Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Looks wonderful!!!     I like the weathering and paint very much.  

Also, as a note, I would DEFINITELY call or e-mail Tim @ GMF, and get him to send you a replacement set of wheels. Great guys to work with, Im sure they can help you out.

Isn't that nice.  Well done.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark! So glad you like it!

Looks wonderful!!!     I like the weathering and paint very much.  

Also, as a note, I would DEFINITELY call or e-mail Tim @ GMF, and get him to send you a replacement set of wheels. Great guys to work with, Im sure they can help you out.

Thank you Brian! I do my best within my own limits and so far it has paid off.

I did e-mail GMF the moment I noticed that I couldn't fit the rims in the tyres properly, but alas... no reply as of yet. Perhaps the man is busy, who knows. Anders gave me a tip in a previous post that I am going to try out later though... but the tailwheel is forever flurped I'm afraid. :(

Flashback: I did build this kit once... in my teens. The box was white back then. It had the "Big beautiful doll" scheme. I bought a rattle can of aluminium rim paint from a gas station to paint it with. It was glorious and I displayed it on my shelf with great pride... until the paint started peeling off in small chunks. Hrm. Oh well. It must have been because I never cleaned my models before painting back then. :lol:

Hopefully it will go better with this one!

Very nice Sparzanza..Love to see these so called "older" kits being dressed up for a night out.
You're doing great,really like the wheels..easy to see the enjoyment you've found here.
Keep going. :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Hi Sparzanza,

Very nice to see how you are making the best of this old girl.

Like it a lot!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for stopping by and dropping a comment! I'm doing my best!

Very nice Sparzanza..Love to see these so called "older" kits being dressed up for a night out.

You're doing great,really like the wheels..easy to see the enjoyment you've found here.

Keep going. :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Thanks William! I am indeed enjoying myself! Fingers crossed for a continued "smooth" run!

Here's an update. I did what Anders told me on page one; namely dropping the Grey Matter Figures aftermarket wheels into some hot (nearly boiling) water for a few seconds, and then fish them up and give them a little squeeze. It wasn't perfect, but they're far rounder than when they arrived! The rims slips in... ish. So! I started modifying the (normally unseen) kit wheelhub that is supposed to go between the original rim halves and slot into the landing gear leg. The GMF wheels came with holes instead of any kind of attachment point, so I was forced to make something resembling one. Incoming bad pictures!

I took the kit part (no. 2) and cut around the stick in the middle with a plier until there was no wheelhub left - resulting in this little device (no. 1). I then glued this stick into the kit landing gear, and voilá! Attachment point!

DSC00113_zpsgzein5lb.jpg

DSC00114_zpsb0oky5n6.jpg

The GMF wheels fits. Not the best solution in the world, but hey... it works for me.

DSC00115_zpsreocdugf.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Just love the start on your 'Stang and the interior work looks fantastic. Glad to see you solved the GMF wheel problems  but I wouod have done what Brian suggested and I'm sure a perfect set would have been on their way. Following with great interest as I already have build a few Tamiya 'Stangs and there are more in the stash.

Sparz

Just love the start on your 'Stang and the interior work looks fantastic. Glad to see you solved the GMF wheel problems  but I wouod have done what Brian suggested and I'm sure a perfect set would have been on their way. Following with great interest as I already have build a few Tamiya 'Stangs and there are more in the stash.

Thanks Peter for dropping by and leaving a comment! I'm pretty sure the Airfix Mustang cannot compare to the Tamiya ones though! :lol:

Hello,

Nice work on your P-51!!!

Cheers

Boris

Heeey Boris, glad you stopped by! Thanks for your comment!

The product line is currently at a little stand still as my medium head assembly for the airbrush seem to have clogged up when using Vallejo's primers, so it's taken apart and put in acetone for a few days. I do have my fine head assembly along with the fine needle of course, but I do not have any detail work to spray paint yet. So... until the head assembly is cleaned up (I tried by hand but I just couldn't get into all the tight spots), there won't be any worthwhile updates.

Right then! These are the last images you will see of the Mustang in two halves. I've just got a couple of tiny fiddly bits to tidy up and it'll get closed up. The engine, firewall, instrument panel, cockpit floor etc are all glued into place! Phew.

DSC00117_zpsfninma5z.jpg

DSC00118_zpsqvoolejx.jpg

DSC00119_zpsbvr9z1o0.jpg

EDIT: Oh, I see I forgot to clean up the wash on the oil tank! Thank you Mr. Cellphone!

Edited by Sparzanza

Geezzzz Spars, where did this come from ? Just plane missed it. :doh: She looks great ! love the engins, hell I like everything.....Harv :popcorn: