P-51D

Monty Python

Well, going back to "which one is best", what is the opinion regarding most suitable kit for Israeli Mustang? I've done no homework yet but closely watching great Mark's build.

Right now, it's the Tamiya kit. I think all of the Mustangs the Israelis got were late models that had the tail fillet, and right now the only release of the Revell kit is an early D without the tail fillet.

However, I'd wait for the late release of the Revell kit as there are flashed over holes in the wings for rockets.

'. . . what is the opinion regarding most suitable kit for Israeli Mustang?'

See here:

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/aa-mideast/israel/af/types/NA_P-51_Mustang.htm

Using the above information, serial number 44-72xxx were P-51D-20's.  I suppose.  Somewhere there is bound to be information defining what type those with serial numbers in the 44-6xxx were.  There are others who can tell you what types the Tamiya kit represents, and probably what types all of the others represents.  With the serial number, type, the above page, and your scheme, you should be able to build a model of the P-51D using the kit that matches the type that you want to represent.

Sincerely,

Mark

Gee whiz, you American modellers are lucky only having to pay US$24 or so for this kit.  The kit is retailing in Aussie hobby shops for around the US$60 mark and Hannants are selling it for about US$42.  I just paid US$60 and rationalised it by knowing I'm continuing to support my LHS.   I know the importers have to make a profit, as do the retailers, but I can't help feeling that we're getting shafted down under.

'. . . what is the opinion regarding most suitable kit for Israeli Mustang?'

See here:

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/aa-mideast/israel/af/types/NA_P-51_Mustang.htm

Using the above information, serial number 44-72xxx were P-51D-20's.  I suppose.  Somewhere there is bound to be information defining what type those with serial numbers in the 44-6xxx were.  There are others who can tell you what types the Tamiya kit represents, and probably what types all of the others represents.  With the serial number, type, the above page, and your scheme, you should be able to build a model of the P-51D using the kit that matches the type that you want to represent.

Sincerely,

Mark

The Revell kit is currently only a D-5. The main differences between the early and late Mustangs like the D-20s are the fin fillet, the elevators, and the IP. The Tamiya D kit has both tails, different IPs, and both elevators so you can build almost any D model from what's in the box. I think the D/K kit only has the late filleted tail, so it's really only for a later Models. Any of the Tamiya kits are going to be fine for an Israeli P-51. Also, Isracast has, or had, a IAF Mustang detail set for the Tamiya kit. It's mostly specific armament like rocket rails and bombs, so you don't strictly need the set to make an IAF Mustang.

Is this kit actually out yet; can you actually buy it? I've been looking and I don't see it available anywhere.

Brad

Howdy Brad, have you checked ebay lately?  Here's one.  Just ordered it.  Fair price, even with shipping.  I couldn't wait any longer.  Was waiting for them to appear on the selves at Hobby Lobby, but no telling when that will be.  I just want to fondle that plastic.  It'll be like getting a fix.  Got to dig now for those FRENESI decals that I don't remember where I stashed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-P-51D-Mustang-1-32-scale-airplane-model-kit-new-3944/192440844068?epid=9013633601&hash=item2cce5e3f24:g:mdUAAOSw~T9ablmU

Edited by Patrick HMD

Howdy Brad, have you checked ebay lately?  Here's one.  Just ordered it.  Fair price, even with shipping.  I couldn't wait any longer.  Was waiting for them to appear on the selves at Hobby Lobby, but no telling when that will be.  I just want to fondle that plastic.  It'll be like getting a fix.  Got to dig now for those FRENESI decals that I don't remember where I stashed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-P-51D-Mustang-1-32-scale-airplane-model-kit-new-3944/192440844068?epid=9013633601&hash=item2cce5e3f24:g:mdUAAOSw~T9ablmU

Out of stock as of 1/30/18

Is this kit actually out yet; can you actually buy it? I've been looking and I don't see it available anywhere.

Brad

Where is the Revell P-51D-5... the whole world wonders. I have three on back order from three different US firms. No word on any.

Dick