Minicraft 737-300 in Ansett Livery

LSP_Kevin

I started this one immediately after finishing my recent BAe-146 model, with the hopes that it would be a quick and simple build. And largely it was. It wasn't helped at first though by Minicraft themselves being confused about exactly which version of the 737 they were trying to represent:

file.jpg

file-2.jpg

:shrug:

Luckily a quick enquiry over at ARC told me that it was indeed meant to be a -300. I'm pretty keen to build most of my airliner kits in Aussie liveries where possible, and for this build I had a set of Flightpath decals for an Ansett 737-300. The problem I had was that the Minicraft kit has no window openings, and the Flightpath sheet didn't contain any window decals! I'd like to publicly thank Ben Brown for coming to the rescue with his generous donation of a set of AHS 737 window decals for this build, which gave me everything I needed to start the model. Thanks Ben!

My only deviation from OOB was boxing in the cavern provided for the main wheel bays. Otherwise the main wheel bays consist of the entire fuselage cavity! Even with this construction detour, I still had the main components together in about 3 evenings. Fit of all major components is excellent.

Anyway, enough chit-chat; on with the photos!

file-5.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-7.jpg

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-10.jpg

file-11.jpg

Thanks as always for looking. I promise to get back to an LSP build now!

Kev

Lovely clean build Kev!

Really like your mini airliner series!!!! :thumbsup:

For once its something I actually know about having worked at Heathrow for a good few years and

the difference between a 300 and a 400 is pretty noticeable!!!!!

Phil :clap2:

Thanks Phil, much appreciated! 737s are pretty common in Aussie skies, so I'll be looking to pick up some more kits of the various versions as I go along. I have an Airfix 737-200 waiting for me to find some some Aussie stickers for it.

Kev

That's pretty cool - nice, shiney and clean and I suppose a welcome break from doing something scuffed and battle worn.

Great idea about collecting the airliners used in Oz; I wonder whether I can do the same for pre-independence Rhodesia. Hmmm, might have to think about that.

Grant.

Thanks Grant. I'm not a slave to the Aussie liveries thing, but do prefer it wherever possible. Plenty of airliner kits out there that represent aircraft that no Aussie airline ever flew, so I do those as they come.

You should do the Rhodesia thing though!

Kev

You're a machine Kev, I love it. No 737's in my stash (at the moment anyway), but I'd probably go Doyusha 1:100 anyway. Nazca does very nice decals, and will re-size to whatever scale you desire. Don't know if this is your kind of thing or not, but Squadron so far does a couple of fairly economical books on commercial subjects.

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SS28002

You're a machine Kev, I love it. No 737's in my stash (at the moment anyway), but I'd probably go Doyusha 1:100 anyway. Nazca does very nice decals, and will re-size to whatever scale you desire. Don't know if this is your kind of thing or not, but Squadron so far does a couple of fairly economical books on commercial subjects.

http://www.squadron....sp?item=SS28002

Thanks for the link mate. I generally prefer to build airliners with my eyes closed, but the more I build them the more interested I become. I wouldn't mind building a 737 in 1/72, but AFAIK there are no viable options at the moment. I'm pretty certain that AIM had one available at one stage, but it's not in their current catalogue. That leaves converting the Heller 707, if you can find one, but that would be a Heller'va job. Despite its reputation, I wouldn't mind a stab at the Airfix 1/72 Concorde either.

Kev

If you're not afraid of a little vac and scratchbuilding (1/72 almost calles for a interiour), then Welsh Models might have what you are looking for. Can't be much harder than hacking up a Heller 707... ;)

Thanks KOTR. I'd forgotten about the Welsh kits.They even do 737s in Qantas and Virgin Blue liveries. Unfortunately they're way out of my price range (as is the AIM stuff). But at least I know there's a simpler option should I ever be able to afford it!

Kev

Thanks again fellas. There are more accurate 737 kits out there (and certainly better detailed!), but the Minicraft one goes together without too much fuss. Kev

I see that you are on a pretty good civil airliner kick at the moment Kev. Very nice model, with a very fetching colour scheme :goodjob:

You are correct (as is KOTR) about the availability of alternative B-737 kits (yeah, the Welsh Models 737 series is another one of mine I'm afraid! :rolleyes: - I made separate detailed undercarriage whhel bays for that kit to fill the 'holes').

Cheers

Derek

(I have some spare Welsh Models decal sheets if you hit problems with windows in the future - Densil always provides separate windscreen, window and door decals with all of his airliner livery decal sheets; they are top quality too!).

Edited by Derek B