Seafire MK 47

Chris/Germany

That's the spirit man. I get supplies of stuff whenever I go abroad and find a decent model shop. This chunk of rock in the middle of the sea where I live stocks nothing but a few models and some paint but no aftermarket stuff and nearly nothing in 32nd scale. We are really lucky to be getting one of the shops importing the Trumpeter range. Just one of each model and I had to book my P40 so as not to be disappointed. Cheers and keep slicing them tubes but watch out for the fingers. By the way the instrument panel on my Typhoon, 262's and eary spitfires were all done in that way so I know you are right and it works.

Hi all, my name is Ron & if you should ever want Reheat or Waldron details, such as instument bezels, canopy details or other aftermarket items that you can't find where you live, I'll secure them for you as a middle man & sell them to you for exactly what I pay for them from Roll Models, Squadron, Great Models or any of the othe shops I get my items from, plus shipping. Most are fairly light, so shipping costs shouldn't really be that much. Let me know if interested. By the way Chris, really fantastic work on the Jug & Seafire, I'm getting ready to attempt a full blown cutaway of the 1:48 B-17F myself, I've assembled all the materials & I'm getting ready to start casting all the various oxygen tanks used throughout the ship. You've given me a great many ideas to utilize in the project too, so as soon as construction begins I'll be posting on here. I realize that it's not 1:32 scale but I've built Combat's 1:32 B-17 before & I never was happy with the results or the quality of the kit.

:) ...Hi chris, i don't know were abouts you live in Germany, but did you ever try to order modeling stuff from the "Luchtvaart Hobbyshop" in the netherlands, to be specific from a supplier close to Amsterdam Schiphol airport? They have a mailorder system which works like a peach, large collection of models, supplies, addons, decals, conversionsets, and DETAILSETS.

I live close to the german border in the south of the netherlands, so it'll take a 2 to 2,5 hour drive to Schiphol to pay them a visit, but it's often worth your while, but like i said their mailorder system is very good, also internationally.

Try this out:

www.lhshop.nl

If you'd like to have specifics email me at my home addy:

sjack@home.nl

Gruss,

Jack.

Hiya Chris,

You think Germany is bad? Try Slovenia! As much as I love this place it is no good as far as modeling supllies are concerned. By the way do you have a source for that aluminium tubing? I can get only brass ones in the small diameter we use.

Have fun and great work on the Spit

Saso.

Hy guys, sorry for the delay, been out for a few days with the family......to Ron and Jack: surely I order some small aftermarket stuff from time to time ( two or three times a year) via the well known mailorder companies like greatmodels and some else, but I only do this when I have a bunch of items to save this horrable shipping costs. I also know the Luchtvaart Hobby shop( as far as I know the biggest modelling shop in Europe) some guys of our club travel there also two times a year and sometimes I give a small order to them to get some adftermarket stuff. the real problem is: When you working on a modell and have started it and you think: oh, I´ll give it a aftermarket cockpit and some other goodies!" it´s the damned thing of ordering them and then waiting at least 4 or 6 weeks to get them to get your models progress on. That´s the real ****...when I´m working on a model I want to keep the workflow and also want to keep some good ideas that come with the progress which is really destroyed by waiting for some parts to finish. But as stated before, I´m a modeller and why not scratch a part I can´t get within a few days? .....and saved a bit of money for the next kit also... anyway, thanx a lot for your offers, will remeber it if I need something special... ;)

To Sazo: the alu- tubings normally can also be found in a RC- modellers store where I also buy some of the aluminium sheets, should be no problem, if so, try a RC- modellers catalogue, hope this helps..

cheers

Chris

;) no sweat Chris, i like your attitude, scratch 'em if it's not available, i do the same, but anyhow you're modeling great stuff.

Gruss,

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

How is the Seafire conversion coming along? Thanks for the picture of the Warbirds Production Spitfire 22/24 correction set. Are you using this set for the Seafire conversion?

Too bad Warbirds doesn't make a conversion for the Matchbox kit. Looking at the picture of their correction set it wouldn't require very many additional parts. A different spinner with 6 instead of 5 blades, a different carb inlet scoop, stinger tail, and wheel well blisters for the wings.

Thanks,

Steve

Hy Steve, will continue the work on the Seafire next week while the Jug is in the spray booth. Will not use the complete warbird correction set, think I will do a rework of the original cowling ´cause I´ll build her with open motor area ( the griffon "needs" to be shown) and so I can save the massive warbird nose for a real MK22/24.

Chris

OK...have done this with Jugs, Focke-Wulfs, Me´s, Mustangs and even with a Beaufighter......but the framework of a Spit is real madness!..so much holes......however, this is one of my favourite parts of scratchbuilding a plane´s construction ´cause making those tiny ribs of plywood with sanding and milling them smells a lot better than gluing aluminium and plastic with super glue :)

Here the ribs and framework of the port fuselage side is done....

post-4-1084645823.jpg

puuhhhh!......one thing´s for sure: if had taken a closer look to the OOB MK 24 from Matchbox i would have thought twice ´bout making a conversion to a 47!Lots of modifications and unfortunately the plastic is very, very hard ( dont know if this is because of the age of the kit or the quality of the Matchbox plastic itself), so cutting some parts of - like the landing flaps - mostly dont work without breaking something, not to mention the modifications that need to be done for a Mk 47.....but scratchbuilders first law: Dont give up, nothing´s impossible :P

Here are the main modifications are done: wrong shape of the "Griffon-bulges" are corrected with lots of 2K-filler and sanding paper - this has more from the job of a sculptor than a modeller -, air-intake modified, double-prop spinner, in front the vertical rudder with position light installed and at least modified lower part of the tail with the tail-hook.

again.....puuhhh :blink:

post-4-1085089253.jpg