1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

evening ladies :)

Thanks for the info on the punch and dies Peter, and while I'm at it, does your litho plate have the blue coloured side to it? If so, how do you get it off? It's useful for scribing working lines into but once everything's cut I've been using paint stripper or lacquer thinners to get most of it off, but it still leaves a pale green residue. Do you have this problem too?

Craig

Hi Craig - the litho is blue on one side, but that side only takes glue so I never strip it off, I think I have sanded the odd bit off here and there when needed if the part is visible on both sides so the stripping advice above is most useful :)

..I have been working on the removable panels at the wing roots as can be seen here on the Thai XIV - they are pretty untidy and agricultural and do not seem to be butt-fit everywhere, that is to say they seem to sit over some other panels..

..the long strip like panels here..

WIP1010_zpsozeb5orm.jpg

..again I used a combo of tape templates of borders and areas on the model, overlaid on scaled plans adapted for and XIV from the montforton book...

WIP1011_zpswyqntjnu.jpg

..after scoring all the outlines, adding the fasteners and drilling out holes for cut-outs in the panels, pipes or hatches the sheet looks like this - the detail is all a bit 'blown' looking until the panel is flattened by burnishing with a big brass rod on the reverse side..

WIP1012_zpsbwcpkiei.jpg

..you can see the difference afterwards and how it flattens out all the screw heads..

WIP1013_zpschgm9xkq.jpg

..after bending the scored lines to snap off the waste, the final set of panels are finished..

WIP1014_zpsqhgiabnp.jpg

..here the glue has been masked and brushed on to start with this panel as it has a cut-out for the ring of bolts and orientates all the other panels..

WIP1015_zpsnbend162.jpg

..and the panel in place, followed by the one behind it..

WIP1016_zpsf4hs6lhp.jpg

..and then all panels are set out and cleaned up..  the holes in the forward panels are for pipes that I can see on pics I have of TZ138..

WIP1017_zpshutozahp.jpg

WIP1019_zpsoooamf2k.jpg

..and in close-up - I am not too sure they are right as they don't look clunky enough to me, but they are on now and I am not doing them again..

WIP1018_zpsvr807gcx.jpg

..next onto the lower cowl and then a big complex fairing that carries the intake and fairs it into the fuselage..

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

You make it look so easy and that has to be the highest compliment.

Amazing and spellbound as always.

keep 'em coming

Peter

evening folks :)

thank you so much for all the kind words - it spurs me on and has really helped me get back in the saddle :)

Damn, that's nice work.  Bravo, Peter!  What did you use to make the screw slot?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark - well spotted! they do actually have slots - I make them by grinding a scalpel blade into a tiny tool to add them..

Peter:  I keep looking at this masterpiece and am totally blown away by your replication of the panels..I hope that I'll be able to see the finished product.

Barney

Barney - thank you, and thanks so much for the pictures of TZ138 - makes all thye difference to be able to check facts on the real airframe!

Another impressive update. I wonder if this little jewel will be completed for Telford next year?  If it is I may even be tempted to save my pennies and attend just so I can see it in person !

J

Thanks Jerry - I hope to have it complete for Telford and to actually enter it in my first comp :) It would be fantastic to see you there, and I am sure the entire Brit contingent would be thrilled too - fingers crossed you make it

,,so a bit more done now I am back in the groove - starting with the lower cowling, a real nasty one to make as it curves in many directions, and sits between two cowl panels so tolerences and fit are critical..

I made a tape template and the holes for the dzus fasteners..

WIP1020_zpsxpdgi6dd.jpg

..FAIL.. as I burnished it, it wrinkled at the edges and all the holes were out of alignment so this ended up in the bin..

Take 2 - this time I just made the panel, thinking I can add to it once the shape is formed..

I also started pre-forming it by rubbing the shape onto my thigh with the handle of my rivetting tool..

WIP1022_zpsfx1x8osn.jpg

..I started to tape down the panel - working the shape from the flattest part at the back and chasing the curves to iron out all the wrinkles with hard wood blocks,,,

WIP1023_zpsqtvodrc5.jpg

..ended up with the panel formed and just a bit of trimming needed to sit nicely against adjacent panels..

WIP1024_zpsqmstzhwf.jpg

..and after trimming the final panel - I decided not to try and make holes in it as it would be hard to clean the inside into a nice flat finish without distorting the shape - I will add the fasteners later...

WIP1025_zpsevgealpn.jpg

..because it would be nearly impossible to just drop the panel into position with the glue on both surfaces (there is zero adjustment), I taped one edge so I could hinge it into place..

WIP1026_zpslftaitdy.jpg

..and stuck down, it looks ok and actually doesn't need too much cleaning up...

WIP1027_zpshnpukgpv.jpg

..there are some small wrinkles to take care of though..

WIP1028_zps7d7wubnp.jpg

..after sanding it is a good basis to add the fasteners and rivet detail..

WIP1029_zpspclmubww.jpg

WIP1030_zpsjfiesu5d.jpg

..more next time..

TTFN

Peter