Revell P-51B Mustang

Adrian A.

The left sidewall kit part - cut down, sanded & installed.

I'm hoping to get to installing the PE on it this weekend.

I also had to trim the bottom part of the sidewall to accommodate the added height that the cedar laminate on the floor caused.

post-177-1260498100.jpg

Last pic for the night and I'm completely caught up to date on this build.

These are the Eduard pre-painted seatbelts. I don't think I really like them to tell you the truth.

I read on a post recently that the pre-painted sets tend to flake unless your very carefull. Well i guess I wasn't careful enough or I just needed to mold them into position more than they are designed to do.

Anywho, I did get a bit of flaking - nothing traumatic & I MIGHT still use them, just thinking out loud I guess.

BTW, the set I got # 32 604 does not contain the shoulder harness only the lap belts.

More to come later.

Thanks for looking in!!

Adrian

post-177-1260498601.jpg

Thanks for the comment & the earlier bump wingman - I appreciate it.

I worked on both the Mustang & the Lightning today. The Mustang work took up quite a bit of my time today - I was working with PE and as it's a relatively new experience for me, it took quite a while to get done.

I'm using the Eduard P-51B Mustang III Cockpit Kit # 32 013.

I started working on the left sidewall. It was somewhat a trick trying to keep the PE in place while trying NOT to get superglue all over everything - but I managed.

I started with this part, attaching it to the cutdown & sanded kit part

post-177-1260759354.jpg

A couple of other parts went down 'fairly' easy (which is a relative term). I'm getting a little better at it, but my fingers don't really function well at such a small level! I did manage to get some of the bend out of those pieces mounted here before I installed the levers in them tho. (kinda like a miracle!!)

post-177-1260759987.jpg

Some of the levers installed. It was a bit frustrating not to be able to get all of the bends out of the pieces but I guess it comes down to either experience, dexterity or both (& I don't have much of either one)

post-177-1260760407.jpg

Additional levers installed. Unfortunately some of the first levers I installed got eaten by the carpet monster after they jumped off the sidewall for some reason. I found suitable replacements that should look fine once they are painted & the fuse buttoned up.

post-177-1260760813.jpg

I added a bit of styrene to the lever & it came out OK. There were a few pieces left to be added in this shot but I think Eduard used the wrong number (?) on the instructions. Eduard calls for 55 & 51 to be added but I cant find a %%. I suppose it should both be 51 as they have two 51 on the fret.

I'm not going to loose much sleep over part 55, I'll just mount 51 & be done with it.

I'll be adding some Waldron placards to this side after I put a coat of paint on it.

One question guy's - should all of this be painted interior green as the rest of the sidewall or highlight these parts in flat black?

post-177-1260760973.jpg

All of the interior framing should be green everything mounted to it should be black......

I was looking at the photo of your propeller, and I forgot about how crap those blades are. I have a spare set of Hasegawa Blades I could send you to install on the spinner....While not completely accurate it is one of those improvements that will pay you back at the end. I did that with the last Revell B I built and it helped. Drop me a PM if you are interested......

Looking good on the p.e.

THOR :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments Thor, I appreciate it! Thanks also for the offer on the Hase blades - PM sent.

I managed to get a little done on both this build an a bit on my Lightning also.

I used Thors advice & put a bit of zinc chromate green on the sidewalls. I noticed a few spots in the photo that needs a bit of extra attention, so I'll do a bit more work on it & touch it up again & it should wind up OK.

Is it just me or does the photos make little inconsistencies that you don't (or didn't) see just jump out at you?

The glue spots in this photo wasn't really that noticeable until I hit it with some paint.

Either that or it may just be the eyesight?!

post-177-1260850330.jpg

Black on the accessories needs a little bit of a touch up also.

Is there a trick to helping the paint adhere to the PE?

I'm brush painting all this and I'm trying not to obscure too much of the detail, but the paint doesn't stick well on the PE.

I guess a little dry brushing would help.

I'll also be adding some of the Waldron placards to this in the next few days also.

post-177-1260850441.jpg

I started work on the Rutman tires tonight also. I really like the way he made them with the tires & hubs separate. It makes it easy for klutzes like me to get the paint looking decent.

I got the initial coat of flat black on the tires tonight. I'll be working on the hubs & landing gear also in the coming week or so.

post-177-1260850992.jpg

Last pic of the night is of the chunk of plastic Revell furnished for the right sidewall.

I'll be hacking away everything except the frames.

I started making some cuts but almost cut myself & said enough for tonight!

I'll be adding the PE to it over the next couple of days. I have some braided wire that I think will make a pretty nice oxygen hose - at least I'm hoping it will.

If not, I'll use a method for the oxy hose that I've seen on a number of builds on LSP - wrapping a smaller gauge wire around a larger wire in a tight wrap.

Thanks for looking in, I appreciate it!

Adrian A.

post-177-1260851424.jpg

Adrian-

Looking good. The apint issue with the photoetch can be a couple of things. First, if you are using acrylics, if the photoetch is not totally clean from handling, the oils from your skin could cause that. Also, the paint could be iffy, or possibly not mixed enough. I generally spray Alclad primer before I paint photetch, as it seems to bite fairly well. Before priming, I usually wash the parts down with isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush, as this seems to eliminate most oil problems. Try it next time around. Once primed with someting that will stick, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to paint!

I will try and get the blades to you as soon as possible. Keep it up!!!!

THOR :party0023: