Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

getting down to the nitty gritty stuff now. I painted the wooden head rest and since this pilot is a flight leader according to the white and blue bands on his aircraft, his crew went to the trouble of installing a padded headrest. I'm thinking seriously about making better seat belts but at this stage I'm wondering if its worth it.

I'm confused as to why they'd make the effort to add a comfy headrest for a pilot who's about to be ripped to shreds anyway. You did say these markings represent a “Divine Wind” aircraft, so what were they thinking? Crazy Japanese.

Kevin Williams

quick reply guys, believe it or not I'm in Washington DC. Just went to the Udvar Hazy center yesterday and am sooooo stoked!!!!! :o :o Walking around the REAL N1K2-J for the first time, J1N1 Gekko, Do-335, Arado 234, P-47, F6F, F4U, P-40, B-29, He-219, SST Concorde....total aircraft overload!!! :lol: :lol: Quick, somebody slap the CRAP outta me so I realize I'm not dreaming :blink: :o :huh: :P . As to the prop color for the Frank...dang thats a tough one. It was about 14 years ago so I'll have to say I honestly don't know but what I usually do is pick the best reference image I can and blen colors until I come up with best match according to my Mk.1 eyeball. As for "what's next"...great question. I thought I had that figured out until I strolled around the 1/1 scale magnificent beauties yesterday. Now, I have to be honest...if I had a 1/32 P-61 that would be next...I literally got chills when I saw it. Very intimidating, like it was alive...don't know how to explain it. He-219 is very impressive and lethal and HUGE to be a fighter, so is the D0-335. I'm rding a big wave of inspiration right now so I'll have to settle down and return to sanity before I can figure that one out. This morning we are leaving soon for the NASM museum so I"ll get another dose in a few hours. You guys are the BEST :lol: :lol: , it's so good to have somebody to share all this with cause my family just stared at me yesterday as I did backflips, tap dances and sung sonnets around all those aircraft for over 3 hours and they just said ho hum. Oh, I got hundreds of images on da camera too...More to come.

:(

Fine looking planes sir!!!

That museum in DC is great. They had too drag me out at closing time........

I had a very similar experience at the Air Force museum in Dayton a few years ago. I actually think I’d be perfectly comfortable living in the place. I felt like the boy in “Empire of the Sun” when he stroked the Zero. It gave me chills to be in the midst of so much well presented and preserved aviation history. Kudos to the museums of the world for the job they do. :(

Kevin Williams

Typhoonattack1 asked a question earlier about why would a Kamikaze pilot who was about to be torn to shreads be concerned about a padded headrest or for that matter use a parachute, helmet or boots. Sorry it took so long but the best I can understand is this. When the Kamikaze pilot is going on his "last" mission he sees it as a sacred event, the highest calling he can achieve. He would wear his very best set of gloves or boots and would want to be in full uniform as to be fully prepared. Much like the way we rent tuxedo's for weddings and black tie events. They would also paint special markings on the plane (see the arrow shape on the fuel tank) and wear special badges on their head or arms to signify and honor the occasion.

;) :huh: :lol: Good one Mike, you're right...I could've used a better comparison but either way you're risking everything you've got and hoping for tje best results. ;) Did I just say that? Hopefully my beautiful, loving and devoted wife won't be sorting through this thread and get the wrong idea. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...