1:32 Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop

Ralph Riese

Yep lazycat - got the shape thing. Only way I could see would be to thin the fuselage halves from the inside and make some bulkheads (like the new Hasegawa Raiden) to pull the shape in. I'm hopeless at anything much past OOB (as you'll see below) so will leave the corrections to the good guys.

Fitting Master Model (AM-32-018) Hispane 20mm cannons....

1S-9.jpg

2S-9.jpg

Slight difference in size; nice improvement in the detail. Line drawings show a ring on the cannon near the wing leading edge - where the cannon fairing meets the wing stub (I think). The ring wasn't apparent on the metal parts. Without the ring the part was positioned by measuring wing edge-to-cannon muzzle on a 48th scale line drawing and scaling to 32nd.

4S-9.jpg

5S-9.jpg

The mess I made when removing the kit cannon and drilling into the wing was covered with some 5 thou card once the metal parts had been glued in with 5-minute Araldite. Would have been sensible to sand off the "plate" rather than simply adding the card over it. "Next time..."

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Model primed with a 50:50 mix of Tamiya's acrylic XF-2 Flat White and XF-19 Sky Grey. The mix was thinned with Tamiya's lacquer thinner in the hope of avoiding the chalky, flat finish. In this case the finish is much less chalky and more durable, but still dead flat.

1S-12.jpg

2S-12.jpg

Cockpit door hinge copied from the Tamiya Mk.IX part - added with bits of stretched sprue.

6S-10.jpg

7S-7.jpg

8S-7.jpg

9S-6.jpg

10S-3.jpg

Amazing how a little paint shows up misaligned parts and gaps...

3S-12.jpg

4S-12.jpg

5S-12.jpg

"Happy New Year" to all. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Ralph.

Cheers Harv - fixes done, and some underside colour applied.

Basecoated with a 3:1 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and XF-23 Light Blue based on the "RAF Sky Blue" callout for afew Malta Defenders depicted on the Rising Decals "Mediterranean Spitfires" decal sheet (72037). Some Tamiya tape added here and there, and then some mottling with XF-82 Ocean Grey 2 (RAF), XF-68 NATO Brown, and XF-49 Khaki.

1S-13.jpg

2S-13.jpg

3S-13.jpg

Misting coats of Gunze Sangyo H314 Blue FS35622 to pull things together...

4S-13.jpg

5S-13.jpg

6S-11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am very interested in the weathering method you used, that is very realistic. Especially the non-weathered panels hidden by the tape, great idea. Thanks for the 'how to' process.

This may be enough to force me to buy the Hobby Boss kit.

Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

been a while...

found a Malta Spitfire scheme, so preshading with XF-52 Flat Earth and XF-54 Dark Sea Grey...

3S-52_zpsa8320c35.jpg

4S-53_zps67d4187e.jpg

equal parts XF-52 and XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown for the RAF Dark Earth, and equal parts XF-54 and XF-18 Medium Blue for the blue-grey...

1S-53_zps4fde8a73.jpg

2S-52_zps81a02234.jpg

3S-52_zpsa7d7c64a.jpg

5S-52_zpseaa22857.jpg

Edited by Ralph Riese

markings painted using Mal Mayfield's Mircle Paint Masks...

1S-53_zpsc32b5af3.jpg

2S-52_zps53d52a6e.jpg

7S-34_zpsaa87970d.jpg

3:1 mix of XF-69 NATO Black and XF-1 Flat Black for the modified black

4S-53_zps375a908c.jpg

3:1 mix of XF-3 Flat Yellow and XF-4 Yellow Green over straight XF-4

8S-31_zpsb2634f71.jpg

X-3 Royal Blue, and 1:1 mix of XF-7 Flat Red and XF-10 Flat Brown

10S-17_zpsb01e9f30.jpgnot sure about the code placement - the "GL" wouldn't fit between the roundel and the serilal number, so "say no more..."

Edited by Ralph Riese