Hasegawa F6F-3/5 Hellcat...

Shaka HI

Gotcha Shaka - I agree, that thread is a bit over the top for me - the pics of the aircraft I've seen do not show that level of wear.  I really liked your work on that cowling - can't believe you are stripping it and doing it over!  That would be a keeper for me.  BUT, looking forward to your work.  It's going to be amazing, I'm certain.

Chris

I would add very small amounts of YZC on top of some, but not all of the exposed scratches. Some small bits of YZC as well as silver along the wing leading edges. The Gloss Blue tended to stay better attached to the primer than the earlier flat sea blue and intermediate blue did. So, if anything the scratches and chipping should be less. The majority of foot traffic was on the inboard wing stubs because pilots climbed up from the trailing edge, and plane captains climbed up over the leading edge using the wheel as a step. There were raised rivet heads near the fuselage in the vicinity of the non skid areas, so paint tended to wear off these quickly. Scratches should be very narrow, which is why you need to keep the Prismacolor pencil very sharp.

I actually thought the cowling in the second photo looked really good; maybe reduce the number of scratches by 25% but other than that i wouldn't change anything.

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

Mahalo David. I appreciate your input.

I use these builds in prep for future builds -- a NMF finish next. So I use the NMF for chipping on this build to practice...and what looks great to the naked eye looks horrible with macro photography. I think coverage is my issue. I'll let the metal finish dry longer before continuing with the clear/color coats!

9aO2HZB.jpg

Ya..I agree, which is why I stripped it again!

I'll go even lighter and I might not even add the silver coat because well..these layers are noticeable to me. I might just do the primer coat/chip with a dull knife or toothpick /color coat/ chip with a silver pencil on certain strategic spots ever so lightly...

Not sure if I'll keep this one either...unlike the pict above this was sprayed with a dull clear coat (Windsor Newton Matte/Tamiya Lacquer). Silver chipping was done with a Prisma Color pencil. I purposely layered the blue to show the ZCY underneath..just so...I'll try some MiG filters to break up the blue..

Letvmwl.jpg