The Art Of The Storyboard Diorama

John Reid

Outline 4

Storyboarding, What is it ?

Storyboarding goes back to the 1920's and even earlier.Walt Disney developed it into an art using drawings posted in a logical sequence on a wall.Drawing could be added or deleted depending on the storylines development in what were called brain storming sessions.These brainstorming sessions allowed for everybodys creative input and could be quite lively with the animator/pitchman acting out the various roles of the characters.Evidently Walt was a genius at this and some of his best performances were never recorded.

Storyboarding for dioramas is a little different in that the brainstorming sessions are mostly mental sessions that the storyboard dioramist works out in his own mind ,before anything is actually put down on paper .What to leave in and what to leave out? that is the big question.These mental sketches are then translated into a 3D diorama sets by the dioramist.Using these sets, a series of storyboard pictures can be created that tell his story in a logical sequence.

This is different than anything that I have seen or heard of before and is why I had such a hard time answering Shep's question "of what is a storyboard diorama anyway." A storyboard diorama is something like a series of shadowbox dioramas linked together by what I hope is an interesting storyline.

Outline 5

Storyboard type dioramas are best suited to a museum type setting. It has been an accepted norm in the past that if it needs explanation then it is probably a poor diorama.Normally I would agree with this statement but rules are made to be broken.Isn't that what art is really all about anyway?

Ideally ,in this case ,it would be wise to have a guide or other knowledgeable person there to answer questions and point the viewer in the right direction.

Storyboard dioramas are specifically intended for a museum type of environment.They are meant to educate yes but in an entertaining way.Most of the general public have no idea what they are looking at, so some form of guidance is necessary.

The Camel is situated at the back right hand corner of the diorama.I placed it here for close viewer inspection.The guns of course are the big attraction here.They are meant to look like they are fake and made from tin or wood and are brightly painted.This is for a lot of viewers the first time that they would have seen a WW1 aircraft fuselage up close.The radial engine is especially interesting for those who have never seen one before.I have left the fuselage open but of course for transport it probably would have been covered.(that old artistic license again)The back half has already been battened down and a large tarp should take care of the rest.The flying circus sign is a little bit of free advertising.

WW1 fighter airplanes were also extensively used for study purposes by universities teaching aeronautics.

The old Ford CNR truck is awaiting the driver who has stopped outside the door of the rest room, in anticipation of a long road trip to the rail yards.It is in not the unusual postilion of having its engine looked at for water or oil leaks before the long journey.The wing crates have yet to be loaded on and secured.I sure hope there is enough room in the flatbed for them otherwise they will have to be secured to the airplane fuselages side.

This is the view through the hangars backdoor.I left the lights on for a better look inside.On the left is the WC presently occupied by the driver,on the right is a coal storage area for the stove located in the carpenter's shop.Straight ahead is the door to the hangar itself which is now in darkness.The carpenter's shop is located to the left just beyond this door.

Back outside again and continuing along the back wall an old air show car comes into view.Someone moved it there and then kind of forgot about it.It should of really been hauled away to the scrap yard ages ago. Besides it is always there in the way of the guys trying to deliver the coal.

This is very entertaining. It reminds me of the David Jones city department store at Christmas time and the animated dioramas in each of its outside windows. Families move along from one window to the next to get to the next stage of the Christmas story.

Thank you Chris for this memory! There was a department store here in Montreal that did somewhat the same thing and people just loved it.All those little noses pressed up against the glass in wide-eyed excitement.Wonderful !