1/18th Fw-190 from HobbyBoss

Radders

Guest Vulcan32

Mine arrived yesterday, got it at eBay for Euro 70,-.

It´s very basic and some parts are just wrong, but for this price  it´s a good starting point.

I will take it to HpH in December and we will have a look what we can do, maybe there´s an upgrade set in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You either take this as it comes with its level of detail, or you spend a few years scratch building miles of detail into it.

It reminds me of some of the 1:16 tank kits floating around now that are kitted versions of R/C tanks completely lacking in detail.

I actually quite like the philosophy.

An 1/18th FW-190 packed with detail would be at least as expensive as an Hph kit and might cost more.

The only people who are probably interested are newbies/kids and veterans who want to go all out and the detailed kit would not be detailed enough for them anyway.

What mainstream modeller wants a huge FW-190?

So cater for kids and newbies and leave the vets to detail the blankish canvas to their hearts content.

If the do a 262 ill grab one the old resin one that i think was 1/18 was massive hard work and a injected blank canvass with good shapes would be a great start point for a one off center of collection piece.

I actually quite like the philosophy.

An 1/18th FW-190 packed with detail would be at least as expensive as an Hph kit and might cost more.

The only people who are probably interested are newbies/kids and veterans who want to go all out and the detailed kit would not be detailed enough for them anyway.

What mainstream modeller wants a huge FW-190?

So cater for kids and newbies and leave the vets to detail the blankish canvas to their hearts content.

If the do a 262 ill grab one the old resin one that i think was 1/18 was massive hard work and a injected blank canvass with good shapes would be a great start point for a one off center of collection piece.

Actually, several 262's were made by 21st Century Toys and Admiral about a decade ago. They are basically the built versions of the FW190 and Harriers we are seeing as kits now. If you break them back down into their parts you are free to build them back up and hyper-detail them as you wish; several people (like JayW with his P-47D) do that now. There is even a two-seater nightfighter available, although it is selling around $250 new in box these days. I bought mine when they were on sale for $40 all those years ago.

• 4 weeks later...