Carrier-Based Corsair Bubble Tops (USMC?)

Bill Cross

My F4U-1A kit just arrived, and I'm looking at potential builds. Since my last Corsair was a Leatherneck one from the Cactus Air Force (therefore wings extended), I'd love to do a carrier-based build this time with folded wings. Any suggestions on planes, especially USMC planes aboard ship? I know I could do a factory-delivery aboard a "jeep" carrier, but would prefer a fighting airframe with some weathering potential. TIA as always, you guys are the best.

Having a particular affection for them, I would suggest VMF-214 Black Sheep from just after Pappy got shot down.

Copied from wikipedia article:

"VMF-214 was reformed on January 29, 1944 at Marine Corps Air Station Santa Barbara near Goleta, California. They deployed aboard the USS Franklin (CV-13) on February 4, 1945 to join on-going operations on Okinawa. On March 19, a Japanese bomber hit the USS Franklin. The explosion and resulting fire caused 772 deaths aboard the Franklin including 32 Black Sheep members. Many Black Sheep aircraft were launching for a strike on mainland Japan at the time. One, First Lieutenant Ken Linder, was given half credit for shooting down the Japanese bomber that struck the Franklin. This ended VMF-214 involvement in World War II. During the course of the war, the squadron suffered 23 pilots killed in action or missing and lost 48 aircraft to accidents or enemy contact."

or the Korean war

"When the Korean War broke out, VMF-214 was en route to Hawaii on board the USS Badoeng Strait (CVE-116) hosting midshipmen from the Naval Academy. The squadron's commanding officer, Major Robert P. Keller, was summoned to headquarters in Hawaii where he met with then Colonel Victor Krulak. Krulak bluntly asked, "Major, are you ready to go to war?"

Flying eight F4U-4B Corsairs on August 3, 1950, VMF-214 became the first Marine squadron to see action in Korea, when they launched from the USS Sicily (CVE-118) and executed a raid against enemy installations near Inchon. After the F4Us delivered their incendiary bombs and rockets, they followed up with a series of strafing runs.[8][9] Flying from the USS Badoeng Strait (CVE-116) and the USS Boxer (CV-21), the Black Sheep completed two combat tours in Korea. They participated in key battles, including the Inchon landing and the UN's defeat and withdrawal from Chosin Reservoir. In these and others battles, they provided nearly continual air cover, interdicting supply and communication lines, and inflicting heavy damage on numerous ground emplacements, and enemy armor."

Edited by 322SqnNL

Ordered, thanks. I can do either squadron and remain loyal to my dad's legacy as a self-described Jarhead.

And in a bizarre twist of fate, I lived just off the old ammo dumps of the NAS at Goleta (which later became Santa Barbara airport) in college. The mounds were right there at the border of the university and the student community of Isla Vista.

Edited by Bill Cross

Bill, something worth considering would be an early -ish F4U-1D, or what may actually be a late FG-1A that deployed aboard USS ESSEX when the Corsair was re introduced to the fleet. The aircraft featured the short tailwheel strut, 13'-4" Hamilton Standard propeller, no visible rocket subs, a drop tank on the centerline, framed sliding hood, and may or may not have had the 63-gallon tanks in the outer wings. Saw a picture in the Jim Sullivan Corsair book. Can't say for certain if it was a Goodyear- or Vought- built plane, but it can be built from the -1A kit. Have one planned in 72nd scale for my CAG markings collection, because everyone else would do McCampbell's Hellcat.

d-lusional

Edited by David Hansen

VMF-321 flew their F4U-1As off the USS Kwajalein in June of 1944.

Decals available on our web site...

www.fundekals.com

:)

J

I can vouch for that set, as I just got it in hand a few days ago.. It and the downloadable instrution sheets (23 pages or so) with color period pics are exceptionally nice.

Bill, something worth considering would be an early -ish F4U-1D, or what may actually be a late FG-1A that deployed aboard USS ESSEX when the Corsair was re introduced to the fleet. The aircraft featured the short tailwheel strut, 13'-4" Hamilton Standard propeller, no visible rocket subs, a drop tank on the centerline, framed sliding hood, and may or may not have had the 63-gallon tanks in the outer wings. Saw a picture in the Jim Sullivan Corsair book. Can't say for certain if it was a Goodyear- or Vought- built plane, but it can be built from the -1A kit. Have one planned in 72nd scale for my CAG markings collection, because everyone else would do McCampbell's Hellcat.

d-lusional

OK, where do I come up with the strut and prop? I believe there's a centerline drop tank in the kit IIRC. Sliding hood? Outer wing tanks? Help!

Hi Bill,

As you suspected in your original posting, more Corsairs were delivered by carrier than operated off carriers.  Unfortunately, all the -1As were delivered; when the first Corsairs were sent to war operating from carriers, it was already the last week of 1944, and all the aircraft were -1Ds.  (The exceptions were the -2 nightfighters' brief operations, and VF-17 - yanked from carrier duty just before going into combat.)

The sole identifying difference between the -1D and the -1A was the addition of twin pylons under the center section of the wing.  Other changes were introduced during -1D production, but many of them could be retrofitted to earlier models.  The good news is that many of the features (rockets, pylons) could be removed from -1Ds for operations.  The bad news is that all the carrier operated -1Ds I've seen already had the "one-piece" frameless canopies.

The wings could usually be folded on shore-based -1As, which allows for some great weathering.  If that little open space that the tail hook peeked out of has been plated over, you're looking at a fixed wing Corsair, so don't fold the wings...

(The -1A/-1D book went to the printer today, so we should have lots more details available next month.)

Cheers,

Dana

So should I cancel my order with fundecals? I don't know where I would find the parts of changing the Tamiya kit to the later 1D. And don't really want to.

Both Revell and Trumpeter sell what is supposed to be a -1D, perhaps the correct parts are in one of those kits?

Bill, for the Corsair which i saw, it can be built directly from the kit without any additions other than a change on the paint scheme and if you really want to be picky, covering up the landing light on the lower left wing. It had the earlly propeller, framed canopy and short tail wheel strut.

I'm in a little bit of disagreement with Dana about one thing: the outer 63 gallon wing tanks. They have prominent fuel filler caps on the wing upper surfaces and sabre drain masts on the wing lower surfaces and its one thing i look for to tell if i'm looking at a -1A or -1D Corsair. Now, whether its a Goodyear, Vought, or Brewster Corsair is another matter.

Am i correct in understanding you wanted a blue Corsair with a minimum of work? Unfortunately i cannot produce the photo right here, right now.

david

Ordered, thanks. I can do either squadron and remain loyal to my dad's legacy as a self-described Jarhead.

And in a bizarre twist of fate, I lived just off the old ammo dumps of the NAS at Goleta (which later became Santa Barbara airport) in college. The mounds were right there at the border of the university and the student community of Isla Vista.

As in Flying Leathernecks Movie we have to move to that dust bowl. Yeah My family is from there to :thumbsup:       Live south of there now :coolio:       Also know you are a tank guy to Bill. The USMC Piranha tank turrets are made right off of Holster ave north of the Base.

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Am i correct in understanding you wanted a blue Corsair with a minimum of work? Unfortunately i cannot produce the photo right here, right now.

david

Yes. I certainly am not interested in kit-bashing with the Revell or Trumpy Corsairs if Tamiya is bringing out a 1D as Jennings (rightly, I'm sure) has indicated.

The solution MAY be to build this one, either as a landlubber or part of VMF-231, and wait for a 1D to do the tragic USS Franklin boys from "Black Sheep."

Gee, what a bad idea having to buy a THIRD Corsair.... :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: