Box art:

DSC00113_zpsda937c6e.jpg

Cartograf decals:

DSC00114_zpsbe2ce044.jpg

Two different schemes to choose from, December 1940:

DSC00115_zps1df7db80.jpg

Or July 1940:

DSC00116_zpsbfa067e9.jpg

I'm leaning towards the December one at the moment.

Starting assembling the engine a little. It actually needed filler.. so that'll have to cure before I can continue:

DSC00117_zps924725c1.jpg

DSC00118_zpsa67a0622.jpg

DSC00119_zpsc27e537d.jpg

DSC00120_zpsd8a4a32c.jpg

More to come later! :)

Gawd you are a machine. You'll be running out of 1/24 kit soon :-)

Looking forward to seeing you progress. I second the december spit, black/grey wing bottom looks great

Haha, running out of Airfix 1/24's at least! When that's done, Trumpeter's in line. ;) But as I recall it, Airfix made a Spitfire floatplane as well.. or was that Trumpeter, too? :0

Glad you agree with the December scheme, thanks for stopping by!

Sanded the filler smooth, added another couple of pieces on top.. sanded them to get them to align properly.. and then I had to add even more filler. :) Oh joy. The tiny thing in the middle of the last picture is hell to remove flash from! But I managed:

DSC00125_zpse1480241.jpg

DSC00128_zps3683ccba.jpg

DSC00129_zpsb723e6ae.jpg

DSC00130_zpsfbc433dc.jpg

DSC00131_zps44f07461.jpg

DSC00135_zpse79d52e8.jpg

DSC00137_zps3011bf10.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Starting to look like an engine now eh!

But alas. More problems with things simply not lining up. I'll get to that. I thought there'd be gaps at the exhausts once they were glued together as well, but as you can see all that it needed was some sanding. :) The one furthest back needed a little bit a filler though. Easypeasy. I also decided to glue all the hatches in the wings, simply because the "detail" (pfhaha) is not worth showing. Plus there'd be 16 of them in total... 4 on top of each wing, and 4 underneath. Eff that.

DSC00138_zpsed0f1aad.jpg

DSC00139_zps5d3ad44c.jpg

DSC00140_zps00461c2f.jpg

DSC00141_zps114a3e12.jpg

DSC00142_zpsdcca5fd5.jpg

DSC00143_zpsdcce2cfa.jpg

DSC00144_zpse2d93a0b.jpg

DSC00145_zps1b10fb37.jpg

DSC00146_zps4891036a.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Nice start on your Big Spit. After tackling the Hurricane, I thought you might need some R&R but alas, not to be. The Merline sure looks to be a model in itself with all the sanding and filler normally needed.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thank you Mal & Peter for your comments! Indeed, no time for R&R! Like we'd say in Sweden - ingen ro & ingen rast! ;)

The left-hand side exhausts are now glued in place, and I have started working on the right-hand side. Just finished applying filler at the exhaust furthest back, in fact. And, since I'm so nice, I'll treat you all with a dryfit of the engine with the propeller in place! The propeller has sinkmarks at the back of each blade that will need filling. Oh joy ...

DSC00147_zpsa2d70e5b.jpg

DSC00148_zps587f5cde.jpg

DSC00149_zps1719ff57.jpg

DSC00150_zpsf1d7779c.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, HÃ¥kan! :)

The engine is more or less complete now; I even sorted the problem with things not lining up. I also assembled the seat, armor plate, and instrument panel. I then proceeded to fill the sinkmarks at the back of each propeller blade. Still not a drop of paint though.. but it won't be long now.

... the pictures aren't uploading.

I now wish to do unspeakable things to Telenor employees. It involves removal of heads. :) I'll see what I can do.

With the net, that is.

EDIT: Uploading the pictures one by one seemed to do the trick for my slow net.

DSC00151_zpsc0e13578.jpg

DSC00152_zps35959c29.jpg

DSC00153_zps7a9c9aa7.jpg

DSC00154_zps4181227c.jpg

DSC00155_zpsbd109376.jpg

DSC00156_zpsdcca0ac8.jpg

DSC00157_zps62bf2b02.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

looking good Sparzanza!

nice seeing these old Airfix super kits being built-up, imho they're great kits.

Just a word of caution, on my example I had some issues with the engine alignment affecting the fit of the cowls, you may want to do some trial fitting before actually gluing the engine in place. Some of this was due to how the supercharger assembly was glued to the engine proper (pretty sure I glued it on crooked), however I also used the cowls from an MPC issue on an Airfix airframe, so who knows that may have also contributed to the issue. The cowl fit was not good though, but after a lot of fitting and trimming and shimming they fit great now, so they can be made to work.

look forward to seeing this one progress!

cheers

greg v.

Edited by gregv

looking good Sparzanza!

nice seeing these old Airfix super kits being built-up, imho they're great kits.

Just a word of caution, on my example I had some issues with the engine alignment affecting the fit of the cowls, you may want to do some trial fitting before actually gluing the engine in place. Some of this was due to how the supercharger assembly was glued to the engine proper (pretty sure I glued it on crooked), however I also used the cowls from an MPC issue on an Airfix airframe, so who knows that may have also contributed to the issue. The cowl fit was not good though, but after a lot of fitting and trimming and shimming they fit great now, so they can be made to work.

look forward to seeing this one progress!

cheers

greg v.

Thanks for stopping by, gregv. :) And thank you for the heads-up! I will definitely keep an eye out for the fit issues you mention. As it stands now the cowlings fit nice-ish, although I should've followed the instructions and waited with the exhausts until the fuselage halves had been joined.. they don't fit too well between the engine.. erm.. cage. Things. I forgot the word for it. But yeah. A little violence does the trick!

I absolutely loathe these ejector pin marks, flash things, or whatever they are.. sticking out at random places inside the cockpit.. they're thick and harder than concrete. My hobbyknife is too big and clumsy to remove them! I will have to switch a lot between the knife and some sandpaper to remove these. :(

The what I assume to be engine bearers had a terrible fit at the horse shoe item. The horse shoe actually broke when trying to glue the bearers in place... how about that.  On top of that, I'm not even sure the horse shoe is facing the right way, as the instructions said nothing of it. It is angled differently at each side. Lovely!

Other than that things are still moving forward, I guess...

DSC00158_zpsd416e150.jpg

DSC00159_zpsb1020e03.jpg

DSC00160_zpsbf676a99.jpg

DSC00161_zps77d75e27.jpg

DSC00162_zpsf1541b83.jpg