Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Today i've bin busy with the bottom center wing section.This is a little kit on it's own. :speak_cool:

First thing to do, again, remove these ugly sink marks.

DSCN3075_zpsqqewnrdb.jpg

The oil cooler sections are glued together, a nasty seam line was threaten with putty.

DSCN3076_zps87sofyom.jpg

Both oil cooler segments are glued onto the bottom center wing section, the wing spar is seen here dry-fitted.

DSCN3080_zpsvdanxvt7.jpg

DSCN3081_zpsjl4p7hyn.jpg

Wingspar glued onto the bottom wing center section.

DSCN3083_zpsqawrla4n.jpg

Wheelbay closed

DSCN3082_zpsw3yafuhb.jpg

DSCN3084_zpsoxc4utio.jpg

DSCN3085_zpsxxvezftn.jpg

And the bottom view, with some photo etch added to the wheelbay side-walls.

DSCN3086_zpsnsar3x4f.jpg

DSCN3087_zpsxv35dwsm.jpg

Greetz

Danny

The beast received finally some paint :frantic:

After giving all part's a black primer coat with Mr. Surfacer 1500, i started with the Salmon Pink Primer from Mr. Paint. First time i used Mr. Paint, so expectations where very high.

DSCN3090_zps8yjqo9ig.jpg

For this, i used my old trusty 40€ Chinese airbrush with a 0.3 m/m needle.

DSCN3091_zpsbm9ifmo2.jpg

Wing section.

DSCN3093_zpsruo7uzac.jpg

I only painted the spots which i thought to be visible.

Wheelbay's sections. 

DSCN3095_zpshw5so183.jpg

Very smooth Finnish

DSCN3096_zpsryhgxxpy.jpg

DSCN3097_zpswnvgloiw.jpg

DSCN3099_zpskc3w0cx5.jpg

DSCN3100_zpsxdoeu6nq.jpg

Tail wheel section inner part, and a group photo of all happy painted part's. :)

DSCN3101_zpsotjzzgmn.jpg

DSCN3109_zps1g7kxthh.jpg

Next step, the cockpit. To get the color i needed i mixed three different colors.

X-5 : 2

XF-8 : 1

XF-3 : 0.5

DSCN3108_zpszfsd3u7c.jpg

DSCN3110_zpssmv0mbrv.jpg

The pilot seat and the ruder pedals footrest's where first painted with Alclad II aluminium and afterwards treated with AK Heavy Chiping fluid. 

DSCN3111_zpsis4wf7va.jpg

You all now the how to work with this i aspect, so here is the result.

DSCN3113_zpssao3mfd5.jpg

DSCN3116_zpsiwiantgs.jpg

DSCN3117_zpspr9imlmc.jpg

DSCN3118_zpsqfrv3zf4.jpg

DSCN3119_zpse8u0ykok.jpg

DSCN3120_zpswhvvfiwq.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Edited by DannyVM

Great work Danny ! I'm trying a bit different approach. Painting all before assembly. I hope to have some pics up in a couple days. Thanks for the update buddy..........Harv :popcorn:

Sweet......

Looking forward to see more..shure looks damn good here.

So keep em coming. 

Thank's Mal for the nice comment :speak_cool:

Great work Danny ! I'm trying a bit different approach. Painting all before assembly. I hope to have some pics up in a couple days. Thanks for the update buddy..........Harv  :popcorn:

Thank's Harv,  :speak_cool:  that's the beauty about this hobby, we all have different styles, with that, we learn from each other. I'm curious to see your progress pic's my friend :)

Danny

Nice paint work and the mixed colors look spot on

Keep 'em coming

Peter  :popcorn:

Thank's Peter :speak_cool:

overall, i'm satisfied about the out come of the cockpit color, but i wished it was a little bit more lighter of color tone. The flash makes it ok, but in real time, the color is rather dark. I'm not gonna redo all, but i will give it a light color wash, and see what happens then.

Greetz

Danny

Excellent work, Danny! Mr. Paint's Salmon primer looks really good. I must try to get hold of some for my own Corsair build.

Kev

Thank's Kev for the nice comment mate :speak_cool:

These paint's are just fabulous my friend, if you can get your hands on them, sure do, there worth it every penny.

But, a few moments ago, disaster struck. I wanted to airbrush some part's but my compressor began to fail me. You must know, this beast served me for about almost 25 years. It was a home made compressor, very effective but a few years ago it began to show it's age. The over pressure valve rusted out of the air tank, which concluded in a overhaul of some components. Also the air tank was showed heavy rusting inside, so i send it to clean it, which resulted in a thinner inner surface. Also the over pressure security valve needed to be replaced by a secured plug. A few moments ago i heard a Sissing sound that came out of the air tank, when i searched for the leak i discovered that a crack appeared into the welding seam of the plug inside the tank. This is an unsafe situation, so i decided to put my old trusty compressor into a well deserved pension.

I already called the local hobby store, so i can get my new compressor this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Greetz

Danny

Today i had the opportunity to do a lot of work on the cockpit, so time to give you guy's some photo's.

Yesterday i've been busy with the Barracuda stencil data for the cockpit, and i must say, this is a real step forward once they are placed. Today i painted the details of the two side consoles, i glued the dials on the IP and i gave the whole cockpit a wheatered look. Also i've been busy for 3 houres on the HGW seatbelt's and put them in place. let's start with them.

HGW seatbelt's are just awesome :thumbsup:  it's lot's of work, but the result, once they are placed is just superb.

DSCN3142_zpswynjsz00.jpg

DSCN3144_zpsp7ojfmmk.jpg

DSCN3145_zpsiljcsqsc.jpg

After this was done, i proceeded with the cockpit. 

F4U-1 Corsair Bu.No 02576 "Marines Dream" was a very heavily wheatered aircraft. So i wanted to get this effect also in the cockpit. For this one i didn't wanted to use a dark wash, because of the darker cockpit color. Instead i wanted a cockpit which was affected by the coral dust because of the operations from the Salomon Islands landing strips.

For this i used a MIG Sin industries sand color filter.

This is the result, i hope you guy's like it.

DSCN3128_zpsl8urb8gr.jpg

DSCN3129_zpsbfcdve9k.jpg

DSCN3131_zpsflaonpwy.jpg

DSCN3136_zps1sr590pc.jpg

DSCN3139_zpsdtljofx7.jpg

Also the pilot seat and the pilot seat frame got this treatment.

DSCN3149_zpsv8n3y3w2.jpg

DSCN3150_zpsuovk7pjk.jpg

The flash of the camera accentuates the dust, but in real time this is much more subtle.