Rigging method

For dougn and all those rigging golden age ac.

Have tried the standard rigging methods, sprue, fishing line, etc. with mixed results. I wanted to be able to install rigging at the end of the build to get a cleaner result. In the 30's the ac were rigged with what was called "streamline stainless wire"; essentially flattened stainless cable. To reproduce this in our scale I decided to flatten commonly available .015" round rigid music wire.

To do this 8" lengths of wire are cut and vise grips are attached to each end and simply drawn across a drum sander attachment on a hi speed drill. 3 or 4 passes on each "side" is enough as

These drums are quite aggressive. The wires are smoothed out with 400 sandpaper.

The finished wires are then cut to the lengths required. The fit method is just trial and error. Cut, bend, dry fit and then do it again. I always flatten twice the number of wires needed.

During this fitting process i make a location diagram for all the wires and set it aside till final install. Inevitably, there will adjustments necessary during final assembly. Gluing is done

With thin ca applied with wire. Not an easy method but it does allow for mistakes.

State of the art drum sander

6c48f56d.jpg

Wiring diagram

3604e453.jpg

Results

30ec75ed.jpg