LSP Kit Database needs your help!

LSP_Kevin

As far as I know, the answer is no. I think he was working on it the same time as the Avia S199 conversion. 

Thanks, Ray. I certainly can't find any evidence of it having been released, with our Kit Database entry being just about the only thing that comes up in Google. I think I'll remove it.

Kev

Apparently the included decals are from Best Choice, which is where that name comes from on the box. Definitely an MPM kit.

Kev

Kev,

A view of the internals for you....

IMG_2258_zps4nuqptjs.jpg

Plenty of resign and the instructions clearly show which original kit parts will not be needed, items in gray and the parts that need to be removed in red.

IMG_2259_zpspsy1ibaa.jpg

The instructions are quite good too.

IMG_2260-1_zpsscarxca7.jpg

2 sets of PE, clearly stamped Best Choice, clearly stamped in 2007.

IMG_2261_zpsbxq555bf.jpg

A small but helpful 4 page walk around in color.

IMG_2263_zps4ytnbgy0.jpg

IMG_2264_zpswopkxurr.jpg

Two pages of marking diagrams.

IMG_2265_zpsaivti01h.jpg

And two pages of full 1/32 drawings, which I like.

IMG_2266_zpsdbmr6mgd.jpg

IMG_2267_zpsw09zij8w.jpg

The resin details for the interior and the engine are quite robust. You can definitely have some fun with the engine and the pit.

The kit has a certificate limiting it to "999" kits. The injection appears to be the wrong color for the Revell kit, but what do I know? I do know with some careful attention this should build up nicely. The engine and cockpit alone are kits in themselves.

Cheers,

Rocky

Edited by theseeker

OK, time for another kit question! Did the UMI Boomerang kit ever get released?

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=166

Kev

As I recall David was a bit stymied by the overall length of the Boomerang airplane. There was some question if the overall length that was published included the propeller boss or not. No one could come up with the definitive answer

In any event David decided to produce the 1/32 Japanese Kawanishi N1K1 REX WW2 float plane fighter as a complete kit, floats and all. To this end I sent him my Revell 1/32 kit of the landplane version. Then He and Umi went to a; picnic and he had a heart attack. He died on the way to the hospital in the ambulance despite the efforts of the ambulance crew to keep im alive.  

Umi called me and asked for help in selling all this stuff to modelers who would appreciate it. I put her in touch with an auction house in Danbury, CT who specialized in models and trains, etc. But then David's estranged legal wife (they were long separated) stepped in and with the aid of some of his friends in the local modelling group they disposed of everything. I lost touch with everyone in that area and that ended that. David was one of the closest friends I ever had. I still miss him and our thrice weekly llengthly phone calls. 

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

@Best Choice/MPM

The 162 IS the Revell kit. The same as inside Revells own boxing. The resin parts are the CMK sets available for the 162. PE looks like made by/outsorced to Eduard. Not surprising given that some of the Czech brands are connected to each other and/or doing cooperation projects.

The decals are said to have some flaws, wrong colours, shapes or something like this. See online reviews elsewhere. So it might be a good idea to check references if the provided decals and painting instructions fit the particular build.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, here's one for you kit history buffs. In our database, we have a range of vintage Revell kits released in Japan. Some are listed as being from Revell-Takara, while others are listed as being from Revell-Japan. I suspect the former is the correct designation for all of them, but just wanted to make sure. Was the Takara arrangement somehow special or temporary, and did not in fact apply to all vintage Revell kits released in Japan?

Kev

Difficult to say for sure without having one of the books dedicated to the history of Revell kits. I only know that Takara is still a toy company related in some way to Tomy. So, without certainty, Takara probably acted as the local distributor as Tamiya is still doing with Italeri kits. Hopefully, somebody has the final word on this.

Takara probably acted as the local distributor as Tamiya is still doing with Italeri kits.

Not entirely since Takara developed and produced several kits sold under the Revell/Takara label. LSPs include the "Lost Three" J2M3, Ki-61 and N1K1-J, but they also produced a slew of 1/72 Japanese subjects as well, such as the Ki-45 and P1Y1. Some of these kits were produced in Japan (presumably by Takara), but were labeled Revell only.

If anything, it was a partnership between Revell and Takara for producing and distributing Revell kits intended for the Japanese market, but distributed worldwide. Some releases included Takara on the label, but others did not.

HTH,

D

Edited by D Bellis

In fact we agree! I did not mean that Takara was ONLY a distributor! They also produced their own kits. Among the small scale ones you mentioned, I am remembering having seen some Japanese bombers many years ago with the Takara label. And I think they still produce assembled models. I guess that Tomy is a related company.

That is what I would do as whatever may have been the creator of the mold (Revell-Japan or Takara for Revell), this does not change the fact that the kits were seemingly distributed by Takara in Japan and only arrived later in the rest of the World with the simpler "Revell" brand. Unless somebody demonstrates the contrary, this looks like the most logical approach.

That is what I would do as whatever may have been the creator of the mold (Revell-Japan or Takara for Revell), this does not change the fact that the kits were seemingly distributed by Takara in Japan and only arrived later in the rest of the World with the simpler "Revell" brand. Unless somebody demonstrates the contrary, this looks like the most logical approach.

Thanks, Thierry. I think so too.

Kev

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

I just saw we have a double DB entry for the kit HC1682 from Hobbycraft. It would be nice to remove the one with the "17" and keep the "Nieuport 17" one.

Hth

Thierry

Done

Thanks!

By the way I realized it seems we do not have in the database the kit initial release! This was the Hobbycraft 1682 reference.

Moreover, I have been stupid enough to throw away most of the Italeri box last week (I just kept the rear side with the color schemes) whereas it is also missing in the database (kit 2508).. :-(

T.