Aerotech Macchi M.39

Zero77

Hello,

This build is finally done !

It was longer that i thought, given the very few parts. But the adjusting, preparation and paint job were very time consuming, even if there is only one color. I am not very satisfied with my finish, which is gloss but with a kind of orange skin when you look from very close. I think i am still not very used to spraycan work, and gloss finish doesn't forgive any mistake.

I used the PE streamlined wires supplied in the kit for the rigging, and they were a paint to install, i mean a pain to get them tight. I think i should have glued them only at one end, and let the other end free in its hole, so i wont have any tension issue. The big problem is that the wings and floats are imperceptibly moving, so when you glue the wire you think it's tight, but when you put the model down on the table, the wire is not tight anymore. Frustrating ! But that's not very noticeable, so i can live with that.

My build is also not totally accurate, as it seems that there must be a small clear deflector just aft the windscreen but i lack some close up reference pictures and it is a bit tricky to add this kind of stuff on the windscreen. I also think that the exhaust tubes should not be so long, but it's not easy to see on the period pictures (and the museum model is a trainer which do not have the same engine), and anyway i find it so cool with the exhausts this way, that i'm happy with them.

Anyway, i'm still very happy to have finished it, and it add a very colorful aircraft in my display. I plan to make as much Schneider Trophy racers as possible. The next one will certainly be the Supermarine S.6B, or perhaps the Macchi MC.72.

Sorry for the pictures, they are not very good, but night comes early at this time, and it's already dark when i come home. I'll shoot some better pictures next weekend, in day light. :)

20150208_194839_zpsca6ddf3f.jpg
20150208_194833_zpsd02a0cd7.jpg
20150208_194826_zps62f68358.jpg
20150208_194819_zps9d261e60.jpg
20150208_194812_zps9a17a23e.jpg
20150208_194745_zps510d8e57.jpg
20150208_194540_zpsdd1095a5.jpg
20150208_194501_zps794ca2c5.jpg
20150208_194458_zps8ce10aab.jpg

Yes, at least there was one, from Aerotech. I think it is now OOP, but in late 2014, there was still some S.6 (the 1929 version with asymetrical floats) available.

You may find some second hand S.6B, that's how i bought mine. The kit looks very nice, and i've already test fit it (fuselage and wings only), and the result seems to be very good.

• 11 months later...

Thanks a lot Maru !

I really enjoy this build. Easy and tricky at the same time (resin + glossy racer finish), but very nice kit. I have many other Aerotech Schneider trophy aircraft kits in the stash and i think i am going to build a Supermarine S.6B in 2016.

I've just finished an amazing book, My golden Flying year, by Air Commodore D'arcy Greig, which ends when the author participated to the 1929 Schneider trophy, with a Supermarine S.5 (one of his mates with the S.6 won the race), and it just reboosted my interest for floatplane racers. :)

VERY VERY nice book, one of the most interesting and enjoyable books about aviation i was able to read. It takes place between the last months of WW1 and the end of the 20's. The author was night flying Fe.2b during WW1, when he was very young (18 year old if i remember correctly), then he was based in Iraq for several years during the arab insurection. Very interesting, too. Then he was back in the UK and was a teacher at the Central Flying School. He did a few races and aerobatic shows. He was then the leader of the high speed team, for about a year (1928) and then participate in the 1929 Schneider trophy race. He was a very fun guy, always doing jokes, and the book is very funny, i laughed many times while reading it. Highly recommended !