Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk I "Old Skool" Style (Picture Heavy&#33

fightersweep

Hi All;

Well, I threatened to join in, so I'm going to pitch in with the classic Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk Ia, a kit I first built at the age of 11 in 1980. I've been wanting to have another go at this kit for years, so this group build is the perfect excuse to act 11 years old all over again. So what have we got?

IMG_2291_zpsdcnlvohv.jpg

Lovely isn't it? My younger self couldn't get enough of artwork like this! Bought from my local model shop and built over a weekend. This time around, it may take a little longer...

IMG_2292_zpsyf0xymjt.jpg

Well, I guess I'll be aiming for something like this. I tried first time around and got close but received no cigar...

IMG_2294_zpshe9sylnl.jpg

These catalogues would have been my inspiration back then. These Airfix 1979 and Revell 1975 catalogues I obtained in a playground swap and I covered all the pages in drool flicking through and making enormous "wants" lists and putting ticks next to those I had and crosses next to those I wanted....

IMG_2295_zpspd4bqzeg.jpg

Well, I settled on this Revell 1/32 Spitfire and had to save up four weeks worth of pocket money before I had the necessary funds to run as fast as my legs could carry me to the model shop to buy it. I spent those four weeks sweating that it would sell before I got there. In all honesty, what I really, really wanted was that Airfix 1/24 Spitfire up on that other page....

IMG_2296_zpsehtkt3n2.jpg

As we all know, good reference material is essential. Sooooo, for the purposes of this Jurassic Group Build, I have dug out all the very best references that I used the first time I built this kit....

IMG_2302_zpswyoxaqrd.jpg

Aircraft of the Battle of Britain by William Green! I bought a copy of this book at a "Blue Peter Bring and Buy" sale at my school in 1979. It became the most thumbed book I owned...and I still have it...

IMG_2303_zpsxo2n76hn.jpg

...And there she is at the bottom of page 15. What better reference could a schoolboy need??

IMG_2305_zpsvhn4lgbt.jpg

Now, as then, this Spitfire will be built the "Old Skool" way. I've got tons of old Humbrol Authentic Colours, Airfix and Gloy paints which I will be using to paint this model, OOB and painted with hairy sticks. Tune in for the next installment when I peek inside the box and get so excited that I blow Tizer out of my nose. Must dash now, I think my tea is ready and John Craven is about to read the news..

TTFN!

Best regards;

Steve (aged 11 and three quarters)

Edited by fightersweep

Ah, nostalgia!  I had that William Green book, alas I can't remember what happened to it, it probably went astray in a house move.  Commando what? Books? Booklets? Magazines? I was never sure, but used to read them avidly.

I made Revell's early 109F and G, and the P-40E in the AVG markings - my first ever LSP - but I never got around to doing this edition of the Spitfire - wish I had!  Following.

Thanks guys! Glad to be on board!

Max...When it comes to my "retro" modelling, then I am a hoarder. I'll admit that. There's just something about those old products that whisk me back to carefree, happy days of ruining Mum's dining table with enamel paints, glue and craft knife gouges whilst tackling my newest Matchbox kit! I do love those old paints though...love the smell! And yes, I've got piles of Warlord, Battle, 2000AD and Commando comics, kit catalogues, Airfix and Britains Deetail soldiers, vintage model kits, Star Wars figures, Dinky and Corgi cars and tanks all over the place! I'm a hoarder AND a big kid! Haven't quite reached the stage where I can't get into my house yet though, but when that happens....I'll be coming to a Channel 4 documentary soon!!

Shaki Hi...I'm humbled! Hope I can keep up the momentum!

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys;

Apologies for the lack of activity so far. I run my own business, and the run up to Christmas is my busiest time of the year (like a lot of folks out there). I just haven't had the time to get started on this build, but things are starting to ease off, so I cracked open the box last night and hope to get this old crock off to a start in the next few days.

Having had a look at the contents of the old Revell Spitfire box, my thoughts were thus....

IMG_2298_zpsgig9qpan.jpg

Best regards;

Steve

Ha! - Pure class! I just took a look down memory lane - Apart from the Commando series my regular childhood magazine was Valiant and Lion which my foggy memory tells me also had links with Dick Emery's Airfix Modellers Club. (I think Buster magazine also had the same).

A slightly surreal combination given the comic characters he was so famous for portraying but apparently he was a genuinely passionate model maker.

Looking forward to this one...

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Hi Steve,

When I was about Eleven also, I received this same kit (your photo) for Christmas

IMG_2291_zpsdcnlvohv.jpg

I spent many a glorious hour building and painting it - flew many a mission there after :piliot:

I painted it in Humbrol colours Colours were then Humbrol:  Hu 3 Brunswick Green/ Hu 29 Dark Earth/ and Humbrol Authentic HB 5 Sky Type S - the model shop in Christchurch (New Zealand) had some authentic colours. Of course now I know Hu 3 was not correct, but I wouldn't change it. :)

I still have it in my collection (packed away at present) after all these years - a little worse for wear, but still with all parts etc.

Look forward to your build - real nostolga trip :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting

Regards

Alan

I built this one too, seems to me in my foggy memory back in about 1969 or so... I actually became an 'Ace" in this bird, I flew so many ops....thanks for taking me back, I love it

Jeff