Oleo, and masked the Oleo with some very well detacked Tamiya tape, and I mean Detacked until it barely would stick. Next I air brushed on Tamiya XF-2 White, sealed it with Tamiya X-22, and when dry applied the one decal to the front of the strut. Sealed the decal with X-22, and then applied a black oil based wash. Once dry, good old Testors Dullcoat was  used for the overall final Matt finish.

The front wheel brake assembly was constructed with a protective tube for the hydraulic lines made from plastic rod. the lines were made from lead wire and painted black as well. Straps were made from masking tape painted flat steel.  I've since started on the main gear which has been an adventure in themselves. 

Here's a few pictures of the front landing gear installed. 

Joel

gQbxF3.jpg

Qiutjh.jpg

h11Wdg.jpg

ZLVbfd.jpg

nWbXNx.jpg

Joel, the Mk.82's lookmgreat, and very neat job with those wires.

Thx for the kudos regarding my Chico build but I actually wired up the TERs, although I did replicate what I think are some kind of wire tracks on the Mk.77 CBUs I mastered (the AMS ones).

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

My error. I just remember how super detailed your stores were. Ground breaking detailing in every sense of the word.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Brilliant work on the nose gear and for sure, all the arguing we've done over the years on how to do the oleo's, as usual proved me the 'WINNER'. I've also long converted to Tamiya Gloss Black as my base for both Alclad and AK metallics.

The higher resolution makes a huge difference in clarity and sharpness and so much easier to pick out the details.

Super worl

Keep 'em coming

Bro