1/24 Hurricane I, 32 Sqdn Biggin Hill/Hawkinge

Don't go skimping now that the light is at the end of the tunnel, add those braces! :)

All right Doug, I give in!

Else yer pant's'll fall down!!! :whistle:

Apparently in America braces are known as suspenders. Different meaning over here though! :wub:

Anyway, bowing to pressure I managed to find some micro bits of pe to add the braces to the rudder trim tab balance weight brackets (what a bloody mouthful!)

P1262800.jpg

P1262799.jpg

Always annoys me how brush painted colours sometimes come out darker than when sprayed. Nothing a good dark wash won't hide.

Couple more bits done. I'm in that stage where I'm flying all over doing different things.

Put in the big coolant pipe in the bay. I remember it was a pig on my last build of the Trumpy Hurricane. This time it snapped into place without needing any glue.

I wanted an aged copper look so I painted it brown and dry brushed a bit of copper:

P1262819.jpg

Started to weather the prop. The blades won't be getting the usual silver drybrush on the edges as they are wood and brass but we'll get them looking a bit knackered later.

The boss has had a silver drybrush using a stippling technique to show a bit of wear on the pointy bit. It will be toned down as its a bit bright at the moment:

P1262794.jpg

Back soon with talk of exhausts.

Phil

Exhausts. Can be a bit of a minefield.

Here's some cropped pics of the 4 flying Hurricanes that were at the Battle of Britain show at Duxford in the summer:

P9051658_01.jpgP9051656_02.jpg

P9051654_01.jpgP9051659_01.jpg

I've also got a picture of another restoration and the second 2 stacks are pure white, dunno if its modern petrol but either way there's plenty of variation.

I decided to go for the hot burnt iron look.

This is still WIP so it may change by the end.

I painted them with good old Humbrol matt rust.

Then I drybrushed(actually moist brushed!) matt black working it on the zorsts.

I did it this way round to get the rust into the crevices if done the other way it wouldn't have got in there:

P1252780.jpg

P1252779.jpg

P1252784.jpg

Bear in mind its artificial light but its starting to look ok.

Today I had a go at drybrushing varios light colours and taking them off again as it didn't look good but in doing so took off a bit of the black.

Drybrushed a little silver. They will need a bit of a matt coat lastly but its getting there:

P1262802.jpg

Managed to get some outdoor shots:

P1262816.jpg

P1262811.jpg

The jury's still out so I may do some more on them so we'll see.

Phil

I like em Phil! That copper tube though... awesome. What a cool idea, it looks exactly like a copper pipe. Outstanding.

Thanks Matt, I just thought I'd try and paint it to match what oxidised copper pipe looks like!

Much better now with your braces (or is it suspenders) properly attached :)

Thanks Doug!

Been doing the gear doors.

I added the brake pipe from 0.2mm wire which looked about right for my ref photos and added a union from brass tube and a bracket from card:

P1272820.jpg

The main flexible pipe going from the union to the hub will be added from black painted 0.5mm lead wire once the gear is added.

Painted with Alclad aluminium and given a dark matt wash to bring out some detail and to give some grip for weathering pigments later:

P1272823.jpg

Phil

Thanks Kev, Brian and Richard for your support!

Time to see if my brown paper experiment for the doped gun covers worked.

I have seen some old black and white footage of an eight gun fighter firing the guns.

It was a close up of the muzzles and I remember seeing the taped patches really ripped and flapping open with each blast.

I pulled away pieces of the paper using tweezers hoping to get a torn canvas effect with threads showing.

The fact that the paper is brown presumably like the actual canvas helped:

P1282826.jpg

P1282827.jpg

I think it has come out quite well.

You will notice I've left a jammed gun to keep a couple of members happy!!!

I'm hoping they will look even better with some soot around them.

Phil

Edited by PhilB

Thanks Brian, Loic and Don for the kind words.

I've been getting the weathering done.

For the undersides I used brown water colour thickened with black chalk and streaked it on. I let it dry and removed the excess with a damp cotton bud until I got about the level I wanted.

I also used pro modeller dark wash streaked onto the control surfaces and removed with a cotton bud to give a subtle streaked look.

We know that Hurricanes were dirty buggers underneath ranging from the nearly new to completely plastered so I went for the slightly dirty look.

P1312833.jpg

I tried to be fairly subtle with the gun stains.

The lower cowl under the engine normally is pretty clean

P1312831.jpg

Here's my torn patches with some soot:

P1312837.jpg

We know the rotol props were wood with a brass leading edge so I didn't drybrush with silver.

I used some oil stain streaks from the Tamiya weathering palettes to try and distress it a bit:

P1312840.jpg

I darkened the edges of the panels around the cowling and added some exhaust staining:

P1312841.jpg

P1312844.jpg

I've yet to paint on the anti slip patches and seal this lot in with a clear coat then hopefully I can get on with putting on the gear.

Phil