Henschel Hs 129B-2: DONE!!! (Now with more pics!)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I had another trip to the dentist today (glad that's over, now!), so I didn't get much time to work on the Henschel. I discovered that the instrument panel was slightly too big at the upper corners and sides, so I had to remove some more material, mostly from the inside of the fuselage. I had to fix some of the paint and a couple of levers after all the futzing with it, but once that's dry I should be able to close it up. It fits well enough now that I won't even need to glue the tub inside. Actually, I think it will align better if I just leave it "floating" in there. I should be able to get some pics tomorrow, once everything is installed.

Thanks again,

John

P.S. Learstang, I know who I'm going to be talking to when it comes time to do my Sturmovik(s) and that will be happening! ;)

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I was able to get the cockpit in and button up the fuselage, late last night. After that, I had to connect the seatbelts and support cables to the rear bulkhead, as well as installing the support cable spring. Unfortunately, the E-Z Line, which I initially used for the support cables, just didn't work like I had hoped. I had to cut it really short and, upon stretching it into place, they frayed. So, I ended up removing them and using stretched sprue, instead.

HenschelHs129B-2009.jpg

HenschelHs129B-2010.jpg

HenschelHs129B-2012.jpg

I also drilled out the holes where the gun barrels/blast tubes will be installed.

HenschelHs129B-2011.jpg

Next, I have to work the seams on the fuselage, then I'll probably start riveting everything.

Happy modeling,

John

Thanks, guys!

The thing that really surprises me is just how small this aircraft is. I had to actually hold the 1/32 fuselage of mine up to some 1/48 plans to believe that the scale was correct.

I know what you mean. I always used to wonder why the Germans never decided to up the power on this plane by using the BMW 801 engine. But, when you compare the nacelles to the nose of an FW 190A, the answer is obvious. The 801 is WAY too big! In addition to that, it's amazing how small and cramped the cockpit was on this plane. I would dare say that it makes the Bf 109 look....um...."roomy". :blink:

Thanks again,

John

• 1 month later...

This looks great! Is there any useful rivet patterns in the Military Aircraft in Detail book?

Bence

Thank you, Bence.

I've not been able to find any solid references on the rivet pattern. Some of the line drawings in the MAID book and Pegg's book give a suggestion, as do some of the artist's profiles, but nothing really solid. I'll be using a combination of those, as well as photos (especially in the nose area, where there are many good ones available) to do the rivets as realistically as possible.

I've been derailed from modeling for a while, but will be getting back to this, hopefully soon.

Thanks again,

John

• 6 months later...

Thanks to Kevin for moving this to the Group Build section!

It's going to be a bit before I get back on this one, as I have another project I'm trying to get finished. But, I'm hoping that having this thread moved over here will keep me motivated on this build.

Thanks again to Kevin and to all who have responded, so far!

John