1:16 Scale Scratch-built PT-17 Stearman

Bil

New to the forum and I've been away from modeling for about 25 years, so please be gentle.

My background is in 3D computer modeling, and I build highly detailed engineering models for the US military (primarily the US Navy), including diesel and turbine engines, ship's boilers, etc.  This example is of an LHD Boiler, every detail is represented in these models:

crossContrast.png

I knew that for my first subject i wanted to scratch-build, as the research required is right up my alley... unfortunately with such a long distance between now and the last time I modeled my skills are very rusty.. and I was attempting something that I had never tried before: building with metal, using a vacuum form machine, 3D printing of parts, etc.  I hope this thread will not bore you.  This will be a slow build, and I will be learning as I go, so it might take a while to complete.

As for the PT-17, I have access to all of the engineer drawings through the Air Corps Library, which I encourage you to check out if you are unfamiliar with it, also I live in Virginia Beach and am within 30 minutes of the Military Aviation Museum which has many flying examples of WW1 (all reproductions) and WW2 aircraft (many originals in flying condition), and of course they have a Stearman (an Navy N2S which is nearly identical to the Army's Pt-17).. which will simplify my research.

IMG_1159.JPG

As I said I am learning as I go, and so far have only completed one assembly, and it still requires some additional details... the rudder and vertical stab, shown below.. I will go into more detail on it and the other assemblies that are under construction in future posts.

Thank you for your attention, and I am so glad I found this forum.

Bil

Rudder and Vertical Stab - aluminum, brass, and yes, plastic:

IMG_1228.JPG

Edited by Bil

hi and welcome, this is the perfect place for you. May I recommend you check out some of the scratchbuilt aircraft that others have made, such as Peter Castle's 1/18 Spitfire. Many of the techniques would be relevant for your build.

Here's his Spit build - a long read but well worth it:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61418&hl=+118%20+spitfire&page=1