Revell F-14

LSP_Mike

I like the Tamiya F-14 better than the Revell, but you have to remember that when Revell came out with it, there were no others. I do have both because decades ago my mom got me a Revell to go with my Revell Navy Phantom. Every Trumpeter jet I bought had several issues that had to be addressed by aftermarket. As far as the cockpit detail of the Tomcat. That can be fixed as well as the canopy line.

Edited by Fred Jack

I like the Tamiya F-14 better than the Revell, but you have to remember that when Revell came out with it, there were no others. I do have both because decades ago my mom got me a Revell to go with my Revell Navy Phantom. Every Trumpeter jet I bought had several issues that had to be addressed by aftermarket. As far as the cockpit detail of the Tomcat. That can be fixed as well as the canopy line.

So your ok with buying aftermarket or sinking many hours to fix the Tamiya ie cockpit, updates, etc kit but you wont buy a far more detailed kit that doesnt need complete rescribing with more options because it needs aftermarket intakes?

Im sure ill understand one day but sinking 20 hours into rescribng, adding resin to a 40 year old kit to end up still hours behind the Trump kit in extra work to me doesnt make economic or life sense.

We only have so many free hours how much value do you place on yours?

I think its something everyone should value in dollars as a rule as to how aftermarket or kits are valued.

Good luck with your project....out of interest you can fix the Trump F-14 intakes without resin as well to the point they are not noticable.

Edited by Darren Howie

Tamiya forward fuselage is the real problem (not the positive panel lines), it is too low in profile as it approaches the pitot and does not have the front pear-shape look, Trumpeter is much more correct in this aspect but the rest of the kit has other issues (turtledeck, wing glove vanes, intakes etc.)

Edited by Luca

I think it has been 

Tamiya forward fuselage is the real problem (not the positive panel lines), it is too low in profile as it approaches the pitot and does not have the front pear-shape look, Trumpeter is much more correct in this aspect but the rest of the kit has other issues (turtledeck, wing glove vanes, intakes etc.)

I think it has been shown more than once that this is not true - the Tamiya fuselage is very close to the real thing. I have changed my mind regarding the Trumpeter kit, though. I might not be the first choice and it has lots of inaccuracies, but it looks great when properly built. I have seen a few well built examples on a model show and they were mighty impressive. I think I'll build mine without too many modifications (one day).

I think it has been shown more than once that this is not true - the Tamiya fuselage is very close to the real thing.

maybe you're right, but time ago I've checked the half starboard fuselage with some profiles and they didn't match from the starting of the windscreen to the end of the radome....

zlvryg.jpg

maybe those drawings were wrong, I do not know.

cheers

Edited by Luca