Spitfire MkXVI, SL721

Dpgsbody55

My next build will be the Tamiya Spitfire MkXVIe, which I plane to paint in the markings of SL721 which was the personal hack of Air Marshall Sir James Robb.

EX55Zm.jpg

I have also purchased some Eduard photo etch to help me improve this, but as I've thought about it, I have 2 other Tamiya Spitfires in my stash and if I built them all from kit supplied markings, they would all look the same on the shelf.  I had made a tiny start on this plane before I started my Typhoon, but at the time, it really didn't float my boat, so back in the stash it went.  I previously decided that this would be my first attempt at one of these Tamiya kits, based purely on the thought that if I mucked it up, at least it would be a learning curve for the other 2, as I much prefer my Spitfires not to have bubble canopies.

However, the announcement of this group build gave me some better impetus to get started, and also to think outside the box (yes, I did say that :) :doh: ) and do some research into MkXVI's.  Digging through my books on the Spitfire I came across this plane, which still exists.  The picture I've shown is as it was in 1999 following restoration by Chris Woods in Canada, being repainted in it's original paint scheme.  And this is how I shall be doing it and since I'm presenting it here, I hope I don't make a mess of it. :whistle:

The MkIX and MkVIII will be built later, but I've ordered some new markings for the MkIX and may well do so again for the MKVIII so that they all look different once built.  I've also ordered the correct marking for this kit in my desired paint scheme, together with a couple more small bits to further enhance it.  I've been at it with the rattle can silver today, them masking up for the interior green.  I've also drilled out the lightening holes in the fuselage frames. 

More later.

Cheers,

Michael

Guest Peterpools

Michael

Nice choice of subject and markings.

Just love those Tamiya Spits - having built two so far. Of course, Carl has me beat by a mile.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

16-SL721-11%20October%20%201998%20Califo

I dibble-dabble-double-dog dare you to build your 'plane with the panel fits as poor as the real one!

:D

They meet edge to edge, otherwise there's some very dodgy stuff going on from the engine cowl to the cockpit

Bottom edge of the fuselage below the markings is a bit weird too. They're never going to win IPMS competitions like that

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Great subject I was wondering if someone was going to do this one. I think I have the decals for this which I won't be using so let me know if you'd like them.

Carl

Thank you for the offer of the decals, Carl, but I already have them on their way to me now.  Perhaps I should have posted this sooner!! :doh: :lol: 

@ Peterpools, I haven't built any of these Tamiya kits yet, despite having them in my stash since release.  Don't ask why, as I have no idea myself.  Although I've yet to glue anything together, the components in the box look tremendous and if the reports I've read on this forum are correct, this plane should go together on it's own.

@ RLWP, Richard, I definitely won't be trying to replicate the poor panel fit, which I shall put down to the standard of the 1999 restoration, for the purposes of this build. :)   Also, I suspect that part of the issue is the removable cover over the fuel tank, and also the way that gloss blue picks up the light in that picture.  But it has to be said that the later Spitfires were not as well built as early war Spits, because of the need to build as many as possible as the RAF expanded in those years.  For example, early war Spits had "Supermarine" engraved on the rudder pedals, and the entire airframe was painted inside, whereas by 1943, only the cockpit was painted.  However, I've read that the cowlings can be a pig to fit accurately, and stay on, so there's hope for an ill fitting plane yet. :rolleyes: :D

The only other thing to decide is the choice of wing tip.  I was originally going to build this as a clipped wing MkXVI as I want my Tamiya Spitfires to look different from each other, but all the pictures I've found indicate that this particular plane should have rounded tips.  Thankfully, the kit has both, so I'll make a decision later.

Cheers,

Michael

I too would say that it's the paint and lighting that is emphasising what's going on there. Still, interesting how a full size aeroplane looks worse than what we expect from a model

It is a bit of a warning to you though - that paint is going to be just as unforgiving on your model

Richard

Good choice of subject. Just a bit of historical interest: whilst this was Sir James Robb's personal a/c, it was "on the books" of 31 Sqn, which was then the comms Sqn based at Hendon.

MikeC, I'll bet that plane was the better looked after than any other plane in that squadron :lol:.  Thanks for the info.

Richard, Looking at all the pics of the plane, I'll be painting it in RAF Azure blue.  Very Carefully!!!  If I can find it in a gloss colour, I'll be airbrushing it as I can get a good even finish with gloss paints.  I seem to recall Humbroll did a gloss RAF Azure, otherwise, I'll add some gloss varnish to the Model Master matt azure that I presently have and try a spray out first.  I often wish all airbrush paints were gloss as they spray better than matt paints, and you just spray a matt or satin spray over the top.  Decals are better applied to gloss paints too.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, you're welcome.  Before you commit to Azure Blue, I've seen it written in at least one apparently reliable source that it was PRU Blue - albeit very clean!   I'll see if I can remember where. 

I dibble-dabble-double-dog dare you to build your 'plane with the panel fits as poor as the real one!

:D

They meet edge to edge, otherwise there's some very dodgy stuff going on from the engine cowl to the cockpit

Bottom edge of the fuselage below the markings is a bit weird too. They're never going to win IPMS competitions like that

Richard

beautiful choice of subject - i feel mildly qualified to talk about the panel fit you see at play here having just tried to recreate it...

the big cover panel in front of the windscreen over the oil tank is in fact thicker ali and sits slightly proud of all the panels around it, it is about the worst fitting panel on the airframe. All the others mostly overlap from front to back so you often see ridges as one panel is actually on top of the one behind it, or on top of the one below it - there are very few (if any) that butt fit against each other on the fuselage so it can look quite agricultural and with a gloss finish & the angles the light is catching it highlights them in that photo

if you look closely thats what I tried to replicate..

WIP1647_zpsyoqtoodf.jpg

WIP1632_zpsxqct6ojc.jpg

sorry thread drift over - just though I would point it out :)

looking forward to watching this one :)

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

Recreated with great success too, Peter

It's always amazing what you learn building models

I do wonder if the picture being an aeroplane in flight makes a difference too. There will be all sorts of pressure differences on those panels

Richard

That was one amazing build, Peter.  I take my hat off to you on that one.  It's way beyond my level of talent.  Regarding that panel standing proud, I have noticed it on other pictures too, but it's not serious enough to affect the plane adversely.  I have seen pictures of other Spifires that fly badly, due to badly fitting panels, and it was one of the hazards of wartime production testing, as it could cause a plane to crash or be very difficult to control.  There's mention of it in Alex Henshaws book on the Spitfire.

MikeC, if you do find that information, please let me know.  Everything I've read suggests it should be painted Azure, and it may be that it was repainted during it's service life.  Lifelike Decals show two variations on this plane, but I've presently decided to go with the Azure look.  It will be a while until I have to make a decision, though.

LL%2032-010%20Spitfire%20Pt.%201%20MK.XV

ll32013p.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55