1:24 Trump Hurricane IID (Oh Big Guns)

TaffyMan

Very nice work so far Taff! Nice to see a Hurricane in 24th.

HÃ¥kan

HÃ¥kan - Thanks for looking in - 24th is the way forward......... I see several Typhoons in my near future :innocent:

Taff

Just lovin the progress. The details, bits and pieces look tremendous.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter – Detail uhmmmm? You try to leave it alone….. and just do it........  :hmmm:  then it strikes what if I do it like this AHHHHHHHHH  :frantic:   

Pit looks excellent. :punk:

Ah Keven thanks for look in did I see you doing a big Trump German? :wicked: Bet I see Big Typhoons in your Future aswell - I went and drooled and stroked the plastic three times at the show on Saturday I can confirm Airfix have done a gorges job on it and I can't wait till next June!!!!

Taff :D

Ok hi folks bit of an update.

I have done more than I am showing here but no access to computer with right software to process at the mo - but hope to remedy that in the near future……. As in tomorrow!!!! :D

Some more brass works on. The cover for the rudder actuator, Trump tell you to cut off the whole plastic bit to replace with the expansion kits brass. But just whilst doing a test fit I noticed that the brass actually fits over the moulded bit really well. So thinking if this works it will save me loads of time in trying to line every thing up, and keep it square. I just nicked a bit of the end as I would need to cut the bleeding thing off anyway! Scraped out the gulley to get it to sit back under the new brass cover, looked fine to me so then stuck the brass down. :thumbsup:

027-Hurricane-IID_zps3e47a0ea.jpg

Just one warning to anyone else doing it this way - is I would fit the base bit (with the rivets) of brass first then the cap as I think it would be easier to fit and sit neater.

Next bit of tiny brass bits, the undercarriage.

After some cursing I re-thought my approach to these tiny brass straps. I had already cleared the mouldings of the legs so they where going on! No matter what!!!! So I stuck one of my small files down with tape and used this as a guide to shape these pesky things.

028-Hurricane-IID_zps651fd7f8.jpg

Test fit on to the leg hmmmmmm that fits a bit better than my first effort! Lucky you get a couple of spares on the brass set. :whistle:

029-Hurricane-IID_zpsf1f0d727.jpg

030-Hurricane-IID_zps88864677.jpg

The others test fitted. I held the legs in place with a bit of PVA glue so they didn't move around whilst I test fitted. PVA tip I picked up on LSP but can't remember from who!!!! But thanks who ever you are?

Right then the wheel bays – Trump give you quite nice detail on the centre part but as you can see you don't get any for the other parts of the bays, just blank walls. You don't get much more with the Brass kit! Just some structure frames for the front wall and a couple of ribs for the back, which look massive in scale, so I didn't use them.

031-Hurricane-IID_zps24aa8495.jpg

So after much scratching of my bolding napper – thought ha!!! :D I will have a go at some foil? So using some thin paper pushed into the recesses to give me the rough shapes. These where then cutout and test fitted and tweaked and FAF'ed until a nice tight fit. I then rubbed down some foil on to some DryTac double-sided film, that we use for exhibitions'. Then scribe and rivet – a bit of swearing and toy throwing and doing it again – and I got this! :clap2:

032-Hurricane-IID_zps9c4a8d0d.jpg

Hope you think it's improved it – I think so. The back panel was made out of some candle foil. This is a lot thicker than the kitchen foil used on the rest. As I needed to put a semicircle shape into it, where the arm meets the main bay.

This meant, as it's a lot thicker, that I couldn't blend the edge in as I had done on the other pieces. I did try but it just wouldn't bend in a tight enough curves! So rather than wreck what I had done – it was time to reach for the superglue and talc mix then some MrSurface 500 rubbed back to blend.

Masked off the edges to keep my supper glue paste where I needed it and not spread over the wings – learnt that lesson the hard way! :BANGHEAD2:

033-Hurricane-IID_zps5454a322.jpg

After a several thin coats of aluminium primer from a rattle can and a gentle rub back of the paint with some kitchen towel. Looks okay to me what do you think?

