1/32 Hasegawa P-26A Peashooter

Leaning_Dog

Looking towards seeing this build.

How interesting..I receive this kit from eBay and the box art is exactly like yours without the copyright statement and the plastic is a garish yellow/black color. What's up with this??

Around the mid '80s, several Korean and Taiwanese kit manufacturers started making unlicensed copies of various Japanese manufacturers' kits. The quality wasn't that great but they were a lot cheaper to buy so when the Japanese caught wind of it, they started printing that phrase on their kit boxes to put a stop to it. It worked for the most part.

Shaka, your issue of the kit most likely predates this as they eventually just printed the copyright on the side of the box.

Carl

Ya...nothing about my sample tells me that it's a counterfeit and even if it was, the mould quality looks super crispy to me.  I do see a Hasegawa logo on the interior part of a lower wing, but I suppose the Koreans/Chinese will duplicate that as well.

It smells musky...LOL, the decals have yellowed and this was still shrinked wrapped when I got it.

I love this aircraft -- it's quite quaint. I'm going to build it as perfectly as possible. Weathering is fun, but I noticed that I can just as easily use it to hide imperfections when it suits me.

[Edit: my sample is yellow and GREEN, not black.]

Edited by Shaka HI

Hi Guys - Thanks for all the great comments. I've been out of town the last few days, and buried with work for the next week so it will be a few days yet before I can get going with this one.

Ya...nothing about my sample tells me that it's a counterfeit and even if it was, the mould quality looks super crispy to me.  I do see a Hasegawa logo on the interior part of a lower wing, but I suppose the Koreans/Chinese will duplicate that as well.

It smells musky...LOL, the decals have yellowed and this was still shrinked wrapped when I got it.

I love this aircraft -- it's quite quaint. I'm going to build it as perfectly as possible. Weathering is fun, but I noticed that I can just as easily use it to hide imperfections when it suits me.

[Edit: my sample is yellow and GREEN, not black.]

Shaka Hi  My Peashooter sounds to be the same as yours. Yellowed decals and a flattened  discoloured  box. The sprues look sharp and flash free.

Andrew

Hi Shaka and Andrew -  It sounds like there are a lot of them resting quietly in stashes out there... and with so many colorful schemes from which to choose... you guys should join in the fun.   :whistle:

Cheers!

John.

Hi John,

My copy of that image strongly suggests that the engine cowl is gold, like the NACA speed ring.  The Navy had some standards for painting the cowl, but most of the Air Service/Corps units devised their own schemes.  I believe the radial-engined aircraft all left the factories with the cowl painted in the fuselage colors.

Enjoy the build!

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks, Dana! Gold it shall be.

Cheers!

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys - Thanks for the gentle prodding ... unfortunately work/life schedules have severely limited available time for model building.

Shaka - you should definitely bust out your kit and give it a go!

Hubert - your work on that little Nieuport racer is truly inspirational!

Hopefully I will be able to get on the P-26 in earnest in the next few weeks, but for now I will continue to check in to LSP when I can to follow the amazing work being posted on this site.

Cheers!

John.

• 1 month later...

Okay - finally found some time to get started on this one! Early days so far, and I like that Mr. Hasegawa found a not-so-subtle way to remind me where the kit came from in case I forgot during the build...   :rolleyes:  

xXXnGq4.jpg

tP0Wq1w.jpg

Cheers!

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog
Replacing Photobucket images

A little progress - in keeping with the plan to use only what came in the box on this one, I simply painted the IP and after a little dry-brushing it doesn't look bad at all. 

5Ou5oQh.jpg

I closed up the fuselage and couldn't resist dry-fitting the wings and horizontal stabilizers - can't complain one bit about the fit of this kit. It looks like very little work will be needed on the seams... these old Hasegawa kits are a real treat.

quTKcGJ.jpg

Cheers!

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog
Replacing Photobucket images