1/32 Tamiya P-51D

Cpig

You'll like this kit, but be light on the Bourbon as the instructions definitely need to be followed. :lol:

Yep, I've already screwed up on step 3 / carburator; I wasn't reading the part numbers and pulled two pieces off the wrong sprue that look identical to V7 and V8 (but the mounting screw hole is in a different spot). I have no idea why they would put two imposter pieces on another sprue; these pieces are not even used on the model?! Oh well, I'll just have to make a slight modification when mounting to the firewall. Guess I need to take your advice and take it easy on the Bourbon.

Yep, I've already screwed up on step 3 / carburator; I wasn't reading the part numbers and pulled two pieces off the wrong sprue that look identical to V7 and V8 (but the mounting screw hole is in a different spot). I have no idea why they would put two imposter pieces on another sprue; these pieces are not even used on the model?! Oh well, I'll just have to make a slight modification when mounting to the firewall. Guess I need to take your advice and take it easy on the Bourbon.

Bummer, but I speak the truth, you really have to pay attention with this one for sure. The reason for the different parts is because the engine basics are actually out of the Spitty kit. There are many other parts that are similar but note used as well. I assume these parts are four future versions etc.

I'm currently working on this kit as well, and preparing the engine parts for assembly. Unless you've glued things together, meaning onto the Spitfire parts, you should be able to assemble V7 to V8 and attach the other bits to this.

Sincerely,

Mark

I'm currently working on this kit as well, and preparing the engine parts for assembly. Unless you've glued things together, meaning onto the Spitfire parts, you should be able to assemble V7 to V8 and attach the other bits to this.

Sincerely,

Mark

I was way past gluing, already had it painted as well when I noticed the correct parts on the V sprue. Lookin forward to seeing your Mustang build Mark; you are going to post it aren't you????

Joe

Not much to show right now. As everyone who is building this kit knows, it takes a lot of prep work. All I'm doing now is preparing the parts and comparing them to what limited references I have on the P-51. I'd like to do some work on it, but I need to track down more and better information.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Old Dog, I went ahead and did just that. Fortunately, the already glued on parts came off easily with a twist and I now have the correct parts in place.

Just waiting on my HGW seatbelts to finish the cockpit.

Prepped parts with MM Metalizer aluminum

6776699597_6069924d2a_b.jpg

Prepped wooden floorboard with Vallejo wood grain

6776804433_8aa413c636_b.jpg

Painted floorboard black, then immediately rubbed with damp Q-tip to simulate worn through paint.

6776805089_4f5ec4b1a1.jpg

6776806989_5c3e74ab6b_b.jpg

6776805757_721ac9344a_b.jpg

6776809567_d0df52ee0d_b.jpg

Used Barracuda Cals for most of the placards and cockpit decals. While the decals were good quality and filled the gap left by the Tamiya cals,

they were the dreaded two-part decals which added to my pain and frustration of trying to get these in place. Why do they even make two part decals?

Do they think we enjoy the added pain?

6776808943_05f1d698cb_b.jpg

Cuda Cals became distorted when I touched them with Solvaset so I had to go to the Tamiya decals for the cals at the top. Thankfully, the Tamiya cals

were one piece which made them a whole lot easier to apply.

6776807995_041ffbaaff_b.jpg

6776702471_4753fb6709_b.jpg

Edited by Cpig

Thanks Ron.

Got the seatbelts in from HGW. They did a great job on these belts. Instructions are easy enough to figure out as long as you don't try to read them (that gave me a headache). Note that textile parts 2 and 3 are reversed on the instruction sheet. You really need some patience and a magnifying lamp to work with them but they are worth it when finished.

6804131129_153418a9ec_b.jpg

6804129725_e0091ccb94_b.jpg

6804129275_9bbc088622.jpg

6804128745_b10cafb7f6_b.jpg

6804130673_625ef98483_b.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Excellent work on the front office of your Mustang. Seatbelts and harnesses look terrific as well. I'm also working on the Tamiya kit and building it as Big Beautiful Doll. I'm really amazed at the detail Tamiya has lavished on the kit. Will be following along with extra added interest.

Peter

:speak_cool:

Thanks Peter, Ron.

Got some work done on the gun bays and fuse.

6815173169_d15a2c6cc0_b.jpg

Went with exhausts w/ fairings to fit Bud Anderson's bird. Used MM metalizer burnt metal and burnt iron combo. Going to leave them unattached until after final painting.

6804883691_8756291ea4_b.jpg

6815196453_1274d73862_b.jpg