Marines F-4J

Dragon

Mike looking great! Nice pit!

Thanks Teresa  :D

Was able to get some time at the bench between cooking, feasting, and visiting; I was needing a break from the chaos!.  The fit of this kit is 180 degrees different than the 4C.  I've had issues with the exhaust section, wings and the belly section.  I guess if we didn't get these challenges once in awhile a build would get boring......

Here's a couple of pics of the Sierra Hotel exhaust nozzles:

DSC_0543_zps92afb603.jpg

DSC_0541_zps754e0226.jpg

I'm planning on the next couple of days being all mine to spend at the bench, and next up will be the office seats, canopies and then the paint shop.

Thanks for stopping by,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul,

At the moment, I'm stalled on this build.  I want to build it with the wing tips up, but I haven't figured out a way to mount them.  I have a couple of ideas, but I haven't had time to try these ideas out yet.  It's too bad Tamiya didn't provide a means to do this.

And with the holidays upon us, I probably won't be able to focus on the build until after the New Year, so I'm really happy you extended the group build until the end of January!

Mike

• 7 months later...
  • 8 years later...

After nine plus years on the SOD, three moves, and numerous contemplations to trash the build, it is finally done! It is inaccurate and has numerous build mistakes/miscues, but it looks the part to me. Although, it really needs some weathering to make it look right. I experimented with some oil paint weathering, but I stopped as I didn’t want to get bogged down and lose motivation again sending it back to the SOD. I need to watch more of Mike Rinaldi’s OPR videos and do more practicing, so I feel comfortable enough with oil weathering to fully attempt on my next build.

oCdZziW.jpg