034-Hurricane-IID_zps61fb96f5.jpg

Okay folks all for this one I have progressed this further and the bays are all finished and weathered. Also started the Big Guns so as soon as I get my computer sorted I will post my efforts for you!

Till next time fellow plastic mashers  - have fun!!!!!

Happy Days - Taff :D

Not sure if you have seen this......hope it helps.......Your build is AWESOME 

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/uk/hawker/hurricane/ap-1564a-hurricane-i-aeroplane-merlin-ii-engine.html

Love this build and am looking forward to following it!

http://www.avialogs.com/en/engines/united-kingdom/rolls-royce/merlin.html

for merlin engine stuff...

Edited by Dan Paxton

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Nice work and dealing with all the brass parts - nerves of steel. I've spent a ton of time on my Mustang adding tiny PE parts  but fromt eh look of it, you're going to be knee deep in them as they are an integral part of the kit.

Looking mighty fine

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks and I hope everyone is now fully recovered from the festive period – me I finally got rid of the extra half stone I put on about a week ago!!!! Quick to pile on bleeden ages to get rid of it!!!!!

Long time since I last updated this build. I have been slowly ticking away at her but just not put it up on the site. So here goes with the fist instalment. More to follow soon - ish

Guns – Big Guns
I do like big guns on a plane – I don't know, just gives them that bit of umphhhhh!!!! :piliot:

Think that's why I like the A10 so much. It just looks angry, even when it's stood still!!!! So back to one of its forefathers – the guns in the kit are okayish but I wanted to show one of them open and being worked on. So they aren't up to that!

Okay the only option, as I can't find any in this scale in AM, would be to try and scratch one. Gulp! :frantic:

I took the attitude that I would do the scratch one first and if it went wrong I would fall back to using the kit one and seal both up.

So first, I cut some brass tube that was the correct diameter to the length and then made a sleeve with some more brass tube slipped over the top. This I cut shorter and shaped the end by angling a file to it whilst I spun the tube. This all got glued together, then I pushed a bit of wider plastic tube over the top of this and trimmed it to the size. This will be shaped and bits added later to give me the cocking mechanisms and the magazine mount. I noticed that the recoil housing had a couple of thinner sleeves, I made these by wrapping some thin foil around the barrel. The final bit for this stage was to put the stop on the end – cutting some circles out of some plastic sheet and gluing them into place made this stop. At the other end I heated some plastic strip up and shaped it arround the barrel. This was stuck with supper glue and shaped with some fine sand paper. Hope that makes sense!

Anyway enough chitter chatter :blah:  hopefully the pictures will say it better.

But first a big thanks to Peter at Airscle as whilst chatting to him at Telford last year he generously donated some of his off run brass etch bits to me for the detailing – so this meant I didn't have to cut up my good stuff! Cheers mate very much appreciated.

I was quite happy with my effort so I took the saw to the kit part and replaced the barrel so that it matched my effort. Both guns magazines are just placed at the mo and not stuck.

You can also see the work I did on the cocking bits etc – sorry forgot to take pictures of these as I was in the grove!!!!

035-Hurricane-IID_zpsf023bcf8.jpg  

Also did some work on the exposed Magazine – you wont see much because most of it sits inside the wing!

036-Hurricane-IID_zpsdd8c2de1.jpg

Next bits to sort out is the gun cowlings – think that's what they are called – The main problem here is that Trumpeter made the seal all on one side only. But in reality the seal edge was on both halves. Not a biggy for the sealed up one but a PIA

for the open one! I first rubbed back with sand paper stuck to some flat wood the seal area so it was thinner and inline with the cowling edge. Then using this as a guide I carefully draw the shape onto some plastic sheet. I then cut out the shape and stuck it to the other side. Then it was a case of cleaning out the centre part and rubbing it back to blend it in. A bit of Mr Surface 500 was painted on it and then more rubbing and done. Just then needed to do all the very fine drilling for the holes – I filled one side with some very fine brass rod for what would be the fixings and trimmed. 

Couldn't find any reference for the Gun Cowlings but I am guessing that there would be some kind of chute to take the spent cartridges so I made these out of some foil from mince pies – and they where very nice too :thumbsup: - it was the season to be jolly and fat when I did this bit!

Also shows the only reference I could find on these guns.

037-Hurricane-IID_zpsa8b2a12f.jpg

A bit of a test fit to check my measuring lined up okay. I did intend to put two prongs to hold the open gun but thinking about it just using the one gives me a chance to adjust it and line it up!

038-Hurricane-IID_zpsdcaa3fc3.jpg

039-Hurricane-IID_zpsb754c0c2.jpg

040-Hurricane-IID_zpsdb4c803f.jpg

Quite cuffed with that so next I added some colour. First up primed it off with some aluminium car primer from a rattle can.

041-Hurricane-IID_zps6e6b813a.jpg

Then in full colour

042-Hurricane-IID_zps8a1f535b.jpg

Cool I am like those ‘Big Gunsâ€! :yahoo:

Okely dokely folks that's all for this one till next time happy plastic hacking! And see you soon.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Holy Cow, fantastic work on the scratch built guns ... the detail and final appearance is simply stellar.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Cheers guys for looking in and all your nice comments - Sure does help you to push on!!! :D

Tim yeah I nearly did SEAC one myself - but I have always been a sucker for the the British desert scheme ever since I was a nipper and I did a 1/72 Tomahawk with a toothy smile - Uhmm 1/72 my eyes worked back then!!!! now doing 1/24 so I can see it!!!!

Tim got any pics of it would be nice to see her?

Okay bit more of an update - trying to catch up with where this project is acutely at! So some of the other little bits done.

Started with the spinner. This seemed a bit chunky on the holes. So using a Dremel cone grinding bit and spinning it in my hand - must invest in one of them power regulator things so I can do this with the actual Dremel - I slowly thinned the walls
Picture shows the difference and it seems to sit better with the backing plate.

043-Hurricane-IID_zpsaf183414.jpg

The props had a slight sink mark at the base on each blade. I filled these with some talc and glue and after some rubbing and shaping gave then a coat of Mr surface 1000. whist smoothing this out decided I would also thin the trailing edge of each blade.

So after some paint here is the nose completed in gorgeous technicolor - I will give this some weathering and a bit of oil when I do the rest of the plane.

044-Hurricane-IID_zps9793e7b9.jpg

Next one to tick off the small jobs list - the landing lights. OOTB they look a bit like old fashion car lights with Trumpeter putting the bulb in the bottom of the reflector. This is wrong as the light points back at this reflector. The PE parts in the expansion kit for this are nicely done and once painted look quite convincing.

045-Hurricane-IID_zps159eb4b3.jpg

The reflector was first scoured out with my Dremel cone grinder, once again by hand. After some Mr Surface was applied and once this had dried I stuck some polished foil in for the reflector, pushing this in place with a cotton bud. I also added some cheap sticky clear plastic beed things I got from Hobbycraft - think they are meant for card making but worked ideal for the bulb and where a £1 for 50. Just then needed to add some thin painted wire to the front.

Picture most probably says it better and clearer.

046-Hurricane-IID_zps482c1f86.jpg

Moving back to the nose from the wings I started working on the front engine cowlings. Not much to do on these, the bits I did, was to drill out the air intake on the side and add in a small tube that you can see in pictures of the real deal. Also I filled in the holes where the stater handles go. I filled it in with some of the off cut Airscale brass that Peter gave me and some plastic tube - not accurate but once all painted black you shouldn't see to much but IMHO better than a empty hole.

047-Hurricane-IID_zps8235f1f4.jpg

Then just to inspire me and see where I am at I pushed the prop on! Uhmmm starting to look like a Hurricane know.

048-Hurricane-IID_zpse182a921.jpg

Thanks for looking in Any comments or advice always welcome.

Till next time Happy Plastic Bashing - Taff :D