Panel scriber and tweezers

Jeff

I kn ow a lot of you guys re-scribe panel lines etc,  and I think I'm in need of a good scriber, and I KNOW I need a new set of good tweezers.... now with out breaking the bank, I'm curious as to what you guys use....I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount as I should, I just was wondering what the general consensus is...... and who you guys buy from, I'm leaning towards UMM.... they are wonderful to deal with so far...... so weigh in chaps.. I await your input...

Thanks guys, I have a set of the bent tweezers too, although not a very high quality set, but like you, Bill, I can't live without them... ok I will have a good close look at the UMM ones.... I was just curious as to what the" pro's" use....

The most valuable tool you can have in your rescribing arsenal is simply a needle in a pin vise. Custom scribing tools are great for straight lines and boxes, but for anything with rounded corners, they're next to useless. That's where the needle comes in, in combination with as many scribing templates as you can get your hands on.

Having said that, my dedicated scribing tool of choice for straight lines is a generic hook-nosed thing, the brand of which I'm not even sure about. I also have Radu's scribers, and the UMM one, which I'm actually yet to try.

Kev

I use UMI and Bare Metal Foil scribers. Scribing saws are used for curved surfaces. These are sold by Hasegawa and Radu. I have a number of fine curved and straight tweezers purchased from science supply. Bigger tip tools I picked up at various Nationals events.

HTH

Rick

The most valuable tool you can have in your rescribing arsenal is simply a needle in a pin vise. Custom scribing tools are great for straight lines and boxes, but for anything with rounded corners, they're next to useless. That's where the needle comes in, in combination with as many scribing templates as you can get your hands on.

Having said that, my dedicated scribing tool of choice for straight lines is a generic hook-nosed thing, the brand of which I'm not even sure about. I also have Radu's scribers, and the UMM one, which I'm actually yet to try.

Kev

I'm glad you mentioned the needle in a pin vice. I just started using one a few weeks ago and have found it invaluable! And the needles are cheap!

Thanks Paul, your site, is now in my favorites, great videos !  Thanks guys great information like this will help me make a decision and hopefully hone some skills I may find somewhere.... I really appreciate your input....

Jeff

I use the Trumpeter Scriber and like it.

Like others I also use needles (pins) in a pinvise.

Tweezers, ugh...I buy a lot of them but really favor some from the Science Department of my High School I borrowed 20 years ago with the "pin point" tips.

I also really like a set of flat jaw ones I have from Target, beauty supply section made by "Tweezer Man" brand.

I have the Tamiya and a olfa brand scribing tool, the type that slides up out of the handle like a plastic handle knife. And as mentioned, you can't go wrong with various sizes of needles.

I've also go a fair collection of different types of tweezers, but my go to set is actually a pair that I got off my wife that was designed to pluck eyebrows!