G-EBLV DH60 Cirrus Moth 1:32 scratchbuild

RLWP

Shaping up very nicely Richard. I am envious of those able to scratch build their own models.

Said the man who just did this!:

514EDAC1-8A0A-446F-A49A-5B5FEEAB00DF-X3.

I was going to comment on your O-2 thread, your vac moulding kit is almost identical to mine.

And I started scratch building partly because I got bored chopping kits about. So watch out, you are already on the slippery slope to scratchbuilding  :D

Richard

Mixed bag this time:

The fuel tank is pretty much done:

tank-2.JPG

The rear seat is made:

seat-1.JPG

Terrible pictures, not enough contrast to show the details

The cover for the elevator linkage and the cowling for the tailplane are done:

Fuselage-8.JPG

And some of the panelling around the engine:

Fuselage-7.JPG

Those engine panels. I was going to vac form them, the balsa plug was getting to be rather complicated. Then I had another look and realised a lot of them are made from flat sheet bent into place. Possibly only the nose cone is doubly curved

There's another story in that last picture. I knocked my bottle of solvent over - again. So I have stuck it down to a jar lid with double sided tape. Now it's much harder to knock over

Hopefully...

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Lovely work Richard.

Have you ever thought about making the engine panels from sheet metal? The compound nose could perhaps be made from pewter sheet worked over a former...

Torben

I'm OK with the nose, I made a similar one for my RAF AT:

cowling-1.JPG

A small balsa plug like that isn't too hard, and I don't mind getting it wrong a couple of times. The AT has a vac formed nose made from the one shown

My problem is mostly interpreting this lot:

dh60_geblv_2_03_cd.JPG

http://www.martinwilkinson.co.uk/martinphotos/cirrus_moth_blv.htm. I have one of Martin's photosets that I work from

There are upper panels that developed from this sort of design:

De_Havilland_D.H.60_Moth_%28OH-EJA%29_K-

I have been trying to make a single balsa plug for the whole thing, including the nose and underside. Now I have spotted the underside is bent, not beaten sheet, some of the top panels make more sense

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I guess you will only vac the nose section. The panels around the engine opening are just bent and simple curved sections.

Great progress here!

Alain

Bent, yes. Curved, yes. Simple - maybe!

Notice how aft of the engine OH-EJA (the silver one) has a vertical section joining the bottom cowl to the upper with two sharp corners. G-EBLV has the lower sharp corner and a curved upper.

Y'know, OH-EJA looks like an easier build....

Richard

The instrument panels are in place

Panels-1.JPG

Those are the wonderful Airscale instrument decals from a variety of sets. Many thanks to Peter for his help with those. The dodgy painting is all mine

I also have the outer skin for the cockpits:

Fuselage-9.JPG

I made one of those, only to find one of the bulkheads ran across the opening  :blush:

Richard