Need some quick advice, please

Gazzas

Hi everyone.

This one is for my Pops.

081940.jpg

082033.jpg

I have to ship it overseas to Alaska, soon.  Real soon, as I'll be presenting it to him when I go there mid-June.

It has raised detail which has caused me all kinds of problems.   I had to use decals to replace raised lines along the spine seam where they were sanded off.  Also because of the raised detail I haven't been able to sand the paint as smooth as I'd like.

Now I have to weather it.  I want to do a thin black wash to highlight the panel detail.  I also want to add some light streaking.  But which first?  I'm not super-experienced, but I really don't want to mess it up.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Gaz

HI Richard,

Thank you!  Although I've done my best at color modulation, and despite the monsoon of decals and stencils it still needs a little something.  About 15 months ago, my Dad sent me a photo of one of his squadron's birds with some of his other ground-crew mates (obviously he took the picture)...I think it was a subtle hint.  I had to make some custom decals to get the squadron numbers right.  Anyway, the pic showed that the bird wasn't pristine.  It wasn't abused or neglected either, but being parked in the sun does things to a paintjob.

Gaz

Jennings,

I can appreciate your sentiment.  We all know for models, historical accuracy takes second place to being visually interesting.  It's taken me a while to realize it, but there it is.

Have you ever used pastels ? My first thought is to fully clear coat and seal the finish now, then add a satin or flat clear coat, do a little pastel work, and then one last final clear sealer. This way, as you add the pastel 'weathering' you can build it slowly and be subtle...if you don't like it, it can be washed off easily.

I get a full color set of pastel chalks at the art store, for pretty cheap, and drag an exacto blade over them to create little piles of dust to then apply with a brush. For a sharp edge starting point, I just tape off a line or panel. I have a handful of brushes for this, and they are usually old brushes that I cut down so that the bristles are fairly stiff.

Experiment on some old stuff and get a feel for it, if you haven't used them before.

Joe

Edited by Joe66

For my meager 2 cents worth.... when I was in the RCAF Reserves we did an exchange to McChord AFB, and we got to sniff all around the F-106's on the flight line, ( I know this is a '102....) for a few hours, in the seat and all... they were immaculately clean , almost like 'show room' spotless, and they were the front line fighters of the time, if it were me I'd do like Mike says, very light high lights for the panels.....Jennings is absolutely correct...... and by the way, they were beautiful birds.....  again just my 2 cents worth.....

Jeff

Some sound advice here, and as tempting as it might be to weather it all patchy and stripey, I'd seriously consider not doing that. While I like the entire Century series, the '102, is perhaps my favorite of them all. Yours looks great to me, as is.

Can I add, weathering is a very 'modeller' thing to do, and appeals to modellers

I'm not convinced that non-modellers really 'get' weathering. They often expect a model to be well made and beautifully presented in a clean finish

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Guys,

Thank you for all of the quick responses.  They all make good sense, and maybe I'm just overanalysing the photo or seeing things that aren't really there.  Maybe I've become conditioned to the need to weather everything I build.  Here is the actual photo my Pops sent to me. 

172918.jpg

Waddya think?

Gaz

I certainly agree with others....your model looks super just as it is, but if you choose to weather, go lightly ! I still like pastel chalks, as they have many shades / colors to choose from and can be very subtle !

Bottom line though - do it your way and be happy !

Joe