Dumb airbrush question

CANicoll

I have a question that I should know the answer to, but I'm certain I'll get a lot more information than if I just look it up on the web:

If the point of my airbrush needle is bent, what are the impacts of that?

What I THINK happens is this:  paint spatters and instead of the spray coming out in a nice, straight pattern from the tip, it may come out at a crazy angle, or not evenly.

Does that cover it?

I recently ordered a new needle for my Iwata HP-CS as I know the tip is just a little off, but the one in my Precision Aire is extremely fragile and easily bent (I know this from experience and from last nights session. sigh).  I only recently started using the Precision Aire after sitting in its box for ages but it is has I think a nice.5 needle instead of the .35 in the Iwata so it covers the big 1/32 models much easier (wings, fuselage).  Not the best airbrush, I know.

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, it will not spray evenly and drips form behind the bend as the air flows around the bent bit.

You MIGHT be very lucky and be able to straighten it by rolling the tip VERY GENTLY on a piece of glass,under the tip of your finger, but the metal is usually so weakened by the bend it cracks and breaks off. But worth a try anyway, as you are going to have to replace it anyway! 

What might be more of a problem is that if the needle has bent so much it actually touched and damaged the nozzle, you might need to replace that as well. That will definitely splatter and there is no cure for a nicked or split nozzle other than replacing it.

Ho hum.

The new needle arrived Saturday and was able to use it yesterday - that seems to have taken care of the splattering problem, thanks!  I did carefully roll the old needle on a glass plate and that worked too but as Tim pointed out, the metal may be weakened so now I have a spare.  I compared both under my magnifying glass and the old one definitely had a bit of a bend to the tip.

Now if I can just get Photobucket or Imgbox or Imgur to allow me to post pictures to LSP again!

Thanks guys for the help!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll