IL-2M3 Sturmovik by Hobby Boss

Thanks guys!! appreciate the positives. Have to stop here for a couple days, gave my thumb a real good slice 'n dice today at a spot where modelling may be a pain...will get back asap!!

Don

Beautiful-looking cockpit! The only thing I would change is the fuel tank - it would not have been weathered like that. On the arrow, they were fibreglass covered with rubber. I've seen photographs of 60-70 year old fuel tanks that are still completely black. It must have been fun filling in those panel lines on the aft fuselage - I just sanded mine down until they were gone. Your paint/colour choices for the exterior look quite good - I like that AMT-1 Light Brown; that can be a bit of tricky colour. For what it's worth, I also use Gunship Gray straight out of the bottle for the AMT-12 Dark Grey.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

The only out of bottle color i used was FS36118, all others were mixes. They were a lot of "fun" to get close. The gas tank i was wondering about. I saw a pic that showed a fuel tank with a slightly rough texture in black, makes sense that it was fibreglas covered with rubber. Not to late to mask and spray the tank just have to be a little careful. Thanks for the info, Jason!!

Don

You're welcome, Don! As you can see from my avatar, the Il-2's a bit of a passion for me. I think you're doing an excellent job with yours, and it looks like you put a lot of research into it also. Don't let people scare you too much about the Soviet GPW (Great Patriotic War - Eastern Front) colours. They were actually quite simple, and nothing like the mess that is RLM colours (especially late-war), for example. Just remember this - from late 1941 to the end of 1943, basically everything in the Red Air Force was black and green over blue. From the end of 1943 to the end of the war, fighters changed to an air superiority two-grey scheme of our friend AMT-12 Dark Grey and AMT-11 Grey-Blue (actually a medium grey with a touch of blue) over AMT-7 Blue. Nearly everything else in this time frame, including the Shturmovik, was AMT-12 Dark Grey, AMT-1 Light Brown, and AMT-4 Green over AMT-7 Blue. Some night aircraft substituted black for the AMT-12 Dark Grey and the AMT-7 Blue. That's it. No three different versions of RLM 81, no disagreement over whether RLM 83 was a light or dark green, or even blue. Simples. The disagreement these days seems to be about tones - darker or lighter, but the hues (basic colours) are well-settled. One warning, though: if you ever read anything saying the Soviets painted their aircraft during the GPW in brown and green over blue, RUN!

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. I won't say I wrote THE book on the Il-2, but I did write A book on the Il-2.

Edited by Learstang

Yup!! Colors are never in dispute, the tones something else. What i have seen are the different tones at different ages and weathering, this is interpretations on builds.  I picked my shades, and dat is dat!! I did some progress on the build, the basic stuff is straightforward, just clean up the joins and you should be good. Added some small stuff that is again obvious by its absence. I added the splitter on the cooling duct opening, added some sheet in behind the three ducts behind the prop and some plastic rod stock as hinges to a panel below the exhaust. The rudder is finished, the counterbalance looks easily damaged so i will remove rudder from sprue at last moment. Landing gear going by instructions needed to be added before covers(?) installed, i'll add gear after painting. It will fit, just don't assemble complete, but assemble after.

IMG_4989_zps05jtcwof.jpg

IMG_4987_zps3equybez.jpg

Small stuff, now. Hopefully will be ready for paint by weekend.

Don

Nice work on the cowling area! I made mine with the engine covers off and a detailed engines so I didn't have to worry about the panels. The work on the ducts does definitely add to the overall accuracy. This should look great once painted.

Regards,

Jason

Ya know, it's only small stuff, but it's suprising how much it adds to a build. I also have to wonder why HB could miss all these small things. Looking at the landing gear I can see how there's a lot missing there, too. Funny, the Tamiya 1/48 kit (much smaller) includes the detail and the gear includes the missing hydraulic cylinders....

Don

Not too crazy about the individual exhaust stacks,PITA to paint/weather/install, AND they were in two pieces each. I measured and glued them to a scrap of sheet plastic so i could paint/weather etc and install easily. One side i got the cylinder head spacing right, so the pipes may stick out a bit, the other side the head is off a bit, so it will be right.

IMG_4990_zpsnf4jtw5z.jpg

IMG_4991_zpss2yx2jqu.jpg

Don