F4U-1 birdcage

fastzx

That blue is gorgeous! You are right, this plane looks amazing with the original insignia. I have wanted to do this plane since seeing a painting by Robert Taylor. Now I don't have to. I'll just lookk at yours. :rolleyes:

Matt

I'm ... adding some light weathering (though not too much, as these were almost brand-spanking new machines, reaching VMF-124 in October 1941, and on the Canal in early 1943)

Jon,

Your weathering is excellent, in my opinion: clearly suggestive, yet almost subliminal -- and I know from personal experience how difficult achieving that effect can be.

Charles Metz

FINALLY the end of my carrier GB the failed GB so now I'm close enough so I can start on th rising sun GB J7W1 Shinden "Magniicent Lightnig" experimental interceptor.

This is my Revell Corsair:

Hasegawa F6F engine-wired

rescribed entire plane - a first for me

Pre-shaded paint job - another first for me

seperated rudder & elevators

Scratchbuit cowl flaps, oil cooler/intercooler intake and opened up oil cooler bypass ramps

converted with Horizon vac Birdcage scallops and canopy

Jerry Ruttman resin prop hub with original early style Revell blades

Black Box resin cockpit - a first for me

Resin wheels and tires

Scratchbuilt landing gear from aluminum tube added detail to tailwheel assy

Moskit exhausts

scrounged early style markings for Ken Walsh's VMF-124 white 13 Early 1943

I think that is it - I still have a few details to add but wanted to move on to the next GB

post-791-1238119084.jpg

Hi Jon,

I am glad to apparently be the first to comment your MAGNIFICENT work on that mighty bird.

I love it! I just love this airplane and you have done justice to it IMO.

Congratulations my friend.

Cheers,

loic

Jon,

Your Corsair has turned out splendidly. You made a really good job of that conversion (I hope that my patterns come out half as good as yours). I love the final scheme - it really brings the model to life - well done :lol:

Cheers

Derek

This was a must build for me after seeing Murph's birdcage.

Take an old revell and and a ton of aftermarket parts and lots of rescribing, etc, and it actually looks like an early Corsair.

My favorite two changes were the resin cockpit (a first for me) and the really nice Moskit Corsair exhausts. I also love the blue-grey color scheme.

I just had to do this one because Ken Walsh was the first "Corsair Ace" and VMF-124 was the first Corsair squadron to take the fight in the Solomans on the offensive.

Rog Connent and Ken Walsh joked that he (Ken) was a Japanese ace due to the number of Corsairs he got shot down in, ditched , or plowed back into parked Corsairs on the line while trying to bring a damaged one back. Walsh went on later in the war to score one more victory in an F4U-4 bringing his total to 21 (all achieved in a Corsair)

Thanks everyone! Nice to have encouragement.

It sure feels good to get it finished and move on to the next.

One last shot then on to the Shinden "Magnificent Lightning" J7W1 interceptor B-29 killer.

Jon

post-791-1238157809.jpg

Jon,

Your Corsair has turned out splendidly. You made a really good job of that conversion (I hope that my patterns come out half as good as yours). I love the final scheme - it really brings the model to life - well done :)

Cheers

Derek

Derek,

I come nowhere near your abilities to create. That Tempest project is Awsome! I am lucky to achieve what I can only with russian plans and fuzzy photos.

With respect,

Jon