WNW HB W12 '1407' Floating down the river of happiness!

karimb

Welcome back Karim!

Looking forward to following this from stem to stern...as it were.  I like the way you've added some water damage to the floats, and your woodgrain looks great.

Cheers!

Gaz

Gaz it's great to have you along!

I hope you guys like how the floats turned out. They required some more polishing and fairing in but i think they will get the gang's approval!

How cool.  I just started building the same kit (my build log is over on ARC).   I'll be following your work closely.   I really like the dings and dents you added to the floats.   I was thinking about going with the Aviattic lozenge decals as well.  I do like they way they look, just wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with cutting out each individual decal.  

Keep up the great work, I'll be looking for more updates upon your return. 

John

Thanks for stopping by!

I would love to be able to follow your build log on ARC why don't you put up a link here so we can all drop by and take a look?

I would definitely recommend the Aviattic decals. I have been using Richard's products for a long while now and to be honest i can't think of anything better on the market!

To cut the decals out i use my silhouette plotter using the wnw cookie ones as a template. I scan them then i move that to the vectoring software and vector around them then overlay on the Aviattic ones and let the plotter do the work. cleaner crisper and more precise cut lines.

What you could do if you don't have a plotter is probably take templates from the wingnut wings decals and transfer them to the Aviattic ones and cut around!

Cool project Karim, which colour linen decals are you going to use for the lower wings, I am planning one of these and have the French linen on clear decal paper. Will be watching your progress with interest.

Regards. Andy

Andy

Good to have you here.

I still haven't made up my mind on which type of decal i will be using on the bottom. It will probably be the darker more beige tinted ones. I have all of Richard's versions of doped linen, so i will have to eye it and find the one that would fit the bill the best. Since i found some photos of 1407 after a crash and propped on its nose the left side aileron has a distinctively white aileron which looks like it was overpainted. This leads me to think the linen was of the darker beige tint... i'll work something out and document it here in the build thread!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a word!

Love your work on the wood grain, Karim. I'll have to check out MRP wood colors when I get around to a wnw

Brian!

patiently awaiting your take on a wnw kit once the mosquito is done!

MRP has 3 or 4 wood colors which are super nice for woodgraining prep. Light wood, Ochre wood, a darker wood and another one if i'm not mistaken. have a look!

Thanks for stopping by!

Good morning gang!

Update straight out of Tokyo!

I got called from a 4 day standby, which i was expecting to happen since i had to take ten days of unplanned leave when Zoe was admitted to hospital earlier this month. No problem in that, as i managed to hop over to Volks and nab me a second ho229 for the stash with some aftermarket. The stash monster is really getting out of hand, but i digress...

Back to the lovely W12. I had two and a half solid days of modeling at the bench. My friends were all away operating flights so i had uninterrupted bench time to keep busy. 

Alot of work has been done, i am happy to report, and the cockpit is ready to be enclosed and the fuselage halves closed up, minus the belts which i haven't started working on yet. The floats also have been completed and painted and partially weathered.

Let's break down the progress in parts...

The cockpit took the best of a day and a half to get done. The woodgraining was left to completely solidify and then overcoat with MRP semigloss lacquer. The footwear areas on the flooring where randomly airbrushed with MRP semimatt lacquer to show some difference in finish and to simulate foot traffic specially in the gunner area in the back. I still am unsure wether i will be adding some pigments to simulate dusting as i figure humidity would turn the dust pretty much into a fine layer or mud and i don't want to cover up the woodgraining finish completely. Haven't thought it through enough but i am leaning towards leaving it as is. The Fuel tank was airbrushed with gloss black from tamiya and left to cure for a couple of hours then received a coat of polished brass by alclad. After that cured, i used the salt technique and oversprayed the tank with the RLM gray i used for the interior parts. When thoroughly dry i used an old toothbrush to dull the sheen and brush the salt off. Decal added, and weathering consists of many oils from abteilung and some products from AKI. I used mainly engine grime on the sides of the tank and the bottom, and used engine grease from the abteilung line of oils along with engine oil and smoke to dirty the assembly up. It was left to dry so as not to get any fingerprints on the gloss oils. The side cockpit framing was woodgrained in a different manner. I first coated the frames with MRP light wood then used AK track rust wash to simulate the graining. This technique is a bit different as it also tints the parts while doing the woodgraining. You put the wash on a bit on the heavy side and then wait a couple of minutes to get it to start to dry off and at that point the standard woodgraining technique of brush drag is applied. Initially the wash looks like its tinting the part which is one of the actions intended from the technique. Usually you clean the brush after every drag for regular oils, in this case i don't as the residual wash will help impart a grain to the stained area. I also opted for darker framing wood as i figured it would be a good change from the light wood paneling and interior. The side frames were airbrushed MRP semimatt lacquer clear. The details were picked out with tamiya RLM gray XF22. The fuel pressuring hand pump was painted using Mr metal color buffable lacquer brass and some modelkasten rubber thread was inserted and will be inserted in the tank (don't really know if it's correct but i do that in all my builds).

The separation bulkhead between the pilot and gunner got the glass framing detail painted with Mr metal color stainless (minus the clear part) and two strands of ezline attached to the flipdown tray. The big map was added to the tray and a little surprise will sit there along with the map further down the line (you guys guess my 1/32 addition when a build is deserving of it. did you guess? the wnw teddy bear of which i have many in the spares box!)

In last post i was telling you guys that for once the HGW woodgrain decals were cut to the correct size, but i decided again using them for the cockpit. The only place i used the decals was on the front and back of the instrument panel. The decals were exactly to size and didn't cause any undue headaches. They behaved very well although being a bit fragile with some cracks appearing here and there, but nothing that was unpatchable. The backside took a bit of work and slicing to get solvaset to completely bed down the decals over the molded on piping. Yes, solvaset needed a bit of help which is a first in my book, usually it eats through decals like a hot knife through butter. I am happy with the results. A thin surround of the instruments with MRP clear brown followed. The instruments were then detail painted with different mr metal colors and tamiya acrylics and the decals placed and bedded down. A few drops of krystal clear simulates the glass faces of the instruments. Two switches were done using lead wire which were bent to 90* with the tamiya pe flat nose pliers and their ends squished flat and cut to size. The whole cockpit got a wash of dark brown to highlight the recesses and edges, along with the IP.

The fuselage sides got further painted with white with a dash of gray to get that off white color and the metallic panels and sections were initially painted with tamiya gloss black and then alclad dull aluminium. The ammo box was painted gloss black and then i used UVDR buffing metallic pigments iron to bring out a sheen. i haven't weathered that part yet but it has been glued in position. The louver sections were then airbrushed clear pale purple and those sections were lightly coated with anodized aluminium from MRP. They look nice and you can see the variation when you move the parts around under different lighting conditions. 

The engine bearing platform was painted last update and woodgrained. I airbrushed it with AK worn effects fluid and then when dry tamiya xf22. I then proceeded to chip the topcoat. Weathering was a blast as i used many abteilung oils and AK products to achieve a really oily grimy look. I might tone it back down at a later stage with pigments when i get a sense of how it will all tie in together once the engine is in place... 

The seats, now those are something i am really happy with. They took the better part of a couple of hours to get done and the time was really enjoyable. I basecoated the seat cushions and padding with plain white and then gloss coated them with MRP gloss clear. Once dry i opted for using UVDR's leather decals but wanted to go for the lightest and grayest type as i wanted the leather crackling decals to show through, otherwise the plan was to paint on the leather color myself using oil paints. I hope the pictures will clarify what i mean. I used 7 different oils from Abteilung to get the seat to the final result. The top padding was undercoated with nato green from tamiya and then the green and highlights were painted using oils.

The floats were a really nice experimenting session and took quite a while to get where they are now. I kept polishing out the burr marks and dings and dents using micromesh pads after having smoothed everything out with tamiya extra thin a couple of days before. The polishing really managed to get everything tied in and removed the 'edge' off the dents. I am really happy with how that part worked out. The top of the floats were previously painted with ochre wood from MRP and the woodgraining painted using olive green and the RB photoetch templates. For the floats i used four different blacks from tamiya if you can call them black! I used the regular flat black, nato black which has a grayish hue, green black and rubber black. I initially preshaded the damaged areas with flat black along with the added scribed lines, then i mottled the bottom and sides with the three other shades (the top was left till later for chipping). The mottles were covered with successive very transparent vertical layers of the different blacks. I using vertical lines i was able to simulate staining and ribbing inside the floats along with water griming. The top side was covered with AK worn paint chipping fluid then received the same treatment. I simulated the chipping using toothpicks, a stiff brush and a blunt xacto blade. I tried to be restrained in the chipping as in this case less is better. The topside chipping will be all tied in at a later point when i start the topside weathering. I have left the floats in a bath of heavily salted water in an experiment (which worked last time!) of letting the water naturally evaporate leaving the salt staining behind. Now if this doesn't work out i have a second option of using a salt paste as it will dry much faster. Worst case scenario i have an option three in mind so let's see how things work out on my return. I am expecting the water level to have slightly dropped as the temperature in and around the house is nothing close to summer when the last experiment (parts were left on the balcony last time in 50*C temperatures. you can guess the water evaporated quite quickly, leaving beautiful salt staining and streaks). As a side anecdote i can confirm the floats do their job correctly, and float...

I should be flying back to doha in a couple of hours and have three days off when back, which means i will have some more solid time at the bench and plan on having the cockpit finished and close up the fuselage. After that we will start working on the bz engine and see where this thing will take us...

Been really smooth sailing up to now, and super enjoyable as expected!

The post will be picture heavy and i don't want to link all the photos from the blog in order not to clog up viewers with slow connections. I will split the photo posts per area of the build. 

I hope you guys enjoy this update, as ever your comments and opinions are always appreciated as i consider every build to be a collaborative effort!

Till our next update stay safe and happy modeling !

Karim

Geez-Louise!  Those details are just awesome to see!  That IP...  The back of the IP!!  And the floats, too.

Wow.

Gaz

Gaz!

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind comments..

i forgot to mention the front ip got a brown glazing of oils on top of the decal!

What do you think about the floats? are the dings and dents overdone?