Revell Hawker Hunter - Swiss J-4013

amurray

And I look forward to seeing how you achieve this effect!

I've bought three shades of orange and yellow to go with what I already have. I'll do a lot of practice on scrap plastic.

Of course, if it doesn't work I can always default to a pristine J-4013 when first painted dayglo. :wicked:

4013-2.jpg[/url]

Edited by amurray

40 years ago, I had a German Starfighter with day-glo tank bands, and they were perfectly faded- That's what i was told by a modeler back then, who asked how I did it.... They faded because they were in the hobby shop window for a couple of months! Nothing like fading the paint the same way it happened on the real deal.

40 years ago, I had a German Starfighter with day-glo tank bands, and they were perfectly faded- That's what i was told by a modeler back then, who asked how I did it.... They faded because they were in the hobby shop window for a couple of months! Nothing like fading the paint the same way it happened on the real deal.

That's a good point... Might be worth a trial

I've bought three shades of orange and yellow to go with what I already have. I'll do a lot of practice on scrap plastic.Of course, if it doesn't work I can always default to a pristine J-4013 when first painted dayglo. :wicked:4013-2.jpg[/url]

What a great picture!

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some test fitting. The KMC (True Details) tub will not fit inside the fuselage if any of the pour stub is left. It also will block the nose wheel well assembly. So I spent about 20 minutes sanding the sizeable pour stub off. Be careful! The natural tendency is to grip by the consoles of the cockpit tub and P-R-E-S-S down H-A-R-D!!! One risks breaking off the console. So go easy. You can see in the photo that the consoles are very thin (cockpit is upside down in the photo).

33333013915_f546b5b9a8_z.jpg

The intake assembly can be a little tricky. The interior pieces go to the outside of the locator stubs. One has to constantly remind oneself that with the Hunter kit one is meant to view the outside of the assembly as opposed to the inside of the assembly.

33292194546_1191f5c599_z.jpg

There are 4 large ejector pin marks that require filling. I can see now this is going to be a recurring problem with this kit.

Edited by amurray
Photobucket Reclamation Project!

I love the Hunter and this paint scheme. I have a Hawker Fury project going which is a pretty different aircraft from a different era but from the same desk of  Sir Sydney Camm.  Good luck! 

Edited by Jim Barry

Doing assemblies now. Some tips and suggestions:

33333025145_4a6fe23d64_z.jpg

The Swiss version requires opening numerous holes for stores and antennae on numerous pieces. Do this first! Find 'em and drill 'em out!

32518738603_a8ba967fdc_z.jpg

Measles? No, just some of the many ejector pin marks that require filling - flaps, wing intake, cockpit fuselage. Find 'em and fill 'em!

Edited by amurray
Photobucket Reclamation!

The intakes are tricky!

33205175031_51525dca93_z.jpg

The instructions are clear not to glue the intakes to the fuselage. What is NOT clear is that one does not glue the intake upper and lower pieces but one TAPES them before fitting them to the fuselage. Also, the instructions show the upper and lower pieces upside down. DON'T FORGET TO ROTATE THE PIECES! No clue as to why they did this.  Heavy drugs were involved?

33177782522_81f162bf4c_z.jpg

33333023855_ea4e92422d_z.jpg

THE INTAKE PIECES MUST BE ABLE TO MOVE AS YOU FIT THEM TO THE FUSELAGE!  (Worst engineering in the kit!)

Edited by amurray
Result of the Photobucket Ultimate Screw Job!

The wing upper and lower halves fit almost perfectly IF YOU FOLLOW THE SEQUENCE BELOW.  Glue the tip and leading edge

pieces LAST.  Otherwise you'll have a significant mismatch.

32518747763_5df5f3c817_z.jpg

Don't forget to fill and sand the ejector pin marks on the inside of the wing intakes.

Edited by amurray
Photobucket Screw Job!

Sorry for not consolidating some of these posts but tonight Photobucket is setting a new standard of non-performance even for their poor website - crashing every 30 seconds or so. Took me over an hour to do these three posts above. I've been meaning to get a new photo hosting website. This will just prod me to do so.

NOTE of 1/23/2023:  If ONLY I had heeded my gut instincts and acted I could have preempted Photobucket's soon to strike massive screw job!

Edited by amurray
Photobucket's massive screw job!

The Swiss version has 13 open attachment points on the underside of the wing alone. There are more elsewhere on other parts.

33292220636_7512771725_z.jpg

Inside the wing there is a large locator pin with male and female moldings. The area above both moldings has a sink mark on the surfaces of the wing, upper and lower. It occurs on both wings. I'll have to fill them.

While your at it remember to open the ports, upper and lower. I'll fabricate the doors for these later.

Edited by amurray
If you guessed "Photobucket" you are correct!