How to make propellers out of paper...

This is a perfect example of my reason to explore these forums. Beautiful work. Genius.

genius

ˈdÊ’iËnɪəs/
noun

1. 1
    exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
    "he was a prop builder of genius"
    synonyms: brilliance, great intelligence, great intellect, great ability, cleverness, brains, eruditionwisdomsagacity, fine mind, witartistryflair, creative power, precocity, precociousness More

2. 2
    an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity.
    "a make it look real with what I have at hand genius"
    synonyms: brilliant person, mental giant, mastermind, Einstein, intellectualintellectbrainhighbrowexpertmasterartistpolymathMore

•  

adjective
informal

1. 1
    very clever or ingenious.
    "a genius idea"

Very nice. Looks like You have done a balsa-stick model, or two.

With the Guillows kits, the basic skill for scale props is "Laminate Your Own"!

Nicely enough, they provided plenty of scrap sheet balsa and nice scaled-to-full-size drawings.

:innocent:

Tom

Edited by Gigant

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this too.  VERY COOL!  I definitely have to try it out.

Question:  Do other adhesives work as well as CA or is CA the only way to go?  Just curious.  Any addl hints or tips on how to sand or shape the prop?  Sandpaper, files, etc?

Thanks for sharing, 

Chris

• 1 month later...

Using paper in place of wood is clever as it allows for the scale thickness you need, and yet when impregnated with CA glue, the paper behaves mostly like wood anyway. 

Assuming one has the tools needed, I think this is officially the No. 1 best way to go about making a propeller that I have seen.

I am just learning the method using artist-grade coloring pencils which is very effective as well, but I am struggling getting super straight lines to my laminations with a free-hand approach.

To the OP: thanks very much for posting this.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

What an excellent idea to use paper to turn it back into "wood " effect.

I read your thread with great interest twice as it's really a brilliant idea.

Now a question:

You say craft paper was used but as you know there are a huge variety of craft paper in thickness texture and glossy or very dull Matt kind (artist in the family who used way too many kinds of paper for her painting etc )..

SO for your Propeller using paper (tan and brown) what kind of craft paper was it.

Sorry for asking but you do say a certain amount of layers gives the compressed paper to turn out the way you want. SO secondly the thickness of the craft paper you choose will impact on the end result.

Again a really great idea.. needs patenting!

:goodjob: and Thank you.

:clap2:

sorry to take so long to answer your question, I haven't visited in a while.  When I was browsing in the store I didn't pay any attention to the weight or brand of the paper, I just grabbed what I thought would work.  it was smooth and matt-finished and maybe a little heavier than children's construction paper.