Roden's Albatros D.III: Weathering, U/C, and some Rigging

Gazzas

Funny one guys

GAZ it's a transparent monofilament fishing or sewing line that is tinted with smoke Colour. That you can purchase.

Or I take a magic marker / Sharpie to clear fishing line and color it.

You can run a pencil along it too

Hi Everyone,

I've completed the Roden Albatros as much as it's gonna be completed.  There's more I could and should have done, but I've gone too far to go back.  I had a lot of problems with the struts.  I already have my eye on future Roden aircraft, and I've decided I'll do my best to replace the plastic kit struts with metal struts that I'll try to fabricate on my own which will be embedded deep in the plastic.

This is my second biplane.  It taught me a lot, so I'm hoping my third will be much better.

Special thanks to Bob's Buckles and everyone else who followed along and helped to motivate me.

There are more photos over at the RFI forum:  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=74083

M2SVwn.jpg

Gaz

Congrats, Gaz! She is a beauty, for sure.

May I Heartily encourage you to give a try to a Wingnuts kit such as the Fokker D.VII or the Sopwith Pup before you go for another Roden kit. I am fully confident that you will find the Wingnuts kits far easier to build because of the amazingly excellent engineering. You will most certainly not have to worry about strut issues. I really think you will find it a wonderful and game changing experience.

By all means, contact me if you have any questions. I don't get a commission, but these kits have really changed my model building and I want everyone to be as tickled as I am.

Cheers from NYC (where I spread mirth and happiness before me at every step),

Michael

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Awesome build .. what a job and considering all the hurdles you had to overcome:  "one heck of a build"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

That looks great. Are you sure it's not a WNW kit?

Don, Thank you!  Although I haven't built a WNW kit, yet, I can assure you that this one is unworthy of the praise heaped upon other WNW kits.

Congrats, Gaz! She is a beauty, for sure.

May I Heartily encourage you to give a try to a Wingnuts kit such as the Fokker D.VII or the Sopwith Pup before you go for another Roden kit. I am fully confident that you will find the Wingnuts kits far easier to build because of the amazingly excellent engineering. You will most certainly not have to worry about strut issues. I really think you will find it a wonderful and game changing experience.

By all means, contact me if you have any questions. I don't get a commission, but these kits have really changed my model building and I want everyone to be as tickled as I am.

Cheers from NYC (where I spread mirth and happiness before me at every step),

Michael

Michael,

Thank you for both the compliment and your kind offer.  My next WWI kit will be a WNW Albatros D.Va.  I bought the Greentail Trilogy a month ago or so and have been periodically looking at it's goodies.  BTW, all of the Maltese Crosses on this kit were donated from the WNW Trilogy.  The only Roden decals I used were the smaller ones.

Kev, Lothar, Peter, and Red Dog, than k you for your kind words!

Gaz

Lovely DIII Gaz.

You'll love the WNW Albie, as Michael says, the engineering is on a different level. Not worrying about the basic fit and alignment will allow you to concentrate on the smaller things. That said, the tolerances are somewhat tighter than Roden's, so keep an eye on paint build up on joining surfaces (this is all mentioned a lot on the many online builds you'll be able o find.

Matt