• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Southern Bandit

The Southern Bandit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

Over the moon with this new addition to my Guitar family, bought it on the Black Friday sales from UK company Guitar Guitar, pretty much half price really, glad I got it when I did because they all sold like hotcakes the same day.

Its an ESP budget model, kinda like a Fender Squire thing, but on steroids, not a full ESP guitar but not many corners have been cut either, out of the box it was close to being in tune, the action and intonation ETC suit me very well, the finish may not be to everyone's taste, but I like it ... really do, its so immaculate I'm treating it with baby hands now, once it gets its first dent or scar, I'll be much more in content with it ... but already and its a hard thing to happen, this guitar fits me like a glove.

I got into trouble hovering over it for this picture from a lady friend, last time I did this type of picture I fell and fell hard and broke my neck, but unseen I was holding on (long story, but my spine is very brittle and fragile) all was fine though, needed that shot.

Close up of the neck head-stock too, Made in Indonesia, but under brand name from ESP ... thats cool with me, the instrument is fine, only time I'd worry where a guitar was made would probably be Fender, have a couple of Strats, one is American one is Mexican, but traditionally American Strats are more sought after and hold prices better, but quality wise ... I really dont think there is anything in it?   My Ritchie Blackmore sig Strat was Mexican made I think, but who could tell by playing it or the sound it can produce, not me :)

The important thing is ... I love this guitar, it suits me so well, tuners are precise, it stays in tune, pots could be better, love its sound and I'm having fun exploring this new instrument ... my Christmas present to myself, basically.

Pics and vid of a guy who really knows how to play this one.

iGuQpXQ.jpg

NNhbEHw.jpg

• Rick Griewski, paul fisher, mywifehatesmodels and 8 others like this

#2 Troy Molitor

Troy Molitor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

My oldest son is certainly like you. I get a kick out of his and your passion. I helped him paint a few guitars over the years and also finding a few at some estate sales when everyone would pass up a vintage guitar. We would come back the second day and it would be half off. He would research a particular brand forever before he would put down his hard earn money for it. It's certainly another life long hobby.
Enjoy your new friend!

Troy
  • The Southern Bandit likes this

#3 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Niiiiice. Nearly all of my guitars over the years have been ESPs... well, LTDs, I can't afford the full ESPs. Bloody good instruments. Right now the only one I still own is a DV8R, LTD Dave Mustaine signature V.

#4 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Nice axe! Guitars are about the only real hobby I have anymore, model making for this long it ceases to be a recreational thing, but playing and building guitars is my favorite thing to do. I've been itching to start building a new one but the Skyraider has been eating all my time lately.

Play on!

#5 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

You axe men have inspired me to have my Roger McGuinn Rickenbacker 12 string re-strung, though I hit a speed bump because the tailpiece is cast from pot metal and broke. Rickenbacker will replace it, but I have to pay for it. :BANGHEAD2:

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#6 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:07 PM

That's a beauty! I've recently been trying to get back into playing myself, but have hit a few snags.

Kev

#7 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:30 AM

Have fun with your new guitar! 

(I'm a guitarist too).

:party0023:  

#8 Maxim

Maxim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:04 AM

That looks really nice!

#9 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

OMG thats gorgeous, solid body I assume?

Congrats on a fine instrument.

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#10 The Southern Bandit

The Southern Bandit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:17 AM

OMG thats gorgeous, solid body I assume?

Congrats on a fine instrument.

Yes its a solid body, its the obvious Gibson Les Paul shape but body is not quite so thick (or heavy wearing it standing up with strap on) still look at it, pick it up and play it and pleased to bits with it, so no buyers remorse, just glad I saw and grabbed the opportunity to own this instrument when I did.

Have spent a bit more time exploring it now and its a keeper for sure, recently read some good advice for those thinking of getting back into Guitar again, or perhaps for the first time, sounds silly but it makes perfect sense if you have even just a little musical instrument experience, read this on another forum but applies to me perfectly.

The thing with buying guitars more than anything else, in my opinion, is does it speak to you? Does it want you to play it? Does it make you want to pick up and play it? If it does, that's the perfect guitar for you.

I even apply this philosophy to gear - pedals, pickups, amps etc. - if they make you pick the guitar up then that's what you need.

But of course when buying a new or even old guitar, your really should try before you buy, got lucky with this one on mail order black Friday sale, its fits me like a glove.

Edited by The Southern Bandit, 14 December 2017 - 12:24 AM.

• Shawn M likes this

#11 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:38 AM

About the closest I can come to anything related to musical talent is tuning a radio or opening my Pandora app. I will say this, if I could play, I would be the biggest guitar whore ever. I think they are some of the most beautiful instruments ever made, so many varieties and styles. And after spending the last few days in Nashville and touring the Ryman Auditorium (original Grand Ole Opry), the draw is even stronger.
That sure is a beauty!

#12 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

instruments are very much like rabbits....they multiple at an exponential rate lol

one drum set turned into 2

one snare drum turned into 10

some cymbals turned into 40+

somehow I keep getting guitars as well and I dont even play, they get left in the studio and I adopt them lol

Edited by Shawn M, 14 December 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#13 Nick32

Nick32

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

That's a beaut of a guitar, nice one! One of these day's i'll add  one of these to my collection. I've played a few and always been impressed with them.

Edited by Nick32, 14 December 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#14 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

This is the last one I built, neck-thru with a maple top and semi hollow mahogany body, very comfy and at six pounds you don't need a visit to the chiropractor after a gig.I'm thinking I should do another like it with quilted maple like on your new guitar, I have some I stashed away 20 years ago when a guy could actually afford to buy the stuff....Now it's nearly all gone to the big manufacturers and VERY spendy to get decent wood.

V2RsyxD.jpg?1

• Shawn M, Nick32, Zero77 and 2 others like this

#15 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:14 PM

Paul thats a beauty

• paul fisher likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic