Trumpeter Yak-18 "Max"

LSP_Ray

Hello Dave, thanks for the reminder.

I am trying, having a hard time getting to it lately. Going through an IRS audit right now, plus trying to get ready to go on acation for a week +. And I am at one of my all time dreaded tasks: masking the canopies. About 1/2 done with that. I have made a little progress, a little behind in the photo taking. I will try to post some pics before I leave.

OK, here are a few more progress pics. First though, I wanted to share a pic of Artamas, who left us a couple of weeks ago. Artamas is the large orange tabby. He is seen here with PJ, who Artamas sort of adopted after we got her. She is actually about half his size.

post-39-1205812074.jpg

OK, now to the model. First, here it is after a coat of primer and with metal surfaces given a coat of Alclad II dull aluminum. You can just make out the tonal variation. I kind of wish I used a more glossy color now, but I think it will be ok in the end.

post-39-1205812092.jpg

Here is a close up of the engine cowling. Fit is not that great, nor was the joint filling but it came out pretty good.

post-39-1205812103.jpg

Here is the nearly finished prop and spinner. This will give you an idea of what I am going for, a pretty worn machine used on rough frontline airfields.

post-39-1205812115.jpg

This will be it until I am back from vacation. Hopefully I will get more done before the end of March!!

Exactly, Lee.

Unfortunately, two operations and several treatments later, Artamas ended up having to be put to sleep. His body simply would not stop producing scar tissue in his chest cavity, effectively slowly suffocating himself. It was very sad, as he was a special - and large (20 lbs!) cat - with a special personality. It devastated my daughter especially as he was her favorite.

My cat died too when I was 10 years old. I know the feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it is the last day of the month, I thought I would show how far I got.

I now have color on the model. The underside is first painted in the typical Russian light blue. I used WEM paint with some masked areas to create chipped areas.

post-39-1207018074.jpg

post-39-1207018091.jpg

The topside is Tamiya J.A. Green (because that was the only Tamiya dark green I had handy!!) I tried to show a more faded appearance to the fabric areas. It is 'unchipped' at this point.

post-39-1207018063.jpg

...And here is the model after chipping of the green. This is easy to do with the Tamiya acrylics, as they are pretty fragile. They also dry fast so I was able to start chipping as soon as I finish cleaning my airbrush.

post-39-1207018416.jpg

post-39-1207018430.jpg

post-39-1207018441.jpg

I dry fiitted the prop for the pics to show how it fits in with the chipping.

Next up, the sky blue will be over-painted with flat black and Nato black, then chipped in the metallic areas as the green is topside. The fabric areas will pretty much keep the faded look they have now, except for maybe some subtle weathering. Then after decals and some washes, we will hopefully have a pretty worn looking harassment bomber!!

BTW, I have ref's that say the N. Koreans had insignia all 6 positions, others say sides of the fuselage only. I am swaying towards sides of the fuselage only as a slow night bomber wouldn't want the easy-to-see insignia on its underside, but would love to hear some comments on that.

• 6 months later...

Believe it or not, I actually finished this one finally last week!!!

I went ahead and moved it here as it fits - totally out of the box per IPMS rules. The only additions were seatbelts made of tape, and aerials added, as it shows on the boxtop.

Pics to come soon.

Thanks guys!!!

Erwin, you are right!! It is a pretty darn easy kit to build, and the cockpit is really well done out of the box. The worst part was the cowling. The cowling doesn't match up to the rest of the fuselage very well, and the cowling front is a separate piece, so you have a joint going all the way around that weird shape to deal with. I almost just left it.

After finishing this one, I went out and got the CJ-5 Nanchang - the Chinese updated trainer!!! It has a more typical radial engine front and is completely metal skinned, but it appears the cockpit is almost exactly the same. Actually I didn't buy it, one of my raffle tickets was drawn at the local model show, and that was one of the few 1/32nd kits that was available, so free is a very good price!!! A second winning raffle ticket scored me an Akatombo trainer - the same kit Erwin built - so I had a good day!